Buffy (CTW Bathsheba) 2009-2022

muddgirl

Yesterday we helped our sweet girl Buffy (nearly 13 years old) across the rainbow bridge after she broke her leg due to osteosarcoma. We did not consider amputation due to her age and pre-existing rear end weakness due to arthritis. I have been kicking myself about not getting an earlier x-ray as she has been limping for a few weeks but at the time the vet did not detect any pain and we agreed it was likely due to progressing arthritis. It would not have affected the outcome but we could have spared her some pain.

Buffy was the littermate of our first greyhound (Batman). Buffy raced at Tri-State in West Virginia and then in Birmingham, AL for about a year and bounced between A, B, and C grades. In early 2012 she was put up for adoption and I and thought, "Wouldn't it be so much fun to adopt Batman's littermate?" but she was quickly adopted by another family. Unfortunately this family discovered that Buffy was extremely sound-reactive and they lived very close to an ammunition test range. The family made the difficult decision to return her to the adoption agency and we could not let her pass by a second time, so we brought her home in Oct 2012.

Buffy was very high energy, very high anxiety, and did not bond quickly with anybody. She spent the first six months in our house either stress-pacing or hiding in the back hallway where no one could see her. But over time she did come out of her shell and she bonded very closely with her brother, even though he was sometimes quite a bully. Unlike her brother, Buffy was rarely derpy, she never roached, and instances of extreme tongue syndrome were few and far between. However she did entertain us frequently by nosing her way into spaces she couldn't back out of, and primly sitting places that weren't meant to be sat on.

After her brother passed away unexpectedly in July 2016, Buffy grew very close to my husband and I, she learned to enjoy both pets and cuddles as well as joining us on road trip adventures and hikes. She greatly enjoyed spending so much time with us during the pandemic and being able to take walks outside on quiet streets without worrying about her biggest enemies: balloons and basketballs.

For the past few years she had experienced worsening health due to old age but she was always a trooper and never wanted us to worry about her. Even after her leg fracture she looked at me like she was ready to get up and walk home on two good legs if she had to.

In 2017 we had the great pleasure of meeting another of Buffy's littermates, Nick (CTW Batteringram).

We now have a young child so we will likely not adopt another dog for several years. I am feeling the great hole our little lady has left in our home.

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

I'm so very sorry that you lost your special girl. It might have taken her a while to settle in, but she was in the right place and eventually she realized that. Please don't kick yourself--many people have lost Greys due to sudden breaks and an x-ray might have been uninformative in any event.

Godspeed Buffy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm very sorry for your loss. Run pain-free, Buffy. :f_pink

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

There will always be things we regret about our dogs' last weeks.  We can't ever make the passing perfect, whatever that might be.  It sounds like she had a blissful last few years with quiet walks and cuddles with her special folks, especially her little one.  

May the spirit of your beautiful lady trooper run with the wind, together with Batman.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love the picture of Buffy and her brother; they look like mirror images. I hope their reunion at the Bridge is sweet. And because it cannot be said enough: Damn osteo.

Rest well, beautiful Buffy. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

There is something magical about living with littermates! How blessed you were that Buffy chose Batman's people for her family. Please don't beat yourselves up on anything - Buffy lived a glorious life in all of her moments and no hound can ever be more gifted than to know the true love of its family. :grouphug 

Godspeed Buffy. When you can, send your folks a sign that you're settled and reunited with your beloved brother. :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

So sorry you had to say goodbye to your little girlie.  

You gave her wonderful life... remember all the good times and smile....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg