Poor Iker

robinw

The webbing between two of Iker's toes was torn to the point where the skin was hanging down as a flap,and there wasn't any left on the side of his toe at all. The vet sedated him and stitched him up.

Although we were all at my friend's house when it happened, my friend took him to the vet for me as I had to go out of town for work. I spoke to the e vet on the phone, and she said that the healing could be difficult and that he needed frequent bandage changes.

How this happened to anybody's dog? How long did it take to heal? Were there any complications?

Thanks.

My poor baby

IMG_8954.jpg

Xavi trying to take over

IMG_3684.jpg

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Ouch! Feel better soon Iker!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Poor guy.

I had one of mine that would serially rip his webbing. By the time we lost him at 12 years old I don't think he had complete webbing on any foot. After the first couple times, I stopped trying to fix them - the stitches would never hold anyway and we'd end up dealing with the same thing after spending $3-500 dollars on surgery to put him back together. It was simply easier on all of us to treat it as a simple foot injury and let it heal on it's own. He never seemed bothered by the fact that he didn't have any webbing - he ran and played just like always, with no problems.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Sportingfields

Oh dear, poor Iker, paws crossed for quick healing. Our Granny managed to accomplish the same thing. She and Rosie had been playing while we were out and we came home to Rosie with bloody happy tail and the house like a murder scene. I shifted both her & Granny onto the enclosed back porch, long enough to put frozen groceries away before we made the mad dash to the vets. While they were out there, no more than 5 minutes, Granny webbing got torn. I've no idea how. Vet did stitches, we had to keep it dry and keep her from licking it, front paw. I think it was about 3 weeks later and it was all healed and a distant memory. Rosies happy tail was amputated. Talk about 2 sad sack girls. Anyhow, we had no problems with the healing, so sending positive thoughts to Iker and you.

Poor Iker :( Ditto what Chris said, treat as a foot injury if possible vs trying to suture.

Good thoughts for you both.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

:( Poor monkey.

If you can keep the bandage dry you shouldn't have to change it that often after a few days (daily for a couple days, then skip a day or two if it stays dry).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor Iker! One of the kennel kids managed to do this - bled like nobody's business! His foot was treated, packed, and wrapped and the bandages were changed whenever it bled through (very often at first, less so after a while). He also got some pain meds and was much happier afterwards :lol That was the beginning of October and I just saw him last weekend (end of October) and he was totally healed up with no complications. Sounds like Iker's was more severe than Raptor's, but Raptor was doing zoomies after a little while with no ill effects.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that that his wound cut through blood vessels and they had to stitch from the tip of his toe to the base of his paw.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Poor Iker! Ken did this recently, but not badly so I decided to let it heal on its own. We washed the foot twice a day in a solution of Hibiscrub. It took around 10 days to heal completely. It didn't seem to bother him and he didn't try to lick it, which must have helped!

One of the problems as I understand it is that the area between the toes gets sweaty (dogs perspire through their toepads, don't they?), and the dampness slows down healing. If there were any scope for leaving him bandageless some of the time for the wound to dry in the open air (say in the evening when he is lying on his bed and you are around to prevent licking etc) that might speed things up. But if the vet is doing the bandage changes that is out, I suppose.

If the whole foot is wrapped you will also want to be watch out for chafing, as one long bony toe rubs against another - when Doc had to have a toe bandaged the vet was always very careful about padding it out with cotton wool for this reason.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I can't see the photo at the moment (images are blocked in my office) and I haven't had this specific thing happen, but I wanted to suggest exploring the possibility of cold laser therapy to aid healing. Zuri managed to stab himself through the webbing furthest back in between his middle toes of a front paw when running off leash, presumably with a stick (it looked like someone had taken a pencil and just jabbed it way in) and cold laser was really helpful. I was actually amazed at how quickly it healed.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks everybody for your input and good wishes. Jen, I will certainly look into cold laser therapy. Clare, the vet mentioned that we should try to keep it wrapped but it might end up being better to unwrap it at some point.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Good news! Went to my regular vet tonight. Iker's foot is looking good and the bandage could come off Thursday!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Hope he's continuing to do well.

Thanks, Ellen. Iker's bandage came off Thursday. Vet said that he's healing well but I still need to keep him muzzled so he keeps away from the stitches.

He's acting incredibly pathetic. He won't eat unless I bring the food over to him and his keeps staring at me. Nobody does pathetic better than Iker :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

Ohh, Iker... :lol:

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg