Judged And Got Thrown Unfair Comments About My Grey

Hi all. Thanks for reading my post. This may not be exactly about training and behavior but I need opinions of fellow grey owners. Sorry for my rather poor English skill in advance.

Today, I took my grey to a park we usually don't go just for a change. She had a good sniff and was all happy but got extremely tired and all she wanted to do was just going home.

So, we were walking back home and saw an old lady with small white terrier looking dog. I crossed the street so my grey doesn't scare the little white one. My girl was so tired that she didn't even look at the white dog and just kept walking. Then my grey found a cat and decided to stop and look at it, so I redirected her with treats but still stayed on the same side of the street.

Then, the old lady with the little dog on the other side of the street asked me if it is a greyhound and I said yes. The conversation went like this.

Lady: Is that a greyhound?

Me: Yes.

Lady: Oh, you should put a muzzle on it because they can bite. My dog is very docile.

Me: Well, you know that the muzzling law was lifted in January this year and pet greyhounds don't have to wear a muzzle anymore?

Lady: Oh, really. Well, I heard a story of a greyhound that bit other dog. Did yours race?

Me: No, she never raced.

Lady: Oh, a lot of them do though, and they are trained to chase and kill rabbits and things like that. (I think she was talking about the illegal live baiting that came out few years ago in Australia.)

Me: Mine didn't race though, and any dog can bite given the right circumstance.

Lady: Yes, any dog can bite but greyhounds think that my dog looks like a rabbit.

Me: Sound like you don't like greyhounds, huh

Lady: I love all the dogs. It's just that greyhounds are different

Me: (got upset and just walked off)

This person clearly had no idea what greyhounds are like yet decided to throw some unfair comments at me just because I was walking a greyhound. My husband thinks I was an easy target because I am small and Asian. All I could tell was that for whatever reason she was so stuck-up and arrogant.

I don't really care whether I was an easy target or not. I wish I have handled the situation better.

If you were in a situation like this, what would you say to that person? My English is not perfect so that made me frustrated at myself, too. I got a bit upset as I had never had such experience until today.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know what colour your hound is but if it's black like mine I find people often give us a wide birth and cross the road.

The old lady has the problem not you. Any dog can bite and it's usually the owners who think their dog can do no wrong that have the problem dogs.

I'm not defending her but as for the old lady being stuck up and arrogant remember she's from a different generation with views that she's read about but not experienced and as people get older they don't filter their thoughts before speaking. Next time you could either just give a greeting and keep walking or strike up a conversation and educate her in a friendly way about how great greyhounds are.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

You can turn the conversation from greyhounds in general to you grey. Something like Yes, she is a greyhound. Her name is xy. Does she look aggressive to you? Or I'm sorry, we scared you.

Being a petite woman can be your advantage. Who will admit that he or she is scared by a small person.

And your English is greyt. As a fellow non-native speaker I am impressed.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I don't know what colour your hound is but if it's black like mine I find people often give us a wide birth and cross the road.

The old lady has the problem not you. Any dog can bite and it's usually the owners who think their dog can do no wrong that have the problem dogs.

I'm not defending her but as for the old lady being stuck up and arrogant remember she's from a different generation with views that she's read about but not experienced and as people get older they don't filter their thoughts before speaking. Next time you could either just give a greeting and keep walking or strike up a conversation and educate her in a friendly way about how great greyhounds are.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, my girl is completely black. Actually, someone said the other day that it was her first time seeing such a black greyhound :)

I think I need to be more tolerating of other people with different views. Most of the people who actively ask about my dog are either grey lovers or purely interested in greyhounds, so I was shocked when the lady was like that.

If I see her next time, I will say hi and just keep walking!

You can turn the conversation from greyhounds in general to you grey. Something like Yes, she is a greyhound. Her name is xy. Does she look aggressive to you? Or I'm sorry, we scared you.

Being a petite woman can be your advantage. Who will admit that he or she is scared by a small person.

And your English is greyt. As a fellow non-native speaker I am impressed.

Thanks for your reply and the kind words! That is a good idea to turn the conversation. I couldn't believe people could be so judgy.

Lucky that it is not somewhere we regularly go to...it was not a pleasant experience... :(

Rijnbeek, I think you did well with your response.

Regarding her stating her little dog was docile and greyhounds needing muzzles, I would have said, "Oh my, that runs contrary to what I just read in the veterinary behavior journals. Smaller dogs are shown now to be the most aggressive."

Although I completely made up that statement, my dogs and I have been attacked more often by chihuahuas and pit bulls.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I encounter that prejudice often. You get angst from both sides if they wear a muzzle too. Either: It must be fierce if it wears a muzzle, or how cruel you are to make it wear a muzzle. Life's just like that.

I think the correct response is:

"Your little dog is probably lovely, but why is it showing a bunch of stress signals in response to you ranting at me? Look at my dog, she's calm and under control."

You did fine. In America we have an expression "You can't fix stupid." The old lady is just stupid, and there is nothing you can do about it. She has let preconceived prejudices form her beliefs about greyhounds and apparently possibly people too. She is wrong. Personally I would just ignore the poor ignorant misguided woman. And don't be surprised if someday you are also attacked because you are 'starving' your dog. Most of the public and even some vets have no clue about what a fit healthy greyhound looks like. I have been approached and condemned for not feeding my dog by stupid people. Just shrug them off and ignore them. And whatever you do don't react to their lunacy and overfeed your poor hound because that would be unhealthy and probably even shorten their life! Just ignore people like her. You know what an angel and what a treasure your hound is and thats all that matters.

Edited by racindog

My new boy Gino (big and black!) doesn't like little yappy snappy dogs--there are a couple of Chihuahuas around that really get him stirred up (Johnny ignores them). Now he did meet our neighbor's very calm little terrier type dog, and he did just fine. I'm sure chihuhua lady thinks WE are the problem... :rolleyes:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Although most of the time people stop to admire my hounds, every once in a while we get someone like your lady. Once someone stuck their head out of a car to yell about my ugly, skinny dogs! Usually it's a person who proceeds to educate me, totally incorrectly, about greyhounds.

At first I would get upset, but now I just smile and say what wonderful dogs they are. And walk on. One thing about having greyhounds -- you get a lot of attention.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

You are often going to be surprised by people who believe they are experts on your dog/dog breed, despite never having owned a greyhound, never having seen one race, never doing one bit of research to find out what the truth is about how utterly awesome greyhounds are.

Sometimes you can turn the conversation and actually give them some true facts, but mostly people will believe what they want to believe despite the science or the facts.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would have mentioned, “greyhounds are extremely calm, quiet animals. My girl is a great example of why the absurd muzzle law was changed. Poorly trained dogs of any breed may bite, but it’s rare for greyhounds due to their gentle nature. My girl is very well-behaved compared to other dogs we come in contact with, plus your comments are incorrect and based on old lies and myths.”

This a bit wordy, but my point is that it’s not rude, counters some of her inaccurate statements and focuses on the good behaviour demonstrated by your girl. Plus you could laugh and say greyhounds are smart enough to know the difference between a dog and a rabbit.

btw, your English is great and so we’re your responses. Hope this helps!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Thanks for all your responses and apologies for the late reply. I needed to cool down a bit!

Since the unpleasant encounter with the lady, I have heard from people around that are that there is one greyhound that goes off leash in a park somewhere close. Apparently that grey chases small fluffy ones and other dog owners don't appreciate it. Greys are not allowed to go off leash in the state I live, so maybe people get a bit scared when they see greyhounds because of that experience. Well, that is at least what I try to think to convince myself that people would not act in that way otherwise. 

Anyway, I will stay away from that area for a while and will practice better answers you guys shared in the meantime! 

Thanks again for your responses. Can't imagine my life without Greytalk now! 

Edited by Rijnbeek

I am lucky that I've never had negative comments from people my hounds have met. Everyone seems to love them and say they are beautiful.

The only negative comments I've gotten are from my mother who says they are "weird". But I don't put a lot of stock in what she says most of the time... I just ignore her and don't invite her over if she doesn't like my hounds and kitties. 

NEVER feel like a victim because you are a small woman.. I'm a pretty short woman and I don't let people push me around. 

You handled the situation just fine... give a wave if you ever see her again and keep on walking. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I've been told my Grey is ugly and looks like a rat. Once, a woman at the beach approached me, very concerned, and asked me how much I fed my dog. Mean spirited or well-intentioned it still rankles.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thanks guys for your replies. 

Most of the people who talk to me on walks are either grey lovers or just interested in the breed, yet there are unfortunately some silly people as well. 

Some grey owners in the area told me that greyhounds are so misunderstood and I used to wonder why they said that. Thinking about it now, maybe they have had similar experiences.

I think it is so true that you get a lot of attention when you walk a grey! I kind of enjoy that ;)

A primary school girl said to me the other day how beautiful my girl is and that melted my heart :wub:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2019 at 1:09 AM, Rijnbeek said:

Thanks guys for your replies. 

Most of the people who talk to me on walks are either grey lovers or just interested in the breed, yet there are unfortunately some silly people as well. 

Some grey owners in the area told me that greyhounds are so misunderstood and I used to wonder why they said that. Thinking about it now, maybe they have had similar experiences.

I think it is so true that you get a lot of attention when you walk a grey! I kind of enjoy that ;)

A primary school girl said to me the other day how beautiful my girl is and that melted my heart :wub:

Enjoy the good responses and dismiss the negative.  You can try to educate people, but if they're stuck in their ways, just move on.  You're response seems fine to me.  You tried.  Getting upset or angry doesn't fix anything.  Many of us have had similar experiences.  I had one guy insist that my big black greyhound was a Doberman.  I explained that he was a greyhound, and the guy told me that I was an idiot and that I was walking a Doberman, and all Dobermans are killers.  Not fair to Dobermans by any means!!!  So, he had a prejudice against another breed, and didn't even know the difference.  I told him I'd be sure to let the greyhound rescue that I got the dog from know about their "mistake" and wished him a good day.  :P

Also, the muzzle law in Australia probably gave people the impression that greys are aggressive.  That's such a shame, and I'm glad it's been repealed. 

By the way - your written English is excellent!  You have no need to apologize for it.  

"A primary school girl said to me the other day how beautiful my girl is and that melted my heart :wub:"

A pre-school girl once asked if me could pet my tiger.  (My brindle greyhound, Diana).  She was kinda orange, had stripes, so of course the girl though it was a tiger!   :wub: She pronounced it "ti-goor".  So cute!!  Her mother told her "no, that's a dog, not a tiger".  The little girl - big eyes - insisted "No mommy - it's a TI-GOOR and I wanna pet it!!"  So of course I told her she could pet my Tiger!!!!!!  The mom scowled at me but I didn't care! 

She probably went to preschool the next day and told everyone she petted a Tiger!!! :thumbs-up   

I was walking my two exceptionally well behaved Grey's through the to the car after a walk. I make the point of exceptionally well behaved because in that instance they were doing nothing wrong, tongues lolling, happy and happily tired dogs after a nice walk, not paying any notice to anything particularly, just walking like any other dog. They were wearing their muzzles as they often do. A man, about 28yrs or so, nudges his girlfriend and loudly enough that I know he wanted us to hear he said; look at those dogs, dobermans them, vicious dogs, look they have to wear muzzles. Vicious dogs.

All I can think is - what an idiot! 

Take no notice. That lady, like this man has no significance in your life ;-)