Harold 3/3/99 - 3/22/13

macoduck

Harold is gone. We knew it would be sometime this year. I just wasn't ready for it to be today.

Harold came to us after the 2011 Mountain Hounds. We'd lost Bandit and while at MH I asked Lynda to let me know if any old boys got returned. She promptly dragged me over to a laptop and showed me Harold. It was love at first sight. It wasn't until after he'd been with us a while that I told DH that he had been returned for food aggression, peeing in the house, separation anxiety/chewing things in the house, fleas, worms.... Yet when Harold walked through our door he became the perfect dog.

We were home #4 or 5. He just needed a chance: to be fed and not have to struggle with other big dogs being free-fed, to get medical treatment for the fleas and worms, to have his teeth cared for after being destroyed by chewing after too many hours crated, to have special food and medicine and a belly band for his leaking (and not deliberate) peeing indoors.

The biggest and oldest dog in the house, he gracefully accepted that he was low man on the totem pole to our other dogs. He was particularly fond of our step-iggy, Simon (SimonSez on GT). As a pair they were a big hit at events or when walked together. Harold and his mini-me or Simon and his biggy-me.

029.jpg

During his first week or so with us Harold was bitten by a brown recluse spider. He patiently endured bandage changes and pill popping, even though he barely knew us.

Harold loved everything and everyone. But he also feared odd things. He would not go out the back door if it was only part way open, even though he could easily fit. And Harold had a fear of raised feeders after catching his tags once. We switched to tagless collars indoors but still he avoided the feeder.For the past 18 months DH or I held his food bowl for every single meal, and yet Harold would without hesitation drink water from the same raised feeder. :rolleyes: Silly boy.

We dealt with Harold's leaky pee shooter, using belly bands when we weren't home. At night he was absolutely miserable wearing a belly band so we covered his bed with mattress pads. Each morning they would be soaked from the emptying of his bladder while he slept.

This morning as I held Harold's bowl to feed him, he fell over. He got up several times, struggling, but fell over again several times. Just when I thought this was a spell that would pass, it would happen again. At 14, and with a fear of car rides, trying to get to an accupuncturist would have been futile. I had to call a neighbor for help. I was able to get Harold to the car, but with my broken arm I could not get him in it alone.

Harold was able to settle down for the ride to the vet. I gave him a whole bunch of white bread before the vet techs carried him in. He did not struggle and slipped gently away after the injection.

Run free now Harold. Go find your little buddy Simon....

Slatex Harold http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=slatex+harold&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

142 races, 21 wins, 18 second place. Texas, Colorado, Florida, and now over the Rainbow Bridge.

019.jpg Harold, as an "italian greyhound"

010-1-2.jpg Harold, as a poster boy for fundraising at GFNC

039-1.jpg

My Harold, with the soft-as-a-bunny fur.........

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ducky, I can't send a hug big enough for how sorry I am to see this about Harold. My heart goes out to you and your family. :grouphug

Godspeed Harold, you were a greyt dog.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest SimonSez

So sorry Big Harold had to leave you. He and Simon must have found each other by now and are comparing notes on the "good life" at Camp McComas. You know I loved Harold and we were blessed to know our "white" boys.

Sending love and prayers to you and Unka Mac.

Claire

What a beautiful boy. I'm so sorry. He's so lucky to have found his real home with you.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

{{{{{{{{{{Ducky & DH}}}}}}}}}}

Run free, sweetest angel boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh I am so sorry. He clearly added some shine to the USMC and was an outstanding example of what a greyhound should be, of just how big that big ole greyhound heart is. He looked so awesome in his USMC collar and wore it well. My deepest sympathy.

:f_red:f_red:f_red:f_red:gh_run

I am so so sorry. Rest well Harold.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.