How Did This Happen? Update:

9/19/15 Update: Aiden is doing well! He has had #5/10 Baytril so far and is such a good boy during his disinfecting. The hole is still there but there is only minimal oozing at this point. The bruise on his right thigh is also healing up nicely. While we will never know for sure how this happened, my suspicion is this:
IMG_5296_zpsjqzf8w9y.jpg
We have a large row of perennials in the front yard, which is where the incident occurred. Aiden is a bush pooper and my best guess is that he sat on that dead stem and gave himself a new one. You think? :blush Thanks for all the support and good wishes!
"It's a bizarre area to have occurred in without trauma but it is an abscess. It looks like it is associated with the anus but there is no penetration." Vet clipped and cleaned the area and is sending Aiden home with Nolvasan for disinfecting and 10 days' worth of Baytril. She is not convinced that the bruise on his thigh is related, saying it doesn't "go" anywhere. If with the rx and disinfecting he isn't healing then surgical exploration would be in order. I can pick him up now, yay! Thanks for all the good wishes, please keep them coming that this resolves *without surgical exploration* :crazy

This is Aiden tonight. He was fine, outside with Bea and Paddy, no rough-housing, nothing unusual that I saw or heard, no GSOD, no "Mom!!", no whining, no looking for help. We came in, they had dinner, all good. I noticed a spot of blood on the couch and did a grid search of everyone and found nothing until Aiden stretched out on the couch and then starting licking under his tail. It's a hole above his anus, it's not deep but looks like it's torn at the top. It is not actively bleeding but quietly oozy. There is also the bruise on his right thigh. Much of the stain in the photos is transfer, the area itself is not bruised nor swollen. He lets me clean it but isn't happy with me poking. How the hell did he do this? We have an appointment to drop off at clinic in the morning. The vet on call wondered about anal gland abscess but she thought that an express opening would occur at 4:00 and 8:00, not 12:00 as this presents.

IMG_5278_zpsascjbuhx.jpg

IMG_5279_zpst30zv2jg.jpg

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My goodness. No experience with this but these open wound things are what I keep CS on hand for, to keep bacteria away from that area in particular. Do you have any antihurt wash? Epsom salt otherwise? He must have fallen, that's the only thing I can think of. Taking a corner and wiped out based on the red sore on his bum?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yeah. I would say a wipe out with a good stick poke at the end (sorry!). Very strange! Hope he's OK tomorrow!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ouch! Does look like some sort of object poked him, but I really have no idea. Hope the vet hsa some answers.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Poor boy. Hope he is better riteawayquik. .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Has he been straining when he poops? Like Busderpuddle, I wonder about an anal gland blowout too. It's not in the traditional place, but a fistula may have formed at a weaker section near the rectum.

:kiss2 Please dispense some kisses on the other end of Aiden for me.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Has he been straining when he poops? Like Busderpuddle, I wonder about an anal gland blowout too. It's not in the traditional place, but a fistula may have formed at a weaker section near the rectum.

:kiss2 Please dispense some kisses on the other end of Aiden for me.

No, no straining, nothing unusual with my best, most sensitive boy. I cleaned that entire area last night with baby wipes and this morning it is not oozy as it had been nor as angry looking but Aiden is clearly concerned. The bruise on his thigh is curious. Sigh. It's going to be interesting. Will update when we have info.

Ducky, will do :lol Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Greyhounds are weird.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Ben is just getting over an anal gland absess and it did look very similar. Hopefully, this is something easy to fix. :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Well, that's certainly an owie. The spot further on down his "butt cheek" does look like a wipe out "burn" but that hole? What on earth?!

Another mystery of the universe. Many hugs & smooches to Aiden (his other end, of course).

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Update in post #1.

Ouch! Many kisses to Aiden's pointier end.

:lol You bet, thank you.

Ouch Aiden! I hope the meds work and no surgery is needed!

Aiden, Mom says "No Licks" --- Brady-man.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Well, I sure hope the meds fix Aiden up riteawayquik. How do they manage to accomplish the things they do?

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Our collie, years ago, had something like that from an anal gland that was infected and oozed out.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds