Cosmo's Limping. It's Osteo.

Whew! :D Now we can breathe again... :yay

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well, she's seemed better, then worse, then better, then worse. I don't know enough about Rimadyl to know if 1/2 a pill twice a day is enough to make the limp disappear for a while or if it's that she's getting better and then does something to aggravate it again. I'm praying it's just the latter. I've been trying to keep her quiet and still but it's not always feasible, particularly if Chase comes lumbering in her direction.

So, I've got to make an appointment to take her back to the vet. I know I need to insist on x-rays now, anything else? I'm not having a lot of luck keeping my fears at bay, but I'm trying. Please send any prayers you can spare Cosmo's direction.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest argolola

Tracey, this sounds just like what we went through with Lola when she was 7. She was limping off and on and was on Rimadyl for nearly a year. Turns out it was most likely a corn (no one could see it) and combination of her walking on asphalt road. We can't let her walk on certain types of surfaces now and she does fine.

Your sweet Cosmo will be in my prayers anyway.

We went through something very similar a few months ago with Sunny. He was limping off and on, the vet could find nothing wrong and we feared the worst. We decided to take him to a greyhound vet for a second opinion and he found that the problem was actually in Sunny's neck. A few months on and several chiropratic sessions later Sunny is well on the mend. So, I don't know if you could maybe get an opinion from an experienced greyhound vet, or a chiropractor?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Chances are it's something small and simple. Sending prayers anyways.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MnMDogs

I think you said the vet thoroughly manipulated her leg? Like Argolola suggested, did he check each of the pads for corns? Mork has a pronounced limp on his back right (along with the usual limp on front left and right...), and that corn isn't visible. We only know that it's from that one particular pad from squeezing and prodding all the toes.

I'm hoping it's nothing for your Cosmo girl. When do you take her in?

I talked to the vet's office today and we have an appointment next Thursday afternoon. The reason it's so far off is because the vet is undergoing chemo himself right now but his office thought I should see him next time and not one of his subs because he's the Grey-savvy one (he used to be the track doc for Shoreline - he knows his stuff). His staff called him though and he wants Cosmo on Previcox for the next 10 days so we went down and picked up the prescription. I also dropped off the xrays we had done at the e-vet last Fall. I'm not sure why they wanted them, I just mentioned them and they asked me to go get them. She had an infection in her wrist last Sept. Anyway, for the next week my goal is to keep her as still as possible and see if she improves on the new med. Please pray she does. Thanks for all the good vibes and prayers, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

(by the way, the sub vet didn't look between her toes or anything. Her pads look fine to me, at least compared to Morgan who does have a corn we've dealt with. I'll make sure he gets a good look in between her toes next week in case it's something less obvious.)

modify_inline.gif

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus

Many prayers for Cosmo Tracey. They may want to compare the x-rays to see if there have been any obvious changes.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest argolola

Lola's toe pad had a tiny, tiny pinhole which was real hard to see. If you dampen a cotton ball and wipe off the pads, you may see something very small.

Hugs to your sweet little girl.

sending prayers! Have you done a tick panel?

All the sub vet thought we needed to do was test for lyme, which was negative. Back when we got Cosmo I was told she had tested positive for Babesia in a random check at the kennel and been treated. I told sub vet this but it didn't seem to mean anything to him. I can ask about a tick panel from the real vet Dr. Tosici when I see him next week.

She seemed so much better yesterday, but today she's barely putting any weight on her foot at all. She's on one Previcox every 24 hours. I just gave her today's about 45 minutes ago and I hope she gets some relief. I do not have a good feeling about this. :(

Once the drugs kicked in (finally) she was able to get comfortable and is now sleeping (and just as I wrote that she woke up and bolted from her bed. Now she's lying back down but wth was that about?). She seems much better now overall. I was struggling with whether to take her to the e-vet since I hate all our options around here. I hope I can keep her comfortable enough till Thursday.

Hi Tracey,

did you check her for EHRLICHIA tick disease? The on and off limping is a pretty typical sign of the disease

plus some on and off fever and loss of appetite.

Well, I hope it's nothing serious, hugs to Cosmo and you,

greetings,

Marion

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Hi Tracey,

did you check her for EHRLICHIA tick disease? The on and off limping is a pretty typical sign of the disease

plus some on and off fever and loss of appetite.

Well, I hope it's nothing serious, hugs to Cosmo and you,

greetings,

Marion

Hi Marion! Good to see you around here again, just sorry it's for this.

So far they have only tested for Lyme. I will ask about doing a full tick panel at our vet appt. I hope the appetite loss isn't mandatory with the ehrlichia, because Cosmo hasn't missed a meal. At any rate, I would certainly prefer this to the dreaded O. Thanks for the good thoughts. I'll keep you posted.

Cosmo's back to the vet this afternoon at 3:45EST. She's still been limping, sometimes less, sometimes more. Please send good thoughts and I'll update tonight after we get back.

Guest Energy11

We are thinking good thoughts and praying for Cosmo, here! DO keep us all posted!

Love ya! Dee, Curfew, Goldie, Oakly, Staggerlee and Cari :grouphug:bighug:getwell:hope:candle

We're back. Dr. Tosici immediately found a large lesion on her right shoulder. I don't know if the other (substitute) vet missed it or if it just wasn't visible 16 days ago. We go back at 7:15 Saturday morning for x-rays, including of her chest to see if amputation is even an option, assuming this is osteo, which he thinks it probably is. In the meantime he told us to stop the Previcox and he gave us cephalaxin because she has an infection on her elbow from chewing it and he gave us prednisone as well, but frankly, the whole thing is kind of a blur right now, so I'm not sure what it's for. Anyone hazard a guess? Dr. Tosici said rather than waste time with a second opinion he's going to have the xrays looked at by a radiologist.

Janet (or anyone else who knows), just so I'm ready, can you tell me the best way to contact Dr. Couto and OSU and what they'll need for starters so I don't waste more time? Thanks.

I cried all the way home so I'm pretty much numb right now. I can't believe this is happening to Cosmo. Please pray for her.

Guest caiteag

Prayers are on the way.

As for OSU.. I don't know from experience, but I understand they want results of any tests done and copies of x-rays (digital x-rays are better)... beyond that, I am sure others will be able to help you further.

*HUGS* to you and gentle scritches to Cosmo.