Greyhound Getting Into Everything

Guest mavericksnba

Guest mavericksnba

I am having problems with mine getting into absolutely anything she can find, she eat and tears up paper, grabs cups, eats cord. Anything she can find she will eat. And to be honest I'm absolutely sick of it unfortunately. I'm not sure what to do here, any advice would be appreciated

Hmmmm.....

I see that you posted about this same topic last January.

Is this the same hound?
Did you try any of the ideas that were suggested back then?

Do you have a basket muzzle for her?

How long have you had her? What is her name?

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest mavericksnba

Same one. I think it's worse bow, every time I come home I have a mess on the floor with something she got into. I've had her about 3 years now. Her name is Sadie

I do have a muzzle but she hates it

Too bad for her. The muzzle is for her own safety and your sanity. If crating isn't an option during the day, then the next easiest thing is MORE exercise before you leave every day and the muzzle.

And train yourself to not leave tempting items out for her, and to put everything else away securely. Dog proofing your home and your life needs to become a habit when you have a dog who likes to amuse herself during the day. When she gets into things that are left out for her to find, that's not on her, it's on her humans. There are hundreds of cheap, closed storage options available nowadays.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

These kind of destruction often results from boredom. Just walking is not enough for some greys. They thrieve on some obedience training or other activities. They love to learn new things.

Or a second possibility is an unbalanced thyreod. High levels can cause these kind of bundeled up energy.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Too bad for her. The muzzle is for her own safety and your sanity. If crating isn't an option during the day, then the next easiest thing is MORE exercise before you leave every day and the muzzle.

And train yourself to not leave tempting items out for her, and to put everything else away securely. Dog proofing your home and your life needs to become a habit when you have a dog who likes to amuse herself during the day. When she gets into things that are left out for her to find, that's not on her, it's on her humans. There are hundreds of cheap, closed storage options available nowadays.

Yep. The muzzle is primarily for her safety, then your sanity. The last thing you want is for your dog to have to undergo surgery to remove whatever she's ingested that's causing a blockage. Think of it as having a small child in your home, and baby-proof everything, including stuff you don't think is a problem - those are sometimes what they get into first. If she is able to get her muzzle off, get a muzzle keeper -it's a small loop that attaches to the headpiece of the muzzle with a strap that clasps around her neck, like a flea collar, is the best way I can describe it.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

When I had 6-8 teenage "beauty school drop outs" from the Oklahoma farms I had the busiest top of the fridge in town. as they could seldom reach that. I really had to learn to dogproof myself. and my home. Is there a way you can baby gate (and you can stack two) her into a dogproofed area like the kitchen when you are gone? A dog door and (gasp) a companion dog might also be options. I lost numerous couches, crates and a the bottom of a steel door before I figured out Barkley could not be an only dog.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Sounds like she's bored and has too much pent up energy. Don't set her up to fail. Greyhound-proof the house or at least the area she's confined to when you're gone. Leave her a loaded, frozen Kong to work on and other interactive toys. Walk, walk walk. A tired Greyhound is a happy Greyhound. Take her to the vet for a check-up to rule out any health issues. If it's feasible, hire a behaviorist. Spray Bitter Apple on cords and such that she typically chews. Get her a companion, if you can. Maybe she becomes anxious when alone. Leave the T.V. or radio on for company. A Thundershirt may help calm her. DAP diffusers work for anxiety, as well.

I know it can get frustrating, especially after 3 years but don't give up. You can get this under control with a little patience and lots of love and hard work.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I have one that would counter surf if given the opportunity and one that will destroy and potentially ingest things. They are both either muzzled, crated, or x-penned if they are unsupervised. I put a treat in the muzzle sometimes so that they kind of look forward to getting it put on in hopes of getting a goodie. They still don't love them, but they're quite used to them. They also wear them for turn out in the yard so it's really just a part of every day life for them. And then they get as much time as I can give them for exercise and training to keep them busy.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I have a dog that delights in investigating and ripping paper things. She is non-destructive in general, but I do give her a big cardboard box every week or so, with new things (junk mail, toilet rolls, paper, a new toy, a few treats scattered in there etc etc) which she loves rummaging through, destroying bits, finding the food, making a total mess and enjoying new smells. I wonder if diverting your dog to one particular thing to destroy may allow her to express the behaviour but also understand that she can destroy these things, but not other things? my hound will wreck paper in her box, but will not touch any other paper lying in the house as she knows its not "Hers" - just a passing thought.

I muzzle my guys when I'm not home and make sure they get plenty of exercise. Also, don't leave anything out where they can reach it, no matter how much of a pain in the neck it is to put everything away. It also helps to keep a sense of humour about it and post photos :lol

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I would utilize that muzzle when needed. She may not like it but she'll get used to it. They can drink water and even carry toys with basket muzzles on. Surgery to remove foreign bodies is costly (well over $1,000) and has a less-than-fun recovery time.

I would also up her physical exercise and mental stimulation because she sounds bored with pent up energy. People seem to latch onto the idea that Greyhounds need barely any exercise in general but they all benefit from consistent exercise and some need more than others. I have one here that needs a ton and holds her own, energy-level wise, at 8-years-old with Ibizan Hounds (think Dalmatian energy in sighthound bodies). I have had others that would be fine with a few walks a day. Mental stimulation is often overlooked in Greyhounds as well but they greatly benefit from training and many love puzzle toys and activities.

I put a treat in the muzzle sometimes so that they kind of look forward to getting it put on in hopes of getting a goodie.

The treat in the muzzle is a great idea. Mine get excited about muzzles because that means the lure machine is coming out and it is time to have some fun. :)

Thats one of the things muzzles are for. I couldn't care less that she doesn't like it. She wouldn't like dying from foreign body ingestion either. I had a hound that had to be muzzled 24/7 due to brain cancer/aggression issue. It was no biggie. Everybody gets used to it. FAR better than the alternatives.

Surgery to remove foreign bodies is costly (well over $1,000) and has a less-than-fun recovery time.

HAH!!! i just paid $6,600 for intestinal obstruction surgery on my 40 lb beagle/basset mix!!! and what did they pull out??? stuffing from a destroyed stuffed animal!!! had to throw out all stuffed animals to prevent a second episode of this...

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

I live with a naughty boy, Henry (although sometimes he gets Leo in on the game). He's not lacking exercise (trust me), he's not bored (he'll drop a toy to get into things), he's not anxious or stressed (that's Leo, thank doG for prozac), he's just naughty, thinks he's constantly starving, and is in dire need of a twelve step intervention program regarding anything made of paper.

My solution: I baby gate the boys in the family room. They have two couches, two beds, their toy basket, their water, etc. It's much easier to keep that room picked up and much easier to clean up when I've done something dumb like leave a box of Kleenex out.

Once you've ruled out or corrected a lack of exercise, boredom, and/or SA or other mental health problems, then it's down to environmental control, whether that's muzzling, crating, shutting in a safe room, or being a perfect housekeeper.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

yep. mine likes shoes. In particular, my birkenstocks (but only the left shoe).

I am now trained ... all shoes go UP on shelves or tucked away in the closet (where they belong).

Femur bones give my chewer something to chew on.

How old is your girl and how long have you had her?

Remember the old saying, "If nothing changes, nothing changes."

If you complained about this a year ago, and nothing has changed, why would her behavior change?

How many hours a DAY is this dog alone?

How much time is the dog exercised (not sent out in the yard alone--exercised, by leash, by throwing toys, lure pole, anything?)

I happen to think it's a bit unusual for an adult dog to still be doing this. I don't want to assume she is bored/lonely, but you didn't really give us much to go on other than you're tired of it (I can imagine I would be too!).

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 3 months later...
Guest Dupey00

We have a curious girl who has started getting into things when we are away. I know this can be an issue for any bored and curious creature, but I also have a pack of dogs so it's much better when there are companions to stay busy with. Still we dog proof the house and have a toystore for their amusement. Loaded kings are good for a few hours. Greys are super smart albeit new to house life. It's our job to be proactively aware.

Guest CometStar

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned a medical problem yet. No doubt most of the time boredom and/or need for exercise is at the root of behavior like this, but for what it's worth, when my greyhound started exhibiting similar behavior, it turned out to be due to hookworms. The way a woman from our adoption group described it is that they're looking for something that will make them feel better. (My guy tried everything within reach: books, file crates, electronic cords, lamps, toilet paper on the roll, photo albums, etc. etc.)

It got much better once we started treating him for hookworms. Now it returns -- in much milder form -- a couple of days before his next round of medication, then disappears until the next time. When he's going through that period, bitter apple is a huge help.

ETA: If you haven't tried it yet, providing a large bone to gnaw on might also be helpful, at least for as long as it lasts.

Edited by CometStar

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dog that delights in investigating and ripping paper things. She is non-destructive in general, but I do give her a big cardboard box every week or so, with new things (junk mail, toilet rolls, paper, a new toy, a few treats scattered in there etc etc) which she loves rummaging through, destroying bits, finding the food, making a total mess and enjoying new smells. I wonder if diverting your dog to one particular thing to destroy may allow her to express the behaviour but also understand that she can destroy these things, but not other things? my hound will wreck paper in her box, but will not touch any other paper lying in the house as she knows its not "Hers" - just a passing thought.

That is such a cool idea!

Lola's idea of the best time ever is shredding the lengths of brown packing paper that come in the boxes from Amazon and Chewy. Partay!

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".