Temperature Check

I thought I'd run a scenario through the GT opinion poll.   The dogs adore the current dogwalker and he's reliable, but he doesn't communicate well (expressive or receptive).   This problem is compounded by the fact that he comes by when I am at work, so we mostly communicate by texts and notes.   

Background:  Gelsey has been gaining weight.  I told dogwalker that she is on a diet.  He said "Guess I should stop giving her treats for all her cute antics."  :angry:  Basic instruction was 1 treat a visit.  Yesterday I came home to find he had ignored the 4 (FOUR!  quattro! vier!) already-opened containers of dog treats on the kitchen counter, gone into the dogfood cabinet and opened a 5th treat.  And then left the boxtop on the counter for me to throw away. 

I feel like I'm living in a house with a rampaging teenager going through my pantry.  But he's not a teenager, let alone my teenager.  He's a grad student.  Am I justifiably pissed, or am I making this bigger than it should be?  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Your dog your rules!

Since you are not able to finally have a sit down talk with him all I can suggest is: 

- taping notes on any dog treat boxes
- leaving the only treats your dogs can have when with him in a bowl on the table, again with a note
- a pantry is off-limits sign
- state in texts and printed notes that your instructions regarding treat limitations are from your vet because of medical dietary issues
- instructions are for both Gelsey and Milo

You've probably already thought of all those, but I hereby authorize you to growl at this dogwalker.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Yeah, I'd be annoyed as well, particularly with the fellow blithely ignoring dietary restrictions for your dogs.  Would it be worth asking him for a face-to-face to review the ground rules?  He should be able to drop by one day when you're home from work. If not, I like Ducky's suggestion for firm communication through lists and notes.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

1 hour ago, macoduck said:

Since you are not able to finally have a sit down talk with him all I can suggest is: 

- taping notes on any dog treat boxes
- leaving the only treats your dogs can have when with him in a bowl on the table, again with a note
- a pantry is off-limits sign
- state in texts and printed notes that your instructions regarding treat limitations are from your vet because of medical dietary issues
- instructions are for both Gelsey and Milo

And duck tape the cupboard shut.

You have every right to be mad. If feels like he can just rifle through your pantry, what else is is rummaging through when you're not there? Not to mention blatantly disregarding your instructions.

I would probably leave two treats on the counter with a note that the dogs are on a restricted diet and they each get one when he leaves. And hide the rest away somewhere. Maybe do some top secret detective moves like put a hair across the box top so you know if it's been disturbed. :ph34r

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

<Am I justifiably pissed>

Unquestionably.

I once left my farm in the hands of someone "capable" with detailed notes on each of the horses' stalls with feeding instructions, only to come home to a note from the sitter: "I didn't think they needed that much hay." That's not your decision to make!!

If you don't have one already, I would set up a spy cam which you can easily do if you have an unused iPhone laying around. Later, after this situation gets sorted out, you can spend hours of time watching your hounds sleep lol. But with the camper cam you could have a "meeting" with the sitterj. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yes, I'd be pissed too. Maybe leaving a ziploc for each dog on the counter with a Sharpie'd "Today's treats" label would make it abundantly clear? And a padlock on the pantry door. :evil 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Yes, I'd be extra salty and looking for a new walker (maybe via Rover?). Roman gets his own exercise walk (as opposed to the old hound P&P shuffles we do!) about midday, and I leave a key, a check, and some biscuits (and maybe a towel and some wasp spray!) on the bar for my one in-office day. The walker comes in, gets R, everyone gets a few treats, and that's it. 

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

get rid of the treats, not the dog walker. if he is reliable, then stick with him

put out one bag of a low calorie treat clearly labeled- ie a CARROT or some fresh STRING BEANS- dogs love them and they are good bulk.

Science Diet Low Calorie food really workshttps://www.hillspet.com/about-us/nutritional-philosophy/innovations/weight?cq_src=google_ads&cq_cmp=19468333119&cq_con=151738061224&cq_term=science+diet+healthy+weight&cq_med=&cq_plac=&cq_net=g&cq_plt=gp&lightboxfired=true&_gl=1*uhff09*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxMmhBhDJARIsANFGOSuF6NmUyFm6LW0VidXXQVsosHjwug6j4udLtJXhWbEkbWiQFICloHYaAp5PEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#

Velcro,(the late great scottie) had addison's disease. he needed to maintain his 24lb weight, meds were super $$$$ and scotties gain weight looking at food. I managed to get his weight down in a short amount of time and kept him on a combo of diet and a better food for his life. 

you can also put out a bag-1/4c of the light food and just reduce it from the night time feeding.

On 4/5/2023 at 9:06 AM, 1Moregrey said:

And duck tape the cupboard shut.

My thought was to hide all the treats except that day's allotment. 

Unjustifiably pissed?  Nope. Not at all.  If all communication is via text or note, how about something like, "This treat situation is out of control.  If you cannot abide by my express orders to give only X treats per day, I will have to find a new walker".  It sounds harsh but you have done about all you can do at this point.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

• 2 weeks later...

so ellen, what's the verdict? if you figure this one out i'll try it on Joe. He insists on giving the dogs desert! (a greenie or dog biscuit). I am great with keeping their weight down and torture Joe if they look a pound overweight and make HIM get on the scale with them. Me on a scale- only if i wish to stroke out from a sudden surge in my BP!

Was this dog walker engaged through a service (ie. Rover, etc) or did you find him on your own??  Though I suppose it doesn't make much difference in your situation, I wonder if he's ignoring other owners rules for their dogs.  Letting someone into your home without you being there involves a high level of trust.  I also wondered what else he might be snooping through while he's "looking for dog treats."  <_<  

IMO, YOU are the boss of him, not the other way around.  He's not your friend (it doesn't sound like), and he's being paid by you.  If there's a contract through a service, read through it again and find out what your rights as an owner are.  If you just have a verbal sort of hand-shake agreement, decide how much "leash" you are willing to tolerate.  Either way, you need to state your rules clearly and concisely, preferably in person, along with the consequences which should include finding a different dog walker: "I really appreciate your work.  The dogs like you.  But <<<state rules clearly>>>.  Going forward I expect you to follow these rules.  Otherwise <<<state consequences clearly>>>.  I'll leave their approved treats on the counter each day.  Please only use these treats."  Give him a time frame and or number of violations before termination notice.  If you have cameras you might mention he's under video surveillance.

This person is providing you a service for which you pay him.  If he's not following through, find someone who will.  I he's employed by a company, definitely let them know why, and leave reviews on their website or Yelp.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ellen, this was recently discussed in another of my forums and the point was brought up that if termination of the current dogwalker is presented to him, he may indeed walk. Although he does need a :wife :shakefinger , I hope that you don't get to this point with him unless you already have another option lined up. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

6 hours ago, greysmom said:

Was this dog walker engaged through a service (ie. Rover, etc) or did you find him on your own??  Though I suppose it doesn't make much difference in your situation, I wonder if he's ignoring other owners rules for their dogs.  Letting someone into your home without you being there involves a high level of trust.  I also wondered what else he might be snooping through while he's "looking for dog treats."  <_<  

IMO, YOU are the boss of him, not the other way around.  He's not your friend (it doesn't sound like), and he's being paid by you.  If there's a contract through a service, read through it again and find out what your rights as an owner are.  If you just have a verbal sort of hand-shake agreement, decide how much "leash" you are willing to tolerate.  Either way, you need to state your rules clearly and concisely, preferably in person, along with the consequences which should include finding a different dog walker: "I really appreciate your work.  The dogs like you.  But <<<state rules clearly>>>.  Going forward I expect you to follow these rules.  Otherwise <<<state consequences clearly>>>.  I'll leave their approved treats on the counter each day.  Please only use these treats."  Give him a time frame and or number of violations before termination notice.  If you have cameras you might mention he's under video surveillance.

This person is providing you a service for which you pay him.  If he's not following through, find someone who will.  I he's employed by a company, definitely let them know why, and leave reviews on their website or Yelp.

"This".  Get with the program, or hit the road after the next incident.

I had already left a sternly worded pen-and-paper message for him before I posted here, and then he came by a few days ago when I was at home and we discussed.   Got an "I understand" from him but not a "sorry."   As he left, I mentioned that the dogs were waiting for me to fix their supper.  His response:  "Can I give them a treat?  You said to give them a treat when I leave the house."  :headwall  So I used the "one treat a day" phrase mentioned above.  

I live in a small, rural town and suitable dogwalkers were few and far between before a college opened up a physical therapy/occupational therapy school less than a block from my house.  Now we have a housing shortage, sky-high rents, a Starbucks, and 150+ potential dogwalkers.  Hiring one of the therapy students is like paying it forward for me; I am a speech therapist and would have loved a job like this.  This guy is ok, just not wonderful like the first 2 rock stars.   School year is about to end.  This guy is staying here for the summer to finish a research study.  I have somebody lined up for new term in August, but there's nobody much available till then.  

Gelsey would love the carrots, but Milo wouldn't be able to chew them with his tooth extractions, all molars or premolars.  I think I'd better stick with the 1 treat a day regime for the dogwalker.  

Thanks for all the feedback.  I have a very touchy sense of privacy, and can get overconcerned about what I see as infringements on my rights and properties.  :)  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter