Gus the gentleman and perfect first dog (2 January 2013 - 16 November 2021)

gus_amy_hounds

I have never posted on Greytalk before but I have been an avid voyeur of the forum for tips, support and advice over the last ~ 5 years since we adopted Gus, our first greyhound. Yesterday, my Wife and I said goodbye to Gus after making the extremely tough decision to put him to sleep, following discovery the day before of osteosarcoma in his left hind leg.  It is past time I put pen to paper and shared the story of an absolute gentleman.

Gus' story

Gus finished racing in late 2016 and my understanding was he was with a foster carer between then and our eventual adoption of him. Gus can run like the wind, and is absolutely breathtaking to watch. I am not just saying that - you can watch him here in the stripes, he just didn't like running with other dogs.

My wife and I had been discussing for some time about adopting a dog, and following some research, we settled on a greyhound to suit our lifestyle. One fateful day we met an Adoption group in a pop-up stall of which Gus was one greyhound available. He came to greet us immediately, that was his nature - extremely outgoing and friendly, but not over the top, just in a gentle fashion. We did not take him home that day. I think it was a few days later (the 'cooling-off' period), when he was dropped over at our sharehouse at the time. He proceeded to knock over and shatter wine glasses with his long tail.

Gus quickly became the centre of our universe. He lived with another dog for the next couple of years with which he loved the company during the day while we were at work. He became quite sad when we moved home in about 2018 and he no longer had the dog's company during the day, so we decided to adopt our second greyhound Amy. It was amazing how quickly these two clicked, and ever since, they have been a perfect pair.

Since 2018, Gus and Amy have been a constant presence with us in our first home together, they were there at our wedding ceremony, and we took them on our first wedding anniversary before COVID-19. During the pandemic, we began working from home a lot more often, and we got to spend much more quality time with them both, which we are so forever grateful for now. I know we all talk with bias when we talk about our dogs, but Gus was really a very special animal. Everyone he came across he seemed to mesmerize, he had this ability to capture the attention of the room with his behaviour and mannerisms.

The End

About 8 weeks ago we began to notice slight changes in Gus' gait. First it was very minor, a slight hesitation to walk down the stairs, followed by a tiny limp. He was taken to the vet, x-rays and CT scans were normal. We thought we were in the clear. All limping had subsided and he was no longer on any pain relief. A couple of weeks had passed and there had been a recurrence of a limp. I noticed there was muscle wastage in the affected hind leg, deep down I knew something was not right.

Our worst fear was confirmed and we took him home with a fentanyl patch with a view to spending 24 hours of quality time with him.

By lunchtime the next day despite the fentanyl patch, gabapentin and carprofen, I carried him outside to toilet and he was in significant distress and he actually gave me a look and I knew it was over. We have lost our best mate and our hearts are broken. It is funny, everyone says to us how lucky he was to have us, and what a great life we gave him, it is honestly the opposite, we are the lucky ones to have had him.

Edited by gus_amy_hounds

:f_whiteI am so sorry for your loss. He was clearly a very special boy, who found his perfect home with you two and Amy.  Run free dear Gus :gh_run2

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Gus sounds like a wonderful boy. Hugs to you and your Amy. I will add Gus' name to the list of Bridge Angels here on Greytalk. He will be in good company.  :grouphug

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The first one is *always* hugely instrumental in paving the way for those to come and into whom we develop as caregivers of this magnificent breed. You have been truly blessed. Gus was the best. :grouphug

Godspeed good boy. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your special Gus. 
Remember all the good times…..

:bighug

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I do hate cancer.  It is the thief who robs us, every day, of those we love.  I am so very sorry for your loss.

Don't be sad.jpg

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My heart is breaking for you.  Perhaps Gus will send a sign to help reassure you that he is alright.... 

"For love is as strong as death....
Many waters cannot quench love, nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love all the wealth of his house, it would be utterly despised."

-Song of Solomon 8:6-7

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
"What we have enjoyed we can never lose…All that we love deeply becomes a part of us."-Helen Keller

:f_red:f_red:f_red

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Run-free, Gus. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

we are the lucky ones to have had him.

:nod  We are the luckiest people in the world.  

All of our sympathy to you two and Amy.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter