Petyr Baelish, My Rattie (8/4/11-5/29/14)

Roo

Petyr was my best buddy for the two and a half years he was with me. I knew when I adopted a little rat that their lifespan was 2-3 years, but I hoped he'd be one of those rare ratties who made it over 3, or maybe even 4 if I was lucky. Below is my little memorial to him...

I met Pete in early October 2011. He was a couple months old and had just come up for adoption at the shelter. I'd seen his previous owner surrender him and a little white rattie - turns out she was a female, so they were quickly separated (because rats breed quickly!). As soon as he was available, I just had to hold him. He was a teeny little baby (who grew to weigh over a pound!) and snuggled right into the pouch in my hoodie:

311041_2100048186196_1298962511_n.jpg

I wanted to adopt him right then, but mom wasn't too keen on rats. Two weeks later, I was holding him when the shelter director told me that one of my favorite dogs had passed away - she had an aneurysm and passed before they could save her. Pete was my fuzzy little support system in that moment, and I was determined to formally make him "mine". I went home and formulated a speech, complete with references, but didn't need it. All I had to say was "Mom, I really love this little guy" and she said it was alright if I adopted him. It didn't take him too long to get comfortable with me:

299101_2177123913041_1551325055_n.jpg

(I love his eyes in this picture!)

It didn't take me long to learn that fabric, if left within paw's reach of the cage, will quickly become aerated:

383982_2261083251972_1585387966_n.jpg

We bonded as we waited for a baby brother to become available from a local breeder. In that time, Pete learned to love hammocks:

303849_2220037385851_1665886696_n.jpg

And peas:

388322_2382019075292_1810802449_n.jpg

He didn't get along with his new "brother", even after months of introductions and neuters for both to get rid of those pesky hormones. He didn't even get along with the lady friend I adopted for him. Pete just preferred being on his own. After Renly (his brother) and Myka (his intended lady friend) passed away (both from different types of tumors) and I returned Eli to GFNC and Pete became the only critter in the house, his true personality came out. He was my only pet, my only focus, for a year, and in that year he proved himself to be the snuggliest, silliest, lickiest little rattie I could have ever hoped to call my friend. He bruxxed every time I cuddled him and boggled if I scritched him just right. He rode around on my shoulder or in the hood of my hoodie, bruxxing in my ear. He played in my fresh-from-the-dryer laundry (he was reliably cage-potty-trained by then, thank goodness, and this was his favorite thing ever!). He also developed a love of dramatics:

"Please don't clean my cage, ma! I finally got it smelling like I like it!"

1466058_10201036889269815_941739830_n.jp

But he was an expert nester and frequent cleans were necessary :rolleyes:

1374974_10200791791942535_945280100_n.jp

When his back legs started to go late last year (hind end degeneration is unfortunately common in ratties - their back end eventually becomes paralyzed), I knew it was time to spoil him rotten. He got little bits of my breakfast and dinner, scrambled eggs and yogurt, spinach leaves and organic sugar free applesauce, bell pepper slices and broccoli, and he was especially happy if I gave him spaghetti. He even got a piece of my birthday cake last year (and would have gotten more this year if he'd made it to today - he did love carrot cake).

He was pretty well-adjusted and didn't let much of anything phase him, as long as another fuzzy critter wasn't involved. He didn't even mind when the power went out for a week in March. We hauled his cage out to the living room where we had the fireplace on, I stuffed his favorite hammock with fuzzy fleece scraps, and he wasn't the least bit bothered:

1959489_10201579566236400_1107462780_n.j

He brought a few of my friends around and showed them that "rat" doesn't always mean "eww gross!" I did holiday photo shoots with him (a few of my favorites are Fourth of July 2013, Halloween 2013, Christmas 2013, and Easter 2014).

My mom, though she never held him, frequently commented on how cute he was, how sweet he was, and how much she liked him. Both of my parents cried with me when I made the decision to free him from his ailing body, and they both cried again when we had his funeral in the back yard. Dad insisted on a fancy "coffin" and gave me one of his deep, solid-wood cigar boxes to use. My vet (the one who we brought our greys to) even commented on how Pete can smoke cigars in the afterlife, just like the Egyptians :lol It made me smile through the tears, which was nice.

I'm going to miss my little boy so very much.

414068_2650617350081_827470508_o.jpg

(I couldn't find the limit on pictures anywhere [i know I've seen it before but couldn't find it again] so I really hope I didn't go over!)

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your very special fellow. :wub:

Godspeed, Pete.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Awww... I'm so sorry your ratlet had to leave you, but he had a great long life!!

I too raised a male ratlet from a pup (actually, I had his mom so he was handled before he even had any fur!) - Simon. I loved Simon dearly and he's buried in my backyard (he was the very best of all the rats I've had). I cried like a baby at the vet's when he left me so I understand...

Hugs...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

A tribute to Petyr "rattie",

"As humans we are showing great improvement as a species. Some of us are becoming more like our animals".

Zoesmommy

Remember fondly your little friend, the love you extended to him and the wondrous changes for the better he made in you!

My condolences for your loss.

He sure was cute. I'm so sorry for your loss.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I'm so very sorry. He sure was a character. I love the photos of him in his hammock.

Godspeed Petyr Baelish.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I'm so sorry for your loss. He looks like he had a very happy life with you! I had pet rats when I was growing up, and they were wonderful.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

I'm so very sorry. :grouphug Your tribute, though, may have persuaded me to get a pet rat someday.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm so sorry for your loss of Petyr~he was a very good friend to you. My daughter had a pet rat when she went off to college and of course took him with her. She actually smuggled him on her plane trips to and from college while she had him. He too was a very good friend to her and I think made her happy having him with her while she made the adjustment to living at college.

I feel like I know Pete after reading your tribute. I'm sorry you lost your little friend. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

It's amazing how much personality can be inside such a tiny body. He was adorable, and clearly, you were the one he adored! I'm so sorry you lost your precious little guy.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I know exactly how heartbroken you are. What a cute little guy and I'm sure he was great to have around! It's fabulous when they are personable like Petyr was! I owned degus years ago, and mourned when they passed. It was difficult for other people around me to understand how I could be upset about my pet rodent passing, but they meant very much to me, as I'm sure Petyr means to you.

:f_white

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest tmgukcatfan

I'm so sorry for your loss. Ratties are such dear sweet little things. I know Petyr will be forever missed.