Violet - Rhabdomyolysis, Update: Vet Recheck (#183)

I am a little out of control with pics of Violet b/w here and Facebook, but here's one from naptime earlier this afternoon:

IMAG3222.jpg

We have our vet check tomorrow afternoon so I'll report back after that.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the chair pic. I'm so glad she's home and doing well.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

So we had Violet's vet check yesterday. Which basically involved her standing and panting all of the way there (30 minutes), during a large portion of the visit, and part of the way back (although only 5 or 10 min at this point), which result in me SERIOUSLY STRESSING the entire time. After the ride there, her urine was very dilute and voluminous, which is not the way it's been this whole time and it was like that right after we got back too. So I had myself convinced that something was wrong. So I decided maybe I should stop mixing her food with a ton of water and see what happened and her bedtime pee was fully concentrated. :rolleyes::lol By the way, per a tech's suggestion to watch for myoglobin, I am following her around in the dark waiting for her to go, then passing a white papertowel underneath her and carrying it inside to see what her urine looks like. :rofl I do only do this at night, during the day I just watch it come out. Lord help me! :crazy

Anywho, onto the good news...urine looked great, no casts, urine is concentrated, kidney values all good, CK enzyme in the middle of the normal range, all electrolyte levels normal. Basically, we are well on the road to recovery. She's still on Tramadol, I doubt she really needs it at this stage, but I'm weaning her off each thing gradually. And we're in the process of transitioning her back to normal food, stool is holding steady. So now it's just about keeping her calm (much harder than it sounds) and figuring out how to address this car issue. And of course hoping this never happens to us again. :unsure I am considering putting her back, at least temporarily on Amitriptiline to help us address both issues for the time being, but need to think on it a little more now that I have the go ahead from the vet. Any input is welcome.

Thanks everyone for sticking with us and providing so much support throughout! I am eternally grateful.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Amitriptyline has "dry mouth" among its SE's. If stress happens, having a dry mouth can get ugly. Nortriptyline is better in this regard and has fewer anticholingeric SE's in general, but it's the same class of drug, so...

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Xanax is my girls best travel partner ;-). I actually had to bring her to work with me today-I can appreciate your stress level--thankfully, it was only a 1/2 hour drive. The back of my car looks like someone egged me-that girl of mine sure can drool--i just cleaned my windows-not really sure why I even bother. She'll be going to Dewey with me this year. It's about a 4 hour drive so she'll be getting a 2mg Xanax before we travel. Mothers little helper :-)

You keep getting better, Violet. :kiss2

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

That is good news! Glad Violet continues to improve!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

great updates!

i know you recently enlarged the size of your car. is it at all possible to crate her in your suv? along w/ possible meds, but a smaller confined area she may transition to being a happier passenger faster. also how about the old reward for wanted behaviors?? most likely she's too freaked but a special chunk of meat when she enters the crate- just leave it in the crate if she doesn't initally take it- but one never knows she may realize that there is a hamburger patty or something even juicier in the crate and wolf it down. i would consider trying that if at all possible. do line the crate w/ a thick non-skid bathmat also and make sure the crate will not flip over.

i've had dogs who puked and peed and vomited they were so freaked out in the car. consistant repetition of loading and unloading them into the car finally desensitized them. but i will admit it was a ton of clean-up!

So glad to read this good update.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown