Charges For Bandage Change?

Is it "routine" to charge for a bandage change? A friend's GH broke her nail back to the joint (little toe on front paw) and the vet insisted it needed surgery. She took her back for a bandage change per instructions and was charged $140 with instructions to come back next week for another one. This is after the $749 for the surgery. Some of my dogs have had surgery for various boo-boos but I was not charged for the bandage changes...my vet at one time alluded to the fact he was doing me a favor by not charging me. Luckily, I bit my tongue before the response escaped from my mouth.

I've never had to pay for a bandage change. If a new problem came up at the same location that was bandaged, I paid for the treatment, was never charged for a bandage change, and often I as given a reduced rate for the office visit charge (though never for a surgical checkup/redressing).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

yes, we've had to pay for it but only $25 (and I think only once or twice). $140 is just ridiculous. :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

My girl broke a toe a few months ago and spent 8 weeks in a splint or soft bandage. There was no charge for the first splint change (The first splint was too flimsy and cracked in two pieces), but the subsequest soft bandage changes after the 2nd splint came off were $20. So we got 2 free changes and paid for 2 changes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've paid, I've not had to pay, both good vets. $140 seems really excessive though.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Yes, with Rebel's corn removal we were back every three days for a new bandage. I think it was $25 each time. At the E-Vet, I've paid $125 (that was 10 + years ago) for bandage changes.

With that said, $140 is excessive if it's her regular vet. Is she being charged for an office visit too?

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

I wouldn't be surprised if the charges broke down to $80 for a office visit and $60 for the bandage change. It used to be that these were freebies years ago but, the vets in Mass have been charging for these services for awhile now. My ER vet does stitch removal for free but, that is about it.

Yikes $140 is a lot for a bandage change! I am guessing the office charged the appt. fee but even so. I have never had to pay an appointment fee for a follow-up visit. If my vet did charge for a bandage change, I would expect around $20 or so. My mouth would drop open if that came on the bill for such a small procedure.

We charge for bandage changes. The bandage materials cost money, and it takes time and expertise to apply a bandage properly. You have no idea how difficult it is to bandage a dog's ear to its head. You are paying for not only my ability to place a proper bandage but to also make decisions regarding the type of bandage. Does your dog need a Robert-Jones, a splint, or a cast (or surgery)? Does he need a light pressure bandage to cover a wound, or does he need a honey/sugar bandage? Depending on the type of bandage and size of the dog it could be $50 (large dog with a splint takes a lot more time and materials than a chihuahua that just needs a wound covered for the day). If a bandage slips off I will of course replace it at no additional charge. But overall I am not ashamed of charging for what I do. I'm good at my job, I spent a long time at school learning how to do it, and I have my own bills... I deserve to be paid. Shrug.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

My ER vet does stitch removal for free but, that is about it.

:lol When I got my first greyhound I paid $50 for her spay and shots in Abilene, KS and took her to West Texas stitches intact. When it was time to remove them I took her to a large/small animal vet just outside of town. He removed her stitches and I asked how much I owed him as he didn't do the surgery.

He said "Nothing....if she'd bit me then I'd have had to charge you".

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

With my last vet, I would have been charged the full $65 office visit plus about the same for a bandage change. With my new, I would be charged a reduced office visit fee and a nominal amount for the bandage change, or possibly nothing. To me, I'd rather the vet just build a couple of bandage changes into the fees for surgery or whatever.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Yes, all the clinics I've worked at have charged for bandage changes, usually only around $25-35, though. You're paying for the time, material, and service by a trained professional.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I change bandages at home but buy the supplies at my vet's. Of course they charge when they do it in the offfice but not that excessively.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Probably charged you for the visit (I pay $56 to walk in the door at my vet) and for the bandage change.

My vet has recently started charging $7 for "hazardous waste disposal." Think about it. If everyone who has a blood test or a vaccine pays $7 per needle, that Sharps container on the wall that probably gets emptied bi weekly is a HUGE profit center for the clinic, 'cause no way it would break down to even close to $7 per needle!

I was once charged $35 for the vet to "clean up" a wound (meaning she shaved a 1 x 1 square of my dog's head). I almost had a heart attack. I have learned, at this point, to ASK before I say "OK" to anything, because they now charge $15 for nail clipping, etc.

My vet will clip Buck's nails and not charge me, but if I ASK to have them clipped, then the receptionist adds the charge to my bill.

I almost never walk out paying less than $200.

I change my own bandages, remove my own stitches, etc.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I once had a kitten that required many, many bandage changes on her foot over the course of a month.

The Vet Techs did it and I was only charged $10 if the office manager was there. Otherwise they did it for free.

$140 is outrageous!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest xengab

yes but only because they have to sedate my boy to get it done. he torn out his dew claw and he yelps like he is dying when they try to touch it.

It was $70 for his vet check and re-bandage plus antibiotics..

My vet has recently started charging $7 for "hazardous waste disposal." Think about it. If everyone who has a blood test or a vaccine pays $7 per needle, that Sharps container on the wall that probably gets emptied bi weekly is a HUGE profit center for the clinic, 'cause no way it would break down to even close to $7 per needle!

I would guess the "hazardous waste disposal" fee is charged to offset the cost of paying for a waste management service to collect and dispose of biomedical waste as required by state law. I doubt it's being charged to be a profit center for the clinic.

I was once charged $35 for the vet to "clean up" a wound (meaning she shaved a 1 x 1 square of my dog's head). I almost had a heart attack. I have learned, at this point, to ASK before I say "OK" to anything, because they now charge $15 for nail clipping, etc.

Services are cheaper here in the south. I shared a 6" x 6" square on a dog's back today to clean up a nasty hot spot and charged $20 for it. Nail trims here are $12. Suture removal has been free at every clinic I've worked at, including the ones in Boston, but that was over 15 years ago.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

yes but only because they have to sedate my boy to get it done. he torn out his dew claw and he yelps like he is dying when they try to touch it.

It was $70 for his vet check and re-bandage plus antibiotics..

It happened to Andy, too. Out regular vet was on holiday and we had to go to the local clinic - very expensive, very professional. And totlally baffled that Andy tried to bite them when they touched his foot (I told them) - he was in pain, they were strangers. What did they think? That's what they get for not listening to their patient's mom.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Yes, when in pain he wiggles around so much more. Much easier to sedate him and get it done very quickly. Then the vet tech stays with him while it wears off as they wont leave a greyhound alone when sedated. :) Thankful they are very greyhound savy and aren't to stuffy to consult with other vets if in doubt. (had that happen)

Here most of the vets charge a $2 hazardous waste fee on what seems like everything - not just sharps etc. Been that way for years.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

• 4 years later...

I've paid $30 for a cast change which is a much more significant procedure than a bandage change.  I think that price is very high.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds