This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending our best wishes to your beautiful Tempo, you, and Rocko.

my other greyhound, who is either completely oblivious to the fact that anything is happening, or completely aware of it. he is laying his head on my ankles right now.

He is no doubt completely aware. Not of exactly what, but that it's there, and it's big. Don't forget that in taking care of Tempor and yourself, to try to keep things as normal as possible for the other dog, and carve out a little special time for you both.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks for the good update! We like updates. :nod

Keeping him in our prayers, and sending out lots of good thoughts for a quick and uneventful recovery.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I just got back from visiting him. Everything everyone says is correct: despite having prepared for what he would look like, it is difficult to avoid, at least reflexively 1) being completely shocked, and 2) second guessing. I sat with him for an hour with my hand on his snout so he could lay down and relax. He never really closed his eyes completely, but he was fairly out of it, so he may have been asleep at times. The surgeon says they are happy with his progress, and that he can come home tonight, but I don't think I'm going to do that. He did recognize me, and he was happy to see me (judging by the fact that he got up, slowly, to walk to me), but I also think he might get better pain management there. It's hard to decided if the benefit of being in his own home would outweigh the benefit of around-the-clock care.

Evening visiting hours are from 6-7, and i'l go back to stay with him again.

Trying to start making plans about chemo. Dr. Kellogg from OSU says the standard is two weeks before starting, though I've read elsewhere about treating aggressively right away. I haven't been to talk to the oncologist here yet (it's still only been 48 hours since I even found out he has osteo), but I want to make sure to balance the importance of healing from the surgery against getting a fast start on slowing the spread of the disease to as close to a stopping point as might be possible.

I am still completely certain that months, and even (hopefully) a year or more of good, pain free life are more than worth this price to pay in the short term. But that doesn't mitigate the fact of what a horrible sight it is to see. I have a photo, and though I am tempted to post it so that other people who have to go through this can understand what to expect, it's so jarring that I'm not sure it's appropriate.

Edited by jaym1

I simply can't believe that last night he was sprinting through the snow, playing fetch, and that that was be the last time we will be able to play together like that.

I have been following this thread and I'm glad Tempo is doing good.

I thought

might make you feel better about playing together again.

Dick

Edited by dmdsmoxie

With a front leg amp, I would DEFINITELY wait until his staples are out to start chemo. The risk of infection is high otherwise-his body needs time to heal first.

Front leg amps are pretty graphic at first, but in a very short time you'll have a hard time imagining him any other way. When I met Twiggy, I was so fascinated by how her fur grew in...you'd never even know that there'd been a leg there once upon a time!

If he is comfortable there, let him stay tonight.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I agree with Kristin, if he is somewhat comfortable at the hospital, then it's the best place for him. They can manage it better with their staff and gives you a bit more time to rest.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hold you and Tempo in my thoughts and prayers. :candle

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I agree. The only thing is it's hard to know what comfortable really even means in this context. I'm sure he's not in the least comfortable, and would rather be home. But they can probably understand how best to manage his pain there.

Here is what he looks like today. It's tough to see. And particularly unfair because Tempo isn't a normal greyhound. I know that everyone, of course, thinks their dog is exceptional and, while every dog is different, to be sure, Tempo is the opposite of most greyhounds. He is ecstatically outgoing and extremely emotionally intelligent. And, while he is as selfish as any dog, he will stop on a dime at even the slightest hint of a harsh tone in my voice, as he has an incredible ability to perceive rules and boundaries, which he will, once understood, avoid crossing at all costs. Tempo is an excessively sensitive dog. Every bumbling, awkward, and uncoordinated trait in his cousin, Rocko, is mirrored in its opposite by Tempo. He also has an extraordinary level of coordination combined with a tireless playfulness. In short, he demonstrates a pure, indefatigable joy and love of being alive that is more readily perceivable by human eyes than most any greyhound I've met. This is evident every time he chases the entire pack of dogs at the dog park around in circles, barking in their faces and cornering them with an agile play-bow.

I hope he is feeling better soon, and for a long time after that.

Oh my, Tempo sounds so much like my Joe. Joe loved to play fetch. He never met a stranger. He was incredibly well behaved. He was laid back to the extreme -- I could even vacuum him. He would come up for attention, but if I was busy, he just went and amused himself until I was free. He was probably the most well adjusted dog I ever met. The only thing he just couldn't resist was those cheap plastic containers that they put deli food in at the grocery. He wouldn't get one off the counter, but if it hit the floor he just couldn't resist chewing on it so it would make noise. Every other rule he obeyed completely. He would try so hard to please me.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

I agree. The only thing is it's hard to know what comfortable really even means in this context. I'm sure he's not in the least comfortable, and would rather be home. But they can probably understand how best to manage his pain there.

Here is what he looks like today. It's tough to see. And particularly unfair because Tempo isn't a normal greyhound. I know that everyone, of course, thinks their dog is exceptional and, while every dog is different, to be sure, Tempo is the opposite of most greyhounds. He is ecstatically outgoing and extremely emotionally intelligent. And, while he is as selfish as any dog, he will stop on a dime at even the slightest hint of a harsh tone in my voice, as he has an incredible ability to perceive rules and boundaries, which he will, once understood, avoid crossing at all costs. Tempo is an excessively sensitive dog. Every bumbling, awkward, and uncoordinated trait in his cousin, Rocko, is mirrored in its opposite by Tempo. He also has an extraordinary level of coordination combined with a tireless playfulness. In short, he demonstrates a pure, indefatigable joy and love of being alive that is more readily perceivable by human eyes than most any greyhound I've met. This is evident every time he chases the entire pack of dogs at the dog park around in circles, barking in their faces and cornering them with an agile play-bow.

I hope he is feeling better soon, and for a long time after that.

Yep. Even though Winnie's was the right hind leg, it was much the same, fur shaved, lots of stitches, drain, bruising. Though I do think the front amps look a bit more extreme. But if you can say that the site looks GOOD, then it actually does look good! In the coming days, Tempo will show you time and time again just how extraordinary he is. Try and concentrate on that, and not the human reaction to his "handicap". He will learn quickly how to adjust, and after the adjustment comes---pretty much back to normal! For him. I was one of the people who never quite learned to look past that missing leg, though I tried, and sometimes succeeded. But I did learn not to project my pity on a dog who was so strong, stubborn, focused and quirky. I had to let her do things her way, even though that meant holding my breath sometimes. I think it will be much the same with Tempo.

You said that Tempo is very sensitive. He also seems to be a wonderful, exceptional dog who knew how to pick the perfect owner. It sounds like you have a really good head on your shoulders, and are committed to getting through this together. And you will.

I don't know if you're a crier, or if you tend to let yourself get depressed. If so, he will surely pick up on those emotions, and it will be harder for him to focus on what needs to be done when he is wondering why you are so sad. I used to do my crying in the shower. Or in the car. And then I got over it. :nod

Gentle hugs to your sweet boy. Please know that he has a lot of people out here pulling for him.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Amputation and/or chemo were not an option for my osteo girl, so I can only relate to the shock and pain of the initial diagnosis. I'm so glad that you were able to take quick action and that Tempo is doing so well with the surgery.

Gentle hugs for ALL of you ... and you have our support every step along this journey.

Tempo looks great to me! He will heal quickly and be your crazy boy again, no worries there. You may find that his character changes a little though because as was stated by Kristin who is Pinky's mom, our Charlie became much more 'cheeky' on three legs and he seemed to bloom even more. Don't really know why it happened but it seemed like he was determined to make the best of the time he had left somehow. He never had a down day, he never said no to car ride and he never left a stuffie unturned. He made our other four legged boy seem like a wall flower.

Continued good thoughts for quick healing for Tempo!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

just came back from evening visiting hours, and it is amazing how much better he was. i even thought about taking him home, but, as the bill for the hospital is not up to their low-end estimate yet (which insurance already paid for), and as he had, like, 3 vet techs and a vet looking directly at his kennel when i walked in, im going to leave him for at least another day.

he was still on the whiney side, and for good reason, but he jumped right up when i got there and came to the door. i sat with him for an hour with his head on my lap and he seemed content. i also had a long talk with his surgeon, and am generally feeling more optimistic now, relatively speaking. he is definitely a bit distant, but he was such a good dog, and actually laid down when i told him to.

Guest IrskasMom

Jay, I just read all the Updates on Tempo , what a relief . He will be home soon with you and be his old self again. For Tempo :kiss2

Edited by IrskasMom

I'm so glad he came thru the surgery well.

Jane gave a very good detail description. She was the person who spent the entire day just supporting me at OSU while my babies were there. I had two that ended up at OSU. One amp, one splenectomy.

So Jane does know what she's talking about. She spends a lot of time at OSU.

And definitely watch that he doesn't try to do things too soon. My Diamond jumped 6 steps onto a cement patio the very day we returned home. I forced her to use her ramp after that.

The updates on Tempo sound really, really good. He is probably still quite heavily medicated (maybe still on iv pain meds), and that alone could account for a lot of his whineyness. Although his belly isn't visible in the photo, he looks like he has minimal bruising and edema thus far, which is great!

Your description of his personality is another reason why he was such a good candidate for the surgery. Twiggy is also a high-energy, outgoing, adventurous hound, and believe me, that only increases post-amp.

Regarding when to start iv chemo - the current preference is to start it 2 weeks post-amp (after sutures have been removed). The more "old school" method would be to start immediately, but it hits their immune system right when the dog's body is using all its resources to heal from major surgery. Starting chemo so soon post-op increases the chance of infection and waiting 2 weeks has not seemed to change median survivals.

Try to get a good night's sleep before bringing him home, because sleep is disjointed at best for the first week or so.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

So happy to read the updates today!

He sounds so much like my Fritz. Exceptionally patient and calm, extraordinarily laid back, and a total love.

I vacuum Fritz too :lol My Dyson came with a small attachment that has a tiny roller brush bar inside. Fritz loves being "brushed" with it, and since it sucks up the hair too, no mess for me! ;)

In no time at all your life will be very normal again, with Tempo back to his usual routine and play :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Anyone have any recommendations for orthopedic beds/bedding materials? I am going to pick him up something new before he comes home just to make sure he gets something a little more supportive than the million dog beds I already have set up around my apartment.

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhh Jay, you are wonderful and careing :grouphug . Your Boy will be just fine . Maybe you could put a clean Sheet over his Bed that you can take easyly of for washing.

Edited by IrskasMom