Introducing Wolfgang (Blue Alec)

a_daerr

We have a new addition. :)

I was convinced it was going to be a girl this time, but Truman picked a brother. This is Wolfgang, aka Wolf. We adopted him yesterday through GAO (Greyhound Adoptions of Ohio). He is a veeeery tiny boy (only 59 pounds). He is dwarfed by Truman, who is close to 80. Wolf is a young boy, only 18 months, a racing washout from Daytona. Surprisingly, he's very even tempered, not crazy or jumping off the walls like you might expect. He's curious about everthing and loves looking at himself in the mirror. He's got a dark muzzle and radar ears that almost never go down. He's one of those "never met a stranger" types of dogs. Helicopter tail and very sweet personality. Truman is elated to have a buddy again.

282oxlg.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous boy! Looking forward to more pics. I'm so happy for all of you. Everything going well on the feline front?

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Everything going well on the feline front?

So far, so good! We're introducing them very gradually. He tested cat-tolerant through GAO, and he did well with his first few leashed + muzzled encounters. While he's definitely curious and wants to stare at the cats, he doesn't display any "inappropriate" behaviors (whining, barking, lunging, shaking), at least not yet. He can be distracted easily with a leash correction and a vocal cue. At this point, everything is so new, so I don't correct him for being interested. It seems more of a "what is that thing, and what does it do?" interest, rather than "I want to eat it" interest. This morning, I let him observe Boogie for a few minutes on leash. Then he managed to distract himself by glancing at his reflection in a mirror. Eventually, we had to put him back in the crate because he was so mesmerized by himself. :lol

did not know they adopt out as far away as Pittsburgh.

They do, but I think only on a case-by-case basis. We have a shortage of cat-safe dogs (and foster homes) in the Pittsburgh groups, so it was going to be months before we could find an appropriate dog for our household. Our Truman was really lonely, and we didn't want to have to housetrain in the dead of winter. GAO was great to work with- very accommodating. They had A LOT of dogs to choose from too.

So far, so good! We're introducing them very gradually. He tested cat-tolerant through GAO, and he did well with his first few leashed + muzzled encounters. While he's definitely curious and wants to stare at the cats, he doesn't display any "inappropriate" behaviors (whining, barking, lunging, shaking), at least not yet. He can be distracted easily with a leash correction and a vocal cue. At this point, everything is so new, so I don't correct him for being interested. It seems more of a "what is that thing, and what does it do?" interest, rather than "I want to eat it" interest. This morning, I let him observe Boogie for a few minutes on leash. Then he managed to distract himself by glancing at his reflection in a mirror. Eventually, we had to put him back in the crate because he was so mesmerized by himself. :lol

Sounds very promising! Being distractable is a good thing, right? Even if it's by your own reflection. :lol (BTW that's exactly what Sweep did on her home visit...met the cats briefly, then went back to gazing at herself in our bedroom mirror. Cat test passed!)

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Wolfgang is so handsome, congratulations to you all! I can only imagine how excited Truman is to have a new partner in crime. I hope your new boy can help you begin to heal your heart.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Congratulations! This is great new! Looking forward to updates and pictures.

Congratulations, love the dark face on a brindle. I got both mine from GAO as well, did not know they adopt out as far away as Pittsburgh.

My Treasure was from GAO and I live in Canada.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Congratulations of the best kind of heart healer.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What a handsome dude! Even better that Truman picked him as his new buddy!

Congratulations!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life