Molly's Surgery

She made it through the surgery OK. Her red blood cell and platelet count were low (so glad I started her on the Amicar!) and he suspected bleeding. When he got in there, he found signs that she had had some bleeding off and on, but not heavy. The spleen was nasty, and of course they took that. He said the liver was a little enlarged and the lymph node was inflamed (I think that was his word), but neither showed any masses, so both those things *could* be a reaction the the spleen. They biopsied all three, we will hear back in about a week. She has to stay overnight, and will probably get a transfusion, but hopefully can come home tomorrow. He said she was a very good patient, hadn't given up! That's my stubborn little princess, always polite :). We can still use any good thoughts you have to spare, that she has an easy recovery. You have all done great for her so far, Thank You!!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news so far! Hoping she has a smooth recovery and there is nothing too horrid on the biopsies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad to hear the update! Sending her continued good wishes for an easy recovery!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Still sending positive vibes your way. Glad it went well.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Very good news. Tomorrow, when she comes home to her own bed, she will heal up just fine. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

things are not looking so good. I called to see how she was doing, and her surgeon called me back to say her platelet count was dropping. They are giving her transfusions, but it isn't helping much, she is obviously bleeding inside. He doesn't know where it could be bleeding from, the surgery part was pretty straightforward. And yes, they are giving her the amicar, I asked. He is willing to go back in and see if he can find the cause and stop the bleeding, but he honestly doesn't think the prognosis is very good. I appreciate his telling me straight what he thinks. He is going to talk to the dr on call at the emergency clinic and the surgeon on call and see what they think and someone will call me back when they have the latest numbers. things are looking bad for my Princess :cry1

I went back out to the hospital where she is staying overnight thinking I was going to say goodbye. When I got there (it is about 1/2 hr away) she had finally started to respond! She has had 3 or 4 units of blood, but as they explained to me, that wouldn't help her platelets much. They definitely said platelets. Anyway, I talked to the ER vet (who I swear is 12!) and the critical care vet who was on call. I felt better after talking to her, she is very familiar with greyhounds, trained at MSU. I got to visit with Molly for a little while. If she continues to respond tonight and is stable by morning, they think she will make it, although she will still have stay at least another 24 hrs in hospital.

We are up to $5,000-$6,000 and I just authorized another $2,000+ for "blood products". If she makes it will be worth every penny, even if she doesn't, it will still be worth the money knowing I gave her every chance.

Good update. Don't panic when you see her pcv% didn't rise much even after the transfusions--it takes time.

I hear ya about the bill--my Shannon was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor--I stopped counting once we hit the $15,000 mark-we do what we have to do. I'll make more $--just won't ever be able to retire ;-)

Continued good thoughts for Molly. I hope today is a better day and is on her way to recovery.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hoping Molly is doing better today!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

This mornings update is cautiously better. All her "numbers" have improved overnight, although they are still low. The only one I remember for sure was the packed cell count (?) was 10 earlier in the evening, had risen to 18 late night, and was 27 at 3 a.m. Also her heart rate and blood pressure have been stable over night (they weren't earlier in the evening) There is still some fluid in her abdomen, but not as much. I will talk to them again this afternoon and hopefully we can make a long term plan then. I am still under my credit card limit, and if we reach that, well, I have checks :)

I am sorry if this is too much detail for some people, or too frequent updates, but it helps me to write it out. Thanks again for everyone's good thoughts, prayers, white light, they are working!

That is good news.

Hang in there both of you.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

That's a huge improvement. And not too much detail at all. Been stopping by here often to check for updates. Keeping all fingers and toes crossed for your girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thinking of you and Molly today, hoping for more good news!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think I held my breath all night for you and your Princess!

I'm glad she is getting better - slow and steady!!

:goodluck:goodluck

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14