So Scared It's Osteosarcoma

Ok I wrote a update yesterday. I don't know what happened to it. Sorry about that.

Payton is home from the hospital. His entire shoulder, across his chest and down his leg was filled with pus. Apparently the bite was from something poisonous, either s venomous snake or brown recluse spider.

He has two drains and a couple of spots that we need to keep an eye on.

This has been a crazy week. I'm posting a couple of pictures.

This is the spot he chewed through his shoulder

IMG_3805_zps9nlmgam9.jpg

And this is Payton with his human sister (just because they are so cute)

IMG_3357_zpsullihydb.jpg

61bd4941-fc71-4135-88ca-2d22dbd4b59a_zps

Payton, The Greyhound (Palm City Pelton) and Toby, The Lab
Annabella and Julietta, The Cats
At the Bridge - Abby, The GSD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that looks nasty. Hope he's through the worst of it and can start to heal.

And yes, those two are so cute. :wub:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I hope Payton is starting to feel better.

Manuka honey has been proven to help heal brown recluse bites. Even if it isn't a brown recluse bite, it has strong healing properties I used it to help heal an infected wound about the same size on Nadir's elbow caused by a cast chafing it.

http://thescienceofeating.com/2016/10/23/one-ingredient-is-so-powerful-it-can-heal-a-brown-recluse-spider-bite-wound/

Another vote for Manuka honey (haha my autokorekt changed it to hiney, comic relief?). That looks awful and had to have been so worriesome, for both of you. Continued good healing thoughts your way.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Payton's story is somewhat similar to one of my senior boys. Within a few days of arriving here he was bitten by a brown recluse spider. It didn't catch our attention until the leg swelled and oozed. Vet saw the puncture wound and meds still took a week to take effect.

I'm wondering that because your vet saw 2 puncture wounds that it may have been 2 spider bites rather than a snake bite. :dunno

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

He is doing much better. Not really digging the drains, but otherwise feeling pretty good. He isn't in the mood to play, but at least he doesn't look like death anymore. He has a really good appetite.

I do have Manuka Honey (or hiney :lol ) that I am going to try. The wound on his shoulder is massive.

Payton's story is somewhat similar to one of my senior boys. Within a few days of arriving here he was bitten by a brown recluse spider. It didn't catch our attention until the leg swelled and oozed. Vet saw the puncture wound and meds still took a week to take effect.

I'm wondering that because your vet saw 2 puncture wounds that it may have been 2 spider bites rather than a snake bite. :dunno

I don't think she was too concerned initially. The two small puncture wounds looked like a snake bite - almost insignificant, but the damage is more along the lines of a brown recluse. What is interesting is that one of the puncture wounds is completely healed, and the other looked liked a small pimple before the surgery - nothing to indicate the massive infection going on. The two puncture wounds could have been unrelated also. :dunno

He is doing much better. Not really digging the drains, but otherwise feeling pretty good. He isn't in the mood to play, but at least he doesn't look like death anymore. He has a really good appetite.

I do have Manuka Honey (or hiney :lol ) that I am going to try. The wound on his shoulder is massive.

I don't think she was too concerned initially. The two small puncture wounds looked like a snake bite - almost insignificant, but the damage is more along the lines of a brown recluse. What is interesting is that one of the puncture wounds is completely healed, and the other looked liked a small pimple before the surgery - nothing to indicate the massive infection going on. The two puncture wounds could have been unrelated also. :dunno

I would hold off putting the Manuka honey on this injury as this is a deep wound and you don't want to encourage anaerobic bacteria activity which would really complicate the healing process. I've used Manuka honey on surface wounds, however never something this deep.

Gosh, what a horrible result from a bite. I hope he heals quickly and well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

How is Payton doing? :goodluck

Re: Manuka honey, I remembered this thread about angel Nell's journey. Page 12, post 223. The honey seemed to enable a very nice improvement to a nasty infection. I miss her, and her peeps.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Payton buddy,

Dr. Rocket wanted me to make sure that his RX for Vanilla Ice Cream was being filled for you on a regular basis. A boy needs to keep up his strength.

Hope you're getting a little better each day.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 5 weeks later...

I am very happy to say Payton healed quickly. Within a week, the drains were removed and he was back to playing with toys and being a constant source of aggravation to his sister, Lips.

Payton buddy,

Dr. Rocket wanted me to make sure that his RX for Vanilla Ice Cream was being filled for you on a regular basis. A boy needs to keep up his strength.

Hope you're getting a little better each day.

Yes Dr. Rocket. He has refilled his vanilla ice cream prescriptions many, many times. He also added in scripts for yogurt, peanut butter cookies, and extra milk bones. :dogcookie

Thank you, again, everyone for your support.

:) Wonderful.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.