Degenerative M

My greyhound Henry is 15 years old. He’s apparently the oldest one my vet has ever seen, and he’s been my best friend for 13 years. I love him more than anything. 

He’s been on medication (Previcox and Gabapentin) for at least 3-4 years for arthritis and I believe he likely has degenerative myelopathy. Unfortunately as you know, it’s not a disease that’s easily diagnosed but it is very common. He has slowly become less mobile over a few years, but we still went for *very* slow walks up the street until recently. 

In the last two weeks he’s started knuckling on his hind legs, and I’ve needed to carry him more and more. He’s had some severe accidents in the house. Three days ago I came home to find him lying on the couch in his own mess. He’d obviously tried to get up in time, but couldn’t. It was everywhere. He’s had some pretty violent diarrhoea in the last two weeks. 

Yesterday, he got stuck on the couch while I was at work. I could see him stuck on his front legs with our home security camera, unable to push himself off the couch. My neighbour kindly went round to move him back up. Half an hour later, I saw that he had fell off the couch and couldn’t get up. I raced home to help him, and he was so worked up and exhausted that I genuinely thought he was going to have a heart attack. He had urinated on the floor as he struggled to get his hind legs up again. The rest of the night he was so lethargic and unresponsive that I thought he might pass away in his sleep. 

He can no longer get up without my full assistance. I have to carry him inside and outside, and he can’t rise from a lying position. He wants to, but he can’t. He can get a bit of a slow rhythm going while walking, but will fall over easily. 

He is still happy, completely himself, and has his full appetite. I am beside myself, because this has degenerated quickly and I still see my beautiful boy when I look at him. But I know in my heart that I need to have him put to sleep tomorrow. 

I am struggling so much with this. I feel guilty. I feel like I should give him more time. But at the same time, I would never forgive myself if he ended up in suffering or in pain as things continue to get worse. Currently, he isn’t in pain but has simply lost hind leg function. The incident from the other day is playing heavily on my mind. I am terrified to leave him alone at home, in case he falls and injures himself. 

I just need to know that I’m not making a mistake by putting him to sleep. I love him with all of my heart, and I don’t know how I can be strong enough to make the call. He is my best friend. 

Does anyone have any advice, stories, or words they can share? I’m beyond devastated trying to make this decision. 

There are so many of us on this Board of the mindset that it is better to let go a day too early than a day too late, thus helping to avoid a crisis which would be your last memory of your special boy. Make Henry's final day a grand one - whatever he wants to eat, visits from friends, or just quiet time with you - whatever works for both of you. He can leave with his dignity and your love intact. Henry has lived a wonderful and full life with you for 13 years. To have reached the age of 15 is quite an accomplishment and a testament to both of you. Sit with Henry and love on him, and hold him as he crosses over to his next chapter. 

We have all been where you are, some of us multiple times. Please take good care of yourself and trust in your heart that you are giving Henry one final gift. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

There are so many of us on this Board of the mindset that it is better to let go a day too early than a day too late, thus helping to avoid a crisis which would be your last memory of your special boy. Make Henry's final day a grand one - whatever he wants to eat, visits from friends, or just quiet time with you - whatever works for both of you. He can leave with his dignity and your love intact. Henry has lived a wonderful and full life with you for 13 years. To have reached the age of 15 is quite an accomplishment and a testament to both of you. Sit with Henry and love on him, and hold him as he crosses over to his next chapter. 

We have all been where you are, some of us multiple times. Please take good care of yourself and trust in your heart that you are giving Henry one final gift. :grouphug

Exactly this. You know in your heart that it's time, and the entire reason we do this is to avoid a worse ending for our friends. This is an act of kindness, please don't feel guilt over it. Give him a great day and enjoy being with him, he'll fall asleep happy, content and loved, and you'll let him go knowing his last day was one of his best. Take care. x

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

:nod :nod  :nod

Well said, and yes we have all been in this position. 
:bighug

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so sorry you are going through this, it is hard. It is time and Henry knows this also. As the others have said, spend some quality time together, tell him how much you love him. If possible have a vet come to your home for his euth, I find that is easier for everyone. You have been blessed to have Henry for all this time, be kind to yourself.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

3 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Absolutely this!  Jan always knows the best way to say things.  I'm sure he is scared when he can't make his legs work.  My prayers are with you at this very sad time.  

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I can’t really add anything to what has been said, except to say I have been there and it really, really is better for him to make it a day too soon rather than a day too late. I know it breaks your heart, but it is something we all have to face sooner or later. It is the last gift of love you can give Henry. :grouphug

Your situation is exactly what happened with Rocket. I had a fully alert and aware dog who was still enjoying his food and interactions with everyone who could no longer use his rear legs. We made the decision at the point when we knew there were no more fixes or treatments because we didn't want to risk having him injure himself. We said goodbye after a wonderful weekend of visitors coming to see him and his dog friends stopping by and having a french fry party. It's never easy, but I couldn't put him through the stress of not being able to go where he wanted, when he wated just to keep him around for us. That wouldn't be fair. 

It took months before my every thought wasn't about how much I missed him. It won't be easy, but you will get through it knowing that he is no longer in any pain and that you did the right thing. 

Best wishes to you and Henry. Spoil him rotten for all of us here, and know that you aren't alone in dealing with this. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It's all about quality of life.  You are his best friend.  He looks to you to give him comfort and peace.  Give him a last day that you can remember with a smile.  G-d bless you and him.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

You will probably second-guess and doubt your decision for a long time.  But the only pain involved will be yours, not Henry's.  And gradually, your memories of him will almost always be good, and will bring a smile to your heart.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I just thought I’d give everyone an update. I want to thank you all for your wonderful words. They have been so reassuring for me. 

After a big day of rest and goodbyes yesterday, Henry has woken up without any physical issues. He jumped out of bed, went down his ramp, walked up and down the street, and went potty without any assistance. He greeted some neighbourhood walkers and was only a tiny bit clumsy. Afterwards he stood up while waiting excitedly for (and eating) breakfast. I had to stop him jumping around because he was so excited. He’s now just living his normal life on the couch, inquisitive and peaceful at the same time. Friends are coming to visit him soon. 

While I know this doesn’t mean he’s cured, and that his battle will continue, I can’t call the home vet to euthanize him when he is still full of joy. 

I am going to move a mattress into the lounge room and block off the couch, so he doesn’t get stuck during the day. He’s already being carried in and out of the house as a precaution. I’ve injury-proofed the house for him.

My parents will visit him each day this week while I’m at work, just to be sure he’s doing well. This morning, I put some protective dog boots on his hind paws and he seems to be fine with them. They stop any knuckling or sores, which is great. I will stick only to his prescription kibble and nothing else, as I think his diarrhoea puts massive stress on his back legs. 

Perhaps he’s only got another week or month of happiness, but he was giving me a sign this morning that he still had lots of life and happiness in him after a bad few days. 

I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m living in denial. I had to make the tough call to euthanize my last greyhound after a short battle with osteosarcoma. I know what it takes to make the decision. In this case, Henry’s spirit and happiness seem to still be here. While they are, I’ll do everything for him. 

I am glad to hear that Henry had a good day! I hope you can have a little more quality time with him, but remember that they often have a rebound day or few days before they go down again. Sounds like you are aware, so I hope he has some good days left :grouphug

23 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

I am glad to hear that Henry had a good day! I hope you can have a little more quality time with him, but remember that they often have a rebound day or few days before they go down again. Sounds like you are aware, so I hope he has some good days left :grouphug

Thank you so much. I hope I can have a bit more quality time with him as well. He woke up so happy, and I think keeping him away from ramps and couches will help a lot. Easier said than done with a greyhound! 

Each day with him is a blessing, but once the bad days outweigh the good then I’ll do what’s right by him. For now, time for pats.  

So happy to hear that Henry is feeling better. Enjoy all the time you can with him.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

I was where you are very recently. My boy likely had DM, but I refused to put him through tests that weren't going to make a difference in the outcome. He had been going downhill slowly, then this past summer, things picked up. He had a crisis where he "Bambied" on the hardwood floors. He recovered from that, but I could tell it was only a matter of time. I was watching him carefully (I work from home, so I could monitor him all day) and just had a feeling, even though he was still enjoying food and wanted to go outside frequently.  I purchased a full body harness from God's Greyts in Orlando to have on hand. Thank heavens I did because his backend went out completely during a noontime relief break one day. I was able to get him up enough to get him in the house and gave him extra meds.  I told my mom that if I didn't see significant improvement the next day, I'd be scheduling the vet. He was slightly better, but not much and he just had a look. That was a Tuesday and I asked the vet to come on Thursday, so we could spoil him for two solid days. Many of his favorite people came to see him and he got all his favorites, including Burger King cheeseburgers and Dairy Queen soft serve.  When Thursday came around, I think he knew. He just looked different. I told him that there was no reason to be afraid, I'd be with him. He relaxed and when the vet got here, it was peaceful. 

I know that was a lot of words, but I know how you feel, my guy had a crisis and recovered, but the good days were numbered. I wish you and Henry as many happy days as possible.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:15 AM, FiveRoooooers said:

Ditto, you will be giving Henry the most loving and caring gift of all gifts.

I've just navigated this same diagnosis and situation with my Spirit, whom I lost in October at 14.5.  I know how hard it is to know when to make that dreadful call.  15 is a wonderfully long life for a Greyhound and I'm so happy that you and Henry have had such a long and loving time together.  Enjoy the good days!

When you decide it's time, know that you've done your very best to make decisions that are best for Henry.  He knows that; the Universe knows that too.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 1 month later...

Just read this today.

We had a girl that was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy; biotin is a precursor to myelin synthesis, so we started supplementing with ~100 mg/day of biotin, purchased from a bulk supplement company. She was likely misdiagnosed, or the biotin was a miracle treatment, because she lived a couple of years after that with no additional symptoms.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)