Molly's Surgery

I have to keep reminding myself that she had major surgery and then almost died and that was only 5 days ago!

Nutmeg says that if you have to keep reminding yourself, then obviously Molly isn't milking this hard enough. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She scared me (again) yesterday. She had been laying outside on the patio (she loves to lay in the sun) and came in with a huge lump on her elbow, it looked like someone had shoved a golf ball under the skin, and it was hard :yikes I freaked out and called my wonderful vet, who said it is probably just a hygroma, she probably bumped it outside. I sent her some pictures (love my iPhone :) ) and she said to call if it changed, grew, or something popped up elsewhere, and she would come over and look at it. Really love my vet, she has talked me down more than once :) This morning it is a little smaller, and softer, I am sure now it it is just another fluid pocket like she still has around her "ankles". The edema is not going away fast enough to suit me, but I am not very patient :rolleyes: .

The Princess is not making this easy, but then she is a princess :wub:

Yikes! I would have called the vet also.

Glad it seems to be going away.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

Biopsy results are in. Not what I was hoping for :( I expected them to find cancer in the spleen, but was hoping it had not spread, and was a slow growing type. It has spread, to both the liver and the lymph node, so probably is through out her system. The pathologist says it is a round cell tumor, probably histiocyticsarcoma, which is fairly aggressive. It could be some form of lymphoma, he is running some more tests, but thinks the histiocyticsarcoma is most likely. I will schedule a consult with the oncologist to see what choices I have. She is, as one of my friends put it, "a tough old bird". Her surgeon said the same, she never stopped fighting, when a lot of dogs just give up, so I will do what I can for her. I knew I was just buying time, but I had hoped for a lot more good quality time :sad1

Not the results we all have been hoping for!

French Fries and Ice Cream Cones - and PEEP's from now on!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Not the results we all have been hoping for!

French Fries and Ice Cream Cones - and PEEP's from now on!!!

Silly girl doesn't like Peeps :rolleyes: I will be picking up some french fries for her today, and cooking up some bacon. Bacon is her favorite food in the world!

:grouphug

Sorry for this news. I know it's not what you wanted.... I hope you have some great time left with Molly.

I like the idea of bacon and fries for her :flip

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

In Molly's honor - I just cooked a lb of bacon - :chow course my kids got some - and the rest will go for egg bake for b.fast tomorrow.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

:( I hope you have lots more good time nonetheless.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry to see this update. I hope you have as much time together as possible, with lots of fries and lots of bacon. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Molly started chemotherapy today. The oncologist thought it was worth a shot, she has seen dogs with worse cases of this particular type of cancer get months of good quality life, a least one into complete remission. I realize there are no guarantees, and the odds aren't great, but she is such a fighter, I feel like I have to give her a chance.

For those of you interested in the gory details :), she is getting doxorubicin (adriamycin), a dose today, another in two weeks, then another ultrasound to see what response there has been. Depending on how things go, they might consider adding or alternating with CCNU (lomustine). I just hope the side effects aren't bad and it helps.