Ok - Reality Check For Diana

You've all helped with amazing info, research sites and experience as we've dealt with Diana's kidney disease.

We've had some changes in the last couple weeks. She stopped eating. We've tempted her with darn near anything. Sometimes she'll eat a smidge, sometimes not. My friend made her up a venison-burger, rice, and no-salt broth dish that she actually ate! Then ... didn't. She's loosing weight fast. She lays around and barely even goes outside. And in the last few days - she's started vomiting. Twice now in 3 days.

I'm taking her back to the vet Monday. But, where are we? Really? She also has a secondary issue - nerve damage that wiped out the muscle above her right eye, and in the last 2 weeks totally took the muscles below the eye. She has just a cheekbone sticking out on that side now, and her eye is obviously compromised so she's becoming leery when she walks around.

She's still happy. She loves pets, and gets excited when anyone pulls in the driveway. She doesn't appear to be in any pain, other than a bit shaky and stiff. She loves her couch, and our bed at night, although she paces around to get herself worked up to jump up there. (I've tried to help her up and she won't have that! Also - she can't do steps so that's a no-go to try to get her in the bed easier). I think I'll start sleeping on an air mattress on the livingroom floor so she doesn't feel "obligated" to jump up on the bed. She still might though! She's got her spunk!

Last time I had her at the vet he said to keep her comfortable, feed her the best kidney appropriate foods we could get into her, and it was a toss-up if the kidney failure or the nerve issue would send her to the brink first. He was very surprised that she was doing so well with the nerve damage being so severe, and that was before it took the lower muscles.

I took a hard look at her tonight. She's SO thin. All her ribs are sticking out, and her hip-bones. Her face is a mess, her eye is a mess. If I saw this dog not knowing her - I'd wonder what horrible owner she had.

My Sobe told me when it was time to go. He just couldn't move one day. I sat on the floor, he layed down and put his head in my lap, and I KNEW that was his day to go. I'm not so sure DIana will be as obvious.

You can use a syringe to feed her although there is a remote chance of choking. I'm only suggesting this as she has not "given up" and needs sustenance. You can also try putting her on mertazapine (sp?) which has a side effect of appetite stimulation or so they say. If she's not ready, I would buy her a little more time. Best of luck. It's never pretty...

There are large syringes available for this purpose and I used to water down the k/d food so it was injectable. And then when it was time, it was time...

I think maybe the hardest situation is when their body starts to fail them, but their spirit is still strong. I don't know if it is the same with dogs, but I have had several cats with kidney disease (very common in older cats) and have been told that it is not painful.

:bighug

Do you want to wait until she really is in pain or you cannot get her to a vet (or a vet to her) quickly when you need to?

I believe in letting them go on a good day while they are still happy.

Always "Better a day too early etc."

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I really do feel for what you and your poor dog are going through. Knowing when was the right time for the three I have lost to end stage renal failure was never entirely a logical process. Sometimes you will get a 'look' which says something like 'I'm done', sometimes they will just fade and one day you realise they are just hanging in there for your benefit, sometimes they will get into seizures, persistent vomiting, blindness thru high blood pressure, ulcers and obvious heart failure. The latter bunch being signs, to me, that I have kept them here too long.

When you choose to let your dog go to the Bridge you will do it with love driven by compassion. Do not fear, you will not judge this wrongly because your unspoken contract with your dog involves a clause that you will not let them suffer when all hope of maintaining quality of life or recovery has gone.

Our Darcy was one of those dogs that would *never* let you know. We finally had to make the decision for her. With that fighting spirit of hers, we decided it was better to let her go on a good day with dignity. She had a large soft tissue sarcoma on her side that kept growing. She hated needing any assistance. We didn't want to be in the position where an emergency dictated her time.

When to let a dog go is a very personal decision. Wishing you strength.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Do you want to wait until she really is in pain or you cannot get her to a vet (or a vet to her) quickly when you need to?

I believe in letting them go on a good day while they are still happy.

Always "Better a day too early etc."

Agreed. Though Diana is still happy, this in your message struck me: She's loosing weight fast. She lays around and barely even goes outside. And in the last few days - she's started vomiting. Twice now in 3 days. The decision to let them go is hard enough but harder still when their spirit is stronger than their failing bodies. Pal was 14.1 when he left. His mind was good but his body had given up. Before he could get into crisis we spent the most wonderful day together...a walk in the rain, his favorite noms, Sardine Tuesday, visits with his friends. Pal and I had been snuggling together on the couch after his dinner and a few hours later just before our vet arrived Pal sat up and kissed my nose, I believe saying "I'm ready momma, it's ok." Whatever you decide for Diana it will be entirely out of your love for her. Wishing you clarity and strength. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

failing kidneys, kidney disease is very painful. what a stoic girl you have there. it's very very difficult to really see exactly how much your girl may have deteriorated you are there every day. do talk to your vet, look at weight, urine concentration and talk about quality of life. that's what it's all about- not spending $$ for heroic short term fixes. the vomiting is a sure sign of further disease. is your daughter at home to go to the vet with you? go with some support either her or your spouse :grouphug . it's a most difficult but loving upcoming decision.

What are her blood values?

Might check and see if she has sores in her mouth. That can happen with advancing kidney disease and there isn't much you can do about it as far as I know.

As for reality checks, well, you are there and you know your dog. You don't want her to starve to death, though.

Hugs and best thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hugs. Such a hard decision to make, and only you can make it. FWIW, I scheduled for the vet to come and put Doc to sleep here at home while he was still enjoying life, even if he was sliding downhill fast. Didn't want to end up with some out-of-hours crisis and me scrabbling around to find a vet out of hours while he was in pain. One thing my kind vet said then has stuck with me: 'This is the right time. It is not necessary to wait until he is suffering.'

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

:grouphug:grouphug Sending your lots of hugs, such a hard decision but one made with love for your girl, having just gone through this I am of the belief better a day too soon than late, not eating is a clear indication of distress and pain and Kidney disease is painful. From my personal experience, it is more peaceful to let them go in the comfort of their home surrounded by love and not wait until a crisis happens and you are faced with an Emergency Vet or worse :grouphug

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

:grouphug:grouphug Sending your lots of hugs, such a hard decision but one made with love for your girl, having just gone through this I am of the belief better a day too soon than late, not eating is a clear indication of distress and pain and Kidney disease is painful. From my personal experience, it is more peaceful to let them go in the comfort of their home surrounded by love and not wait until a crisis happens and you are faced with an Emergency Vet or worse :grouphug

"better a day too soon than late," - I quoted you to my DH when we were making the decision. We decided it was time. Made an appointment, and the day before the day of the appointment came she fell and couldn't get up. DD called me at work, I came home, stopping at the vet's on the way, to ask for a tranquilizer until our appointment the next morning. He would have given it to me, but offered to take her in then. When I got home she was lying comfortably on her bed. But I called DH and we took her. It was very peaceful, and I think the right thing to do.