This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

there aren't really any major cuts, scrapes, or infections there as far as i can tell, though the swelling in his entire leg, all the way down to his toes, is still pretty severe. its actually quite worrying to me, but the surgeon remains relatively unconcerned, so i'm just waiting for it to start abating. i have tried warm compresses. elevating it for a while does help: its just filled with blood and fluids, it seems, and (this is going to sound gross) i can pretty much squeeze most of it back up into his upper leg my applying pressure, but after a few minutes it just fills back in, especially when he's standing.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep :nod That's normal. I know it's weird, but, it happens. Pinky's leg was just like that and really I think she still had remnants of it at her 2 week post-amp follow up appointment when she got her staples out. Our surgeon said that it's good for them to walk as much as they can, because increased blood flow helps reabsorb that fluid. Then when they're laying down, elevate the leg and massage it back up to the body as much as you can.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Twiggy didn't get any edema in her remaining front leg for some reason, it went to her belly instead (which was probably good, b/c there's more area for it to spread out).

It sounds like you are doing all the right things to abate it as much as possible. If it isn't getting much better for a few more days that's probably OK, but if you think he's getting worse, the surgeon should probably take a peek at it.

He really seems to be doing fantastic! (you too!)

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

C'mon Tempo, make your move, the couch has been free for at least 10 minutes :)

He was on the sofa for a while, then on the back bed (nose-to-nose with Rocko). I think he's just in the mood for something that isn't lumpy under him. ;)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Actually, I think the feed cut off abruptly, before Dad got home yesterday, and it hasn't been back since. Another USTREAM feed I follow (hummingbird nest) also cut off suddenly at that time, but it came back.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I was watching for him to come home yesterday, but my horses were yelling to be fed. I took the ipad with me while I threw hay, but dropped it. When I picked it up I got the not online message. I figured I had missed the arrival home.

Hope everything is ok!

I'm thinking that USTREAM burped and Dad may just need to reboot something on his end.

hey guys. i am indeed home from work today.

tempo is doing very well, all things considered.

his swelling and bruising is abating significantly, and he is getting much better at getting around and navigating his normal tasks with three legs. it made me pretty sad a few minutes ago to be able to take rocko out for a walk while tempo just sat on the couch and watched me go. before surgery, he would have been up at the door before i got there, and would have flipped out barking if we left him alone. seeing him just laying there staring at us leave was kind of deflating somehow. i'm still going to chalk it up to pain killers. i am waiting to hear back from the vet about how much longer he will need to be on those for.

i still havent heard back on his pathology yet. and though i know its basically unthinkable that its anything but osteo, i want to know for sure so we can move forward and make sure he's well for as long as is medically possible, which will hopefully be a very long time.

Guest IrskasMom

Jay, I am so happy that things are going fairly well. Please give that Boy a BIg Hug and lots of Kisses from me , will you.

well, partial pathology is back. they havent been able to do a bone biopsy yet, but based on what they have tested so far, they see no signs of cancer in his lymph nodes, which is definitely cause for optimism, any of which i will gladly take in this situation.

right now we're both laying on the couch. i can safely say that i haven't been as tired as i am right now for as long as i can remember.

Don't worry about Tempo being OK with you and Rocko going out for a walk by yourselves. It's a matter of weeks before you won't be able to leave him behind even if you want to!

Also, I think it's good news that they don't have the pathology yet. From what I understand, the longer it takes to eat through the bone to find the cancer, the less progressed the cancer is. (That's what I was told about how long it took to get Twiggy's results and she's 19.5 months post now!).

You should be able to start catching up on that sleep pretty soon!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Hoping for more restful nights ahead for you all! :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

i was just woken up by the sound of trickling water (note the time) -- tempo was standing in front of the door, peeing all over the doormat. not sure what set it off, as we went out for what currently passes for his nighttime walk at 10:30, where he had already pooped and peed voluminously. but he peed a lot again while walking just now. since surgery, he tends to wake up once or twice in the middle of the night panting, and will get up for a few minutes, then circle back before laying down. ive also noticed that, for the last day or so his urine (i dont really know how to say this any other way) seems to be coming out a lot more slowly, and that, first thing in the morning, its much darker, almost bordering on orangish, which i presume is a result of his kidneys filtering out the enormous amount of blood thats in his extensive bruising. but maybe i should talk to the vet about this? tempo never, ever has accidents unless something is wrong, but it seems like an infection would be unlikely with the the antibiotics he's on. i started weaning him off tramadol today. maybe thats the issue? regardless, he is sleeping very peacefully again right next to me at the moment (another night on the floor for me).

Edited by jaym1

Pinky peed A LOT after her surgery. Also might have something to do with Tempo reabsorbing that fluid in his leg too.

Wouldn't hurt to put in a call to your vet to ask some questions.

I agree that it likely has to do with reabsorbing all the fluid - it has to go someplace, too bad Tempo thought it needed to go on your doormat!

I don't remember Twiggy's urine being darker, but she was in the hospital a lot, so there were only about 5 days during her recovery that I actually was there to observe it either. I'd probably just give a call to run it past his vet team.

he has been much better at walking, and seems generally more coordinated. and, as he is almost off the tramadol, he seems much more aware of his surroundings. however, he has also been very quiet and very tired. he is really just not himself, and is acting fairly distant. he actually laid down at the dog park on the two occasions that we went. but, like people, when they dont get a good night's sleep, both rocko and tempo seem to be in slow motion the next day, and i think thats whats happening today. its sad to see him so lethargic, but i have to be realistic and remember that its only been a single week since his surgery, and not to expect too much. his tail still wags like normal when its time for dinner or for a walk, but theres just still so much healing to do that i think its sapping a lot of his energy away.

his swelling and bruising are really starting to abate quickly, too, which i am happy about. his front leg is still swollen, but no longer to the almost grotesque degree that it had been, and the dark red of his entire underside is slowly subsiding.

i, on the other hand, feel like im 90 years old, and can barely keep my eyes open. long week.

Edited by jaym1

sending more good wishes that he continues to improve...and that you can get some sleep.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest IrskasMom

Happy Easter Jay . Hope you can catch some ZZZZs tonight . I am glad you realize it has just been a Week since the Surgery .It was a major Surgery not some little scrape. Give it some time until you see the old Tempo coming out again.