You can keep your new bed

we just bought Buddy a new bed, which is orthopaedic memory foam for his old bones. Obviously I’ve tried it out myself since I can’t expect my boy to sleep on something I wouldn’t sleep on myself. I’ve never seen such a suspicious look on a dog’s face as when we tried to coax him onto it yesterday. Ungrateful.
I suppose we should be happy that he is at least lying near it this afternoon. This is progress. 

Photo by Buddy Molly on May 20, 2020. Image may contain: dog and indoor

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

He is obviously taking after Lila , bed guru of the WFUBCC. :sleepy

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

It probably smells weird.  Put a nice dirty blanket on it, or spend some more time on it yourself to help it smell better.  If the cover comes off you might wash it.  Put the innards outside in the sunlight.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You called? Good work Buddy, those orthopeedic beds are the worst! There is one around here that I refuse to touch. Miss Chris theenks she has sum good advice, but be strong, do not touch the unsatisfactory bed!

Wags,

Lila,

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

:lol:lol  thanks for the advice! He keeps taking cardboard from the bin to his new bed, then he remembers that he doesn’t like it so he carts his cardboard outside to shred. I wondered if it might be the smell. It smells fine to me but clearly I hadn’t accounted for which smells offend him - particularly since he eats poop :rolleyes:

Petunia gave us a look that would kill when we swapped out her old bed with a nice new one.  The older and rattier they are, the more they like them. 

We still have 2 of Rocket's original beds from the farm supply store that were bought when he arrived in 2008.  The covers are like new when you wash them, but the innards of every other worn out old bed have been stuffed in them over time.  The girls think those are the best beds ever - right up there with the slumber balls. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

The centre of the bed is in the garden soaking up the late evening sun. When it comes in I’ll put his black blanket on it which smells more like him. We tried putting his old bed on top of his new bed yesterday (I too am a bedstacker and his old one is destined for the pile in his sulking corner in the tv room) but he was having none of it. I’m certain he will get used to it when he feels like it. Last December, we adjusted the landscaping of the back garden so he had steps to get to the grassy area which is raised. It took him about three months before he decided that they were safe to use! Contrary boy.

Obviously I’ve tried it out myself ... It smells fine to me …

Maybe he thought it was your new bed! Comfy, check. Smells fine, check. :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Obviously I’ve tried it out myself ... It smells fine to me …

Maybe he thought it was your new bed! Comfy, check. Smells fine, check. :lol

Haha! That usually makes him want it more!

2 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

It’s taken me ages but I’ve just worked out what this stands for!!!!

Buddy, yu kan awlwayz kum and joyne us.

Wagz frum Nutmeg.:gh_bow

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Um, Buddy, as lovely as those floors are, they're not soft. Maybe you should try the evil bed.

GreyPoopon, the Human, who is still trying to figure out why some beds here are popular and some are not to be trusted.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:lol I bought a new ortho bed for Larry back in February from our Costco -- like yours but only bolstered on 2 sides.  He will lie on it about as much as the others - we have 3 beds in the living room now, used to be just 2 Slumber Balls but Larry's back end went out in Feb so we had to pull them up as they were too hard to get out of -- one is an OLD Slumber Ball - the original -- that still has more "oomph" and he can get out of fine), a small Costco round bed and the ortho.  But Zeke will NOT lie on it -- in 3 + months he's been on there 2 times.  So weird that some like them, some not so much :)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Well, moments after that photo was taken, we discovered that at some point he had sustained an injury to his back foot - later still we found a tuft of fur on those steps that was talking about earlier, and he has lifted a flap of skin and was bleeding everywhere! So that cover had blood all over it and has been washed. I’ve patched him up and will see how it looks in the morning. We put his only bed down in its place while the new bed was outside, and he’s bled on that too, poor boy. Seems like we can’t do right for doing wrong!. :unsure

2 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

Progress! Hopefully by the weekend we might have hound on a new bed :rolleyes: 🤞

Photo by Buddy Molly on May 21, 2020. Image may contain: plant, tree and outdoor

Actually, what is wrong with this picture? Right. The lack of two additional hounds :lol

Heal up fast and seamlessly Bud!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

9 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Actually, what is wrong with this picture? Right. The lack of two additional hounds :lol

Heal up fast and seamlessly Bud!

:lol I would but Buddy’s a needy, attention seeking nark and I don’t think it would go down well!

We have a result! Not sure how permanent this is but we'll take for now. We chucked come kibble down for him, and we’ve cleaned his teeth on it, and while he doesn’t look completely at ease in these photos, he is currently sleeping on it. In the second photo, he looks like he’s trying not to fall off the bed! I think this is how I look when I’ve had a few glasses of fizzy stuff 🤪

• 3 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Feefee147 said:

Just... hahahahahaha!! That made me smile D;

😀 we have a result... Buddy is now even going to his new bed when we’re not around. He also sleeps so well on it that he doesn’t wake up as we’re moving around him. Previously he would lay awake and his eyes would follow us around the room. Often he would get up and follow us if he couldn’t see us. Now he just lays there slack jawed. He is so chilled on it!

Photo by Buddy Molly on May 28, 2020. Image may contain: dog and indoor

Buddy, you are not alone.  I completely understand the need to ease oneself into change.  Glad you gave that new bed a try!

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.