Back Legs Paralyzed Or Dont Work

So 6 weeks ago is when it started. Sophie was not running in back yard and she was walking slowly and then teetering a bit. Also was not eating or drinking. so I took her in to vet. She gave her anti-inflammatory meds. No change, so I took her to e-vet late night a couple of nights later. Not eating, drinking, fever, and could not bend legs to poop and teetered a lot trying to walk. So e-vet gave her anti-biotics and pain meds for a week, and she got almost completely better. I had my Sophie back. that was Oct. 21st.

So the past 3 to 4 days, she was walking slow again and yesterday, I noticed she was teetering again, and by the evening, the back legs went out entirly. Had to carry her everywhere. So last night took her to e-vet. Doc did x-rays and told me she has about 4 discs on her back that are closing into each other causing pressure on back legs not to function. So she has been on iv fluids, and strong anti biotic shots ever so many hours. I have to pick her up 6:30am tomorrow. Doc hopes her legs will start working by then, but no guarentee. I visited today, no change. Not eating. Lost lots of weight in last few days. Cant stand at bowl to eat and drink, so I would feed her in bed. Ate only little. All while she is panting and whining.

So today, I told them to give her pain meds (not morphine based) to help with pain. Doc said this I would take her home tomorrrow with 8 weeks of strong anti-biotic. 50% success rrate with Greyhouds.

Doc saw bacteria in the discs - this is the cause of the discs moving together.

She will be on probiotic too.

She is looked miserable in e-vet today.

Any help, suggestions, or similiars??? Help, distressed mom.

Edited by LadyGrey

Ok I just posted long message, and site would not let me post, here goes.

So 6 weeks ago is when it started. Sophie was not running in back yard and she was walking slowly and then teetering a bit. Also was not eating or drinking. so I took her in to vet. She gave her anti-inflammatory meds. No change, so I took her to e-vet late night a couple of nights later. Not eating, drinking, fever, and could not bend legs to poop and teetered a lot trying to walk. So e-vet gave her anti-biotics and pain meds for a week, and she got almost completely better. I had my Sophie back. that was Oct. 21st.

So the past 3 to 4 days, she was walking slow again and yesterday, I noticed she was teetering again, and by the evening, the back legs went out entirly. Had to carry her everywhere. So last night took her to e-vet. Doc did x-rays and told me she has about 4 discs on her back that are closing into each other causing pressure on back legs not to function. So she has been on iv fluids, and strong anti biotic shots ever so many hours. I have to pick her up 6:30am tomorrow. Doc hopes her legs will start working by then, but no guarentee. I visited today, no change. Not eating. Lost lots of weight in last few days. Cant stand at bowl to eat and drink, so I would feed her in bed. Ate only little. All while she is panting and whining.

So today, I told them to give her pain meds (not morphine based) to help with pain. Doc said this I would take her home tomorrrow with 8 weeks of strong anti-biotic. 50% success rrate with Greyhouds.

Doc saw bacteria in the discs - this is the cause of the discs moving together.

She will be on probiotic too.

She is looked miserable in e-vet today.

Any help, suggestions, or similiars??? Help, distressed mom.

Edited by LadyGrey

Sorry, I have no suggestions or ideas to offer. Just wanted to say I am sorry that your girl is feeling so poorly.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

So what is the actual diagnosis? Meningitis? Some parasite?

Sounds like she still should be on some anti inflammatories, along with everything else. Also talk to the vet about a drug called Gabapentin. Its a human seizure drug that is being used for canine nerve issues with great success. It helpblock thé pain réceptifs and helps the nerves transmit signal to help improve feeling in the lower extremities. Its very safe to use and has a super wide dosing range so you can adjust it quite a bit depending the need. Greyhound experts recommend dosing every 6-8 hours instead of every 12 as greys metabolize it faster than other breeds.

Once the swelling goes down she should recover pretty easily, though she may need some PT to help get her going. Purchasing a Webmaster Harness from Ruffwear will help you help her get around in the meantime. I'm on my tablet so I don't have access to my links, but you can Google the product easily.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My old girl had a similar sounding situation (except no bacterial infection) Acupuncture was a literal life saver for her. Drugs got her moving a bit short term, acupuncture takes a while to work, but she got back about 80% mobility, good enough for a decent quality of life. :candle for Sophie

So what is the actual diagnosis? Meningitis? Some parasite?

Sounds like she still should be on some anti inflammatories, along with everything else. Also talk to the vet about a drug called Gabapentin. Its a human seizure drug that is being used for canine nerve issues with great success. It helpblock thé pain réceptifs and helps the nerves transmit signal to help improve feeling in the lower extremities. Its very safe to use and has a super wide dosing range so you can adjust it quite a bit depending the need. Greyhound experts recommend dosing every 6-8 hours instead of every 12 as greys metabolize it faster than other breeds.

Once the swelling goes down she should recover pretty easily, though she may need some PT to help get her going. Purchasing a Webmaster Harness from Ruffwear will help you help her get around in the meantime. I'm on my tablet so I don't have access to my links, but you can Google the product easily.

What size for my 58 pound girl?

Be aware that if it is diskospondylitis, the average time for antibiotic treatment is 54 weeks, since treatment is continued until the radiographs are clear. The neurologists I work with use C reactive protein (CRP) to help with diagnosis and then to help them determine when to stop the antibiotics; generally our patients can stop antibiotics after about 4 months based on the CRP value. C reactive protein is a blood test - about 0.5 mL of serum is sent to Jorg Steiner at Texas A&M GI lab. A value of over 7.6 g/dL is considered abnormal, and indicates inflammation. The CRP is not specific to diskospondylitis (it can also be elevated in sepsis, steroid responsive meningitis arteritis, cancer...) but it does give a good indication that inflammation is present, and also when it's gone, which will significantly shorten treatment times versus waiting for radiographic resolution.

Our neurologists also use a combination of carprofen, gabapentin, and tramadol or codeine for pain relief in the first week or two after diagnosis.

I've attached a link to our information sheet on disko: http://bvns.net/conditions-treatments-2/disease-conditions/diskospondylitis/

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Be aware that if it is diskospondylitis, the average time for antibiotic treatment is 54 weeks, since treatment is continued until the radiographs are clear. The neurologists I work with use C reactive protein (CRP) to help with diagnosis and then to help them determine when to stop the antibiotics; generally our patients can stop antibiotics after about 4 months based on the CRP value. C reactive protein is a blood test - about 0.5 mL of serum is sent to Jorg Steiner at Texas A&M GI lab. A value of over 7.6 g/dL is considered abnormal, and indicates inflammation. The CRP is not specific to diskospondylitis (it can also be elevated in sepsis, steroid responsive meningitis arteritis, cancer...) but it does give a good indication that inflammation is present, and also when it's gone, which will significantly shorten treatment times versus waiting for radiographic resolution.

Our neurologists also use a combination of carprofen, gabapentin, and tramadol or codeine for pain relief in the first week or two after diagnosis.

I've attached a link to our information sheet on disko: http://bvns.net/conditions-treatments-2/disease-conditions/diskospondylitis/

She will be on antibiotics for 8 weeks. If she cannot move her legs at all after a couple of days and wont eat, I will make the horrible decision. There is no reason to keep her tormented like this. I have always been like this. It is redicuouls to keep a baby alive in torment and pain in a paralyzed position just for what? It is a hard decision, but a must. She is miserable. I am not as technical as you, but I am using unselfish compassion.

Thank you all everyone for your replies so soon to me and my baby. I appreciate your prayers and love thoughts.

I have no advice or experience with this, but did the vet get samples of the bacteria seen in the discs? How would bacteria end up in the discs? Is it like meningitis for dogs?Antibiotics and pain meds can each cause nausea and not wanting to eat. Is she on steroids, pred?

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Sophie :( Run free and without pain. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm so sorry. Godspeed, Sophie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.