Gracie Ripped A Toenail Out

Last night I went to bed early and was in dreamland when Chris came into the bedroom and said that she needed help. Apparently I have sleep startle. :lol

There were bloody paw prints all over the living room and trailing outside. Gracie apparently ripped a nail at some point, and after going out for the last turnout of the night, Chris came back inside and found the bloody trail. We still haven't found the nail. 

I ended up having to muzzle her and rinsed the wound with warm water from a spray bottle, and eventually had to use some styptic powder to stop the bleeding. It was not going to stop bleeding and Gracie was not going to let me put pressure on it or bandage it. 

Gracie doesn't like to have her feet touched. Prior to coming to live with us, she fell into the pool at her previous owner's house and ripped out a lot of her nails while clawing at the sides of the pool until she was found and rescued. As a result, she does not like to have her feet messed with. The little girl who lays her head on my chest was growling at me like Cujo last night. :lol

We are waiting for the vet to call and see when they can get her in. I'm hoping they can numb the area and do a good cleaning on the wound. She is KNOT going to let us do it. The quick is exposed and she keeps trying to lick the area. It's always something.....

• Sad 2
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:yikes  Poor Gracie! And poor you and Chris! I know what you are going though, Fletcher did not like having his feet messed with and he was a klutz. I was so grateful his dewclaws had been removed. I hope the vet can get her in and take care of her poor toe. 
I wonder how she did it?

Sigh. Gracie, wot the flock? Seamie :heart :brokenheart had SLO and we went thru a lot of crime scenes but managed to deal with them at home  I hope they can see your wild girl asap and get that taken care of. Let us know :bighug

Sleep startle, tho :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

26 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

Ow ow ow. Poor girl! Good plan to let the pros deal with Growly Gracie. Peroxide for the carpet. A nap for you. :nod 

We've found that using a product called My Pet Peed also removes blood stains in the carpet. The blood literally turns clear when you spray it, then just blot up the liquid. The stuff is amazing. 

I think her nails are weak and break easily after the pool incident. I think she either snagged a nail on the carpet, or did it outside in the yard earlier in the evening. For a hound that never raced, she runs like a race doggy in the back yard every chance she gets. 

Bleeding is still stopped, but it's a typical Monday at the vet which means we aren't getting in today unless it's a true emergency. We have an appt for tomorrow morning. Gracie is doing fine and walking on it without issue. The vet is more of a precaution at this point than anyhting. 

• Like 3

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Ouch! Poor Gracie!

Also:

What a mess!

I'm glad the bleeding has stopped and My Pet Peed was a miracle cleaner. I hope the vet visit goes well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Could you get her to stand in a bucket of epsom salt water??  Even for five minutes while she licks a peanut butter muzzle or lick mat on the wall would help clean and sooth the wound.  Of course, it could also start the bleeding again. 

Do you have any Yunan Baio??  You may want to get some as it works better than quick stop - not ouchie - and can also be given internally to help stop bleeding.  I keep it on hand for Felicity as she has that bleeding issue.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ouch! Buddy was clumsy and broke one of his nails a couple of times. He limped a bit but once the nail came off properly it didn’t seem to bother him much although it must have hurt. The car looked like a crime scene when we took him to the vet. I hope Gracie isn’t too bothered by her impromptu manicure

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Back from the vet. The vet had us give her a couple of Gabapentin 2 hours before the appointment to mellow her out about having her feet touched. The vet did an exam and basically the nail surrounding the quick is missing, but there is no damage to the paw or anything that would lead to infection. Gracie is getting around normally, not limping or having any trouble with that paw. 

She is going to get some metacam for any pain she might be having from it, but it needs no treatment at this point. If it becomes apparent that it is causing an issue, we will take her back in to have the quick trimmed and cauterized, but for now it doesn't appear that we need to put her through that process. The nail should grow back normally, and there is no sign of SLO. Her other nails all look healthy.

Gracie said her day was "groovy" thanks to the gabapentin. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

Glad there is no sign of complications. I wish gabapentin had that effect on me :lol

I'm with you on that one. I had horrible side effects from it. Didn't stay on it long. 

Excellent update, Gracie! 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Glad she is on the mend! They sure can injure themselves in the oddest ways. :rolleyes:

G had the same experience when we went for his Librela shot, a bunch of Gaba and he was all, Dave's not here, man! He hates having his feet touched, too, but sometimes he'll be good and let someone trim his nails with out a fuss. Go figure.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Groovy Gracie! :lol

It's great that there don't seem to be any concerns. I hope she heals without further incident. Perhaps a steady diet of groovy ... :rofl 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Many years ago one of my greyhounds lost a nail and there was that little quick. It reminded me of.........if you've ever peeled boiled shrimp and pinched the shell of the tail for an easy pop off, there's what looks like a little quick on the end.  I swear, I am not on drugs.

For Gracie :dogcookie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Felicity started on gaba a few weeks ago.  So far I have seen no indication she's feeling groovy.  <_<  I wish I did because she hates going to the vet due to the floors.  It has worked for her pain however, which makes me feel bad because we've been trying to figure out weird morning and evening panting episodes for about a year.

Glad Gracie is going to be fine!!  :kiss2 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

15 hours ago, macoduck said:

Many years ago one of my greyhounds lost a nail and there was that little quick. It reminded me of.........if you've ever peeled boiled shrimp and pinched the shell of the tail for an easy pop off, there's what looks like a little quick on the end.  I swear, I am not on drugs.

For Gracie :dogcookie

You feeling groovy too, Ducky? :lol

20 minutes ago, greysmom said:

Felicity started on gaba a few weeks ago.  So far I have seen no indication she's feeling groovy.  <_<  I wish I did because she hates going to the vet due to the floors.  It has worked for her pain however, which makes me feel bad because we've been trying to figure out weird morning and evening panting episodes for about a year.

Glad Gracie is going to be fine!!  :kiss2 

I've never been a fan of Gabapentin based on my own experience using it as well as some of the dogs using it. I had major side effects from it, and I never saw a whole lot of improvement in the dogs that used it. There was probably more of an effect than we could see, but I was just skeptical that it was doing much. Our current vet has been in practice for 27 years and swears by Gabapentin for things like this. Seeing Gracie act normal at the vet instead of being a drippy-nose-stressed-out-mess convinced me that this was a good move for her. She will get a dose before vet visits and nail trims from now on. 

• Like 3