Osteo In Recently Adopted Greyhound

Hello,

In mid-January I adopted Bella, aka Belle. She is 9.5 years old and just a lovely. She started limping and it just got worse. Yesterday she had an exam and x-ray. Yep, she has cancer in her right shoulder. She is on vetprofin, 50 mg 2x. I have an appointment with the vet school next Weds. I don't know what to do, I don't think I would do amputation and chemo. I don't know if it's right for her and I don't think I could handle it. I want to be able to spend a little more time with her, but what is a safe time limit. There probably is no good answer to that. I don't know if I should even keep the appointment if I am not going to do surgery.

I lost Kahn last Nov. to spleen/lung cancer. I'm just not ready to do this again.

Any advice please, I am sad, worried and confused to the point of not being able to think straight.

Thanks, Jaime

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Jaime, I am so sorry. It just doesn't seem fair, but then, cancer never is. Head over to the osteo threads. You'll find a wealth of information there. Sending positive thoughts to you and your Bella.

ETA: Here's a link to the latest thread on osteo: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/318606-osteo-thread-part-9/?hl=osteo

Edited by schultzlc

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Hi Jamie,

I'l probably be in the minority, but I am all for euthinasia earlier. All the medications and treatments are for naught. They will still be gone too young. Open your heart and home to a younger hound that is newly retired. hugs.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Guest Peterhugh

Jamie, thank you for adopting a senior greyhound, its very much worth it even though we are taking a heartache risk in their remaining years. I'd press the vet on treatment if I were you. "Will she survive and recover"? Its not fair whats happening to Bella and especially since you've only had her less than two months. Love and peace to you Jamie.

Thank you Laura, Peggy, Rachel and Peter.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

What a horrible thing. There is absolutely no blame in opting for euthanasia in those circumstances, so look at it like she has enjoyed the prime of her life and has come to you to be looked after with love and compassion. Keep the appointment though if Bella's pain is under control, because every option needs to be explore fully.

I truly hate osteo and thank god that there are vets who can help our hounds deal with it.

I'm so sorry. You were so lovely to adopt a senior.

I'd put her down, myself. I always ask myself what I would want if it were me: a few more weeks/months of pain and poking and prodding, or a mercifully quick end in the arms of someone who loved me.

I know which one I'd want.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

What a horrible thing. There is absolutely no blame in opting for euthanasia in those circumstances, so look at it like she has enjoyed the prime of her life and has come to you to be looked after with love and compassion. Keep the appointment though if Bella's pain is under control, because every option needs to be explore fully.

I truly hate osteo and thank god that there are vets who can help our hounds deal with it.

This. And adding how much it means to a senior at the end of their earth's journey to be with someone who loves them and will see them through to the end. Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. They steal and break our hearts at the same time. My thoughts are with you. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I just did a front leg amp on my 9.5 yr old. Look at "Tanzi loses a leg tomorrow" topic. She can't be stopped. She pushes me out of the way telling me in no uncertain terms that she's got a lot of life left to live.

I also went the amp route to my 12 yr old back in 2010. She had a great 6 months. She still chased deer, scaring the crap out of me.

Most people who went the amp route questioned themselves if they did the right thing for 2 weeks after the surgery. But I can't remember anyone say they regretted it after that 2 weeks were up.

Take a look at the thread titled "My boy Taylor". He's a front leg amp.

9 is actually a good prognosis age. Usually younger or older dogs have a worse prognosis.

The reason I went the amp route is that I work full time and I feared coming home to a dog with a broken leg.

But, please remember, whatever decision you make, it's out of love for your girl. No decision based on that is wrong.

I wish you were closer to NJ so that you could meet Tanzi.

Edited by MP_the4pack

This. Absolutely. Love her and spoil her and know that is what she will hold in her heart, and you in yours. I am so sorry that this has happened so soon. Or ever.

I am so sad and sorry along with you. Always, in life, there are no guarantees. Unfortunately, you have had your girl only a short time. I would like to add, that, at least, in this short time she knows she is well loved. I lost a little girl doggie at only 7 years old. I must say, that no matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough.

I wish you and your girl many more good days.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. My girl, Bowie (Bella Run Softly - what was your girls racing name?) is also 9.5, was diagnosed with osteo in her right proxial humerus. It was diagnosed very very early. She's otherwise a big strong healthy girl with a big personality, so I opted to get her leg and shoulder amputated. She's doing really well, adapted quickly. We had one set back with infection, but a two night stay in the hospital with IV antibiotics and she's back on track. She begins chemo on the 17th. I never thought would choose this option, but given how slow the osteo was growing, her health, strength, personality, and that I have Healthy Paws insurance I had to give her a chance. Also, ultimately, if I'd chosen palliative care (radiation, Pamidronate, etc.) it would have cost nearly the same amount and she would have run the risk of breaking the bone. That was a road I didn't want to go down.

Best of luck to you and your Bella.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm so sorry for the bad news. I've been through this three times and it sucks. Having said that, I can't advise you on what to do; I can only share my experience. I still regret keeping Loca, the first hound diagnosed, as long as I did. I. Didn't know it was osteo until after she passed away and had I known I would have let her go sooner. I let my second one go several weeks post diagnosis and the last one go at the time of diagnosis as it had spread to her lungs.

When I let Phoenix go (number 2) the vet told me that dogs are very stoic and are good at hiding their pain. She added that osteo is as painful as it gets. I remembered her words when I let number three go at the time of diagnosis.

You'll find lots of opinions offered here. I've seen many people keep their osteo dogs for way too long while their dog is being called "brave". In my opinion it's wrong to force anybody to be brave when there's pain and no chance of recovery involved (except for some dogs like Twiggy who have done remarkably well post amp). To me, the best way to show love is to spare pain.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry you're joining this horrible club.

I will second all of what's been said above and just ad a couple things. There is no right or wrong decision as each dog, each family, each situation is completely unique. There are many factors that go into this decision, and only you can truly evaluate them all. Please take the time to read through the Osteo Thread linked above. The first post has links to a LOT of information, so just absorb it as you can handle it.

As you think through everything, I would urge you to *not* think about her age as a limiting factor. Her overall health, her ability to adapt following an amp, her comfort level in being in a hospital setting and with strangers, if she's an anxious dog who has difficulty with changes - all those are more important than her age when considering whether amp/chemo is an option. Our Dude was nearly 10 when he broke his leg running in the yard. With that scenario we didn't have a choice and an amp was our only path going forward. He adapted beautifully and we had 9 more months with him that we wouldn't trade for anything.

And, unfortunately, money *is* a consideration in something as complicated as cancer. If you don't already have her on a health insurance plan, either route of treatment (amp/chemo or palliative) can get quite expensive. When I added up all my bills after we lost our boy it was close to $20,000. We had had a recent inheritance so we had the money to do it, but our choices would have had to be different if we hadn't had that money.

There's no other way to put it - it just sucks eggs all the way around. You have my sympathies. :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

As others have said, there is no right or wrong answer. What the 'best' choice might be will differ depending on the individual family and the individual dog. There is never any specific time limit - every case is different. Listen to your dog and let her tell you when it's time. If she is still happy and enjoying life, I don't think there's any reason to euthanize right away. Each individual's pain tolerance and response to medications is different. I've known dogs that did well for over a year after diagnosis without amputation and just pain management. I've also known others where the kindest option was to let them go within days or weeks of diagnosis.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Assuming the cancer is reasonably advanced, I would euthanize immediately. When my first grey Hester was in the same situation I relied on the advice of a very experienced Greyhound person and she advised me not to even take the dog home after the X-ray. Her reasoning was that in the best case scenario the dog will experience mostly pain, and in the worst case scenario, one wrong step could lead to a fracture that would result in a horrific ending. As a 9.5 year old dog, amputation just doesn't seem a wise choice.

These are special dogs and they require and deserve our courage, and in particular that when necessary we have the courage to place their needs ahead of our own.

Thank you for all the advise. She is a very easy dog, adjusted right away to a new home. I am trying to stay positive until Weds., it is easier to have hope than knowing the end is near. That is gut wrenching.

Her race name is Regall Belooow. I know, I'm not even sure how to pronounce that.

I have no advice, but can only offer my sympathies and warm, comforting thoughts.

I've lost two pack members and a foster in the past six months.. it hurts terribly. I know what you're going through :'(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I don't really have much advice either, in that every dog, every owner, and unfortunately every form of the monster, is different. But I can certainly offer my sympathy. I guess depending on how far up it was, and how advanced it was, you might not even have the option to amputate. And if it's in her lungs, it has already progressed quickly. I would keep the appointment, and see what the vet says. Is your vet Grey savvy? They should be able to give you advice. When there is a good chance at buying more time, I know many people who have done the amp. And many who have chosen not to. With our Lacey, it wasn't an option, as it was more into the pelvic bone. But with Winnie, her lungs were clear, she was 8 1/2, and pretty strong and stubborn, so we did the amp.

The main thing is pain control, though it's hard to know how well it is really working. The other thing is the possibility that the bone could shatter, and that would mean a life and death decision for you, as well as horrible pain for your Belle.

As others have said, there is so much good info in the osteo thread, which shows you how you many people have had to deal with this terrible disease. And there is much support as well, so if you need it, please don't hesitate to come and ask, or vent, or cry. We know how you feel.

It just breaks my heart that you adopted a lovely senior dog, and now your time together is being cut short. It is beyond unfair. But, that said, remember that they live in the moment. Your sweet girl is not thinking about the sadness to come, it's only us humans who worry about that. She only knows that she has a wonderful Mom right now, and she is safe and happy and loved. I think this time is almost as hard as when we finally have to let them go. You just don't know which way to turn, and it is on your mind all the time. Don't let those thoughts of the inevitable sadness steal this precious time away from you. Give her all the love and treats and kisses you have, and know that you've done your best. :grouphug

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Can I ask how the appointment went?

I'm so sorry that you're having to make such decisions. Please keep remembering that whatever decision you make, it is the RIGHT one for you and your new pup. And under ALL circumstances, Belle will spend her last days knowing that's she's loved.

Edited by juliemac

Can I ask how the appointment went?

I'm so sorry that you're having to make such decisions. Please keep remembering that whatever decision you make, it is the RIGHT one for you and your new pup. And under ALL circumstances, Belle will spend her last days knowing that's she's loved.

She didn't make it to her appointment. She's in Remembrance.