This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

I'm so sorry you've received this news. :cry1 He's so young! My heart just breaks for you. There is lots of good advice here from people who've traveled this path. I'll keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry to hear about Tempo's osteo! I can't believe how many diagnoses there have been here just this week, and I think it was Kyle to said that they seem to keep getting younger. Twiggy was a couple months shy of 7 when she was diagnosed, and at the time we all thought that was awfully young for this diagnosis.

As said before, do make sure they have amicar on hand, that really helps control not only the bleeding but the bruising as well. You've gotten lots of great advice; some additional thoughts I have are:

1- do try keep him in the hospital an extra day (or more) as long as he isn't stressed at the facility (make sure it is a 24-hour facility)

2- be prepared for the shock-screaming; when they try to stand for the first few days home, they tend to scream - I think it is more from surprise and fear regarding not having a limb respond anymore than it is from pain; this is really hard to watch/listen to, but it DOES go away.

3- Once standing, he may forget that he doesn't have a fourth leg to balance him (Twiggy would stand up and then start listing to her left because she was forgetting she had a new center of balance - I would have to go over to her, catch her and re-balance her, then she would be fine).

4- He will have a crazy med schedule for the first 2-3 weeks, you will want to make a chart; some meds are every 8 hours, some every 12, some may be every 6, some have to be given 2 hours before food, others with food, others after food.

5- The bruising will look absolutely awful, and it will get worse before it gets better.

6- Keep a very close eye out for infection. Also try to make his at-home recovery environment as sanitary as possible. Twiggy got a horrible infection that could easily have killed her and landed her in the hospital for an additional 5 days.

So that's the scary stuff, now for the amazing stuff:

1- Just a few hours after surgery, Twiggy jumped up in her recovery kennel to greet the tech who came in to check in on her.

2- When she was released from the hospital, I was trying to figure out how to get her into the car and while I was procrastinating, she decided to just leap gracefully in, as always.

3- A little less than 2 months post-amp, Twiggy was clocked on radar at 37mph in a fun run.

4- Twiggy runs up and down stairs, does crazy spins, plays as hard as she ever did, demands LONG walks (like 2-3 hours!), sprints in the beach, through the lake, digs holes, fluffs her beds, well, hopefully you get the picture!

Jennifer posted a link to an old thread with some early videos - if you click through to my Photobucket, you will see all sorts of adventures Twiggy has had as an amputee. She recently had her 19-month "ampuversary", and is still doing great! We are definitely among the lucky ones, but I want you to know that amputees can have at least as good a life as they did before, and I think most of us would say that somehow they seem to become more of themselves post-amp than they were pre. It is hard to say why, but they just seem to come into their own.

I will be thinking about you and Tempo and will be looking forward to hearing how the surgery went

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I am so sorry for the sad news. And, you are right, it is unfair.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love. G-d bless and good luck tomorrow.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Pinky was definitely one of those that "came into her own" after her amputation. Up to that point, she had been with me for 5 years and just did whatever Ace (my other female) did. She was quiet and kept to herself. After her amputation, she became much more boisterous and outgoing. She wanted everyone to pet her when we were out and about, whereas before, she would hang out and accept petting, but would never seek it out from strangers. She became herself instead of being Ace's shadow. And goodness was she mouthy! :lol She developed an awesome little sass about her that I just adored. She really was something else :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thanks again everyone. I can't quite make it through the proper osteo threads because I'm not really ready to read the stories in there about dogs losing their battles. Your posts here have been very helpful. Tempo seems to be feeling much better now that he is on gabapentin, tramadol, and rimadyl. his tail is wagging and we just went for a walk, though he is still limping and slow, and he got to pee on his brother's head, just like old times. i spent the night laying on the couch with him, and now we're in bed. I drop him off first thing tomorrow morning.

We've only been together for a year and a half, so if we can even get another year of good health together, that would be an ocean of time, even though it wouldn't even be close to enough.

It's never enough time :(

Sending good thoughts your way :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

And oh my goodness, yes, he will still play once he's recovered from his surgery. And the first time he does, you'll cry because you'll be so happy. Pinky was never very big on toys, but on occasion she would pick up a toy and toss it around. Her favorite thing was to chase Ace in the yard (and bark at her when she stopped :rolleyes:), and by God she did that. Took her about 2 weeks after her surgery to get the hang of really running full out again, but she kept up with Ace in the yard!

There's a video of Berkeley, who was a front leg amputee, playing like a madman with a toy. He's jumping around with it and SPINNING on his dog bed. It made me laugh so hard!

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. Tempo is stunning and far too young to have to deal with osteo. I too lost my heart greyhound this past July to osteo. He too was the center of my life and only 8 when diagnosed. For a variety of reasons he was not a candidate for amputation and I let him go 6 weeks after the diagnosis when it became clear to me that he was in great deal of pain. I still cry when I think about it. I hope that your boy's young age will help him recover faster and live a long life. I do know someone on another greyhound group, (on facebook) whose greyhound was diagnosed with osteo, they went the amputation route and he lived for another NINE, (9 years)! Sometimes we get lucky. Best to you and gorgeous Tempo.

I am so, so sorry you and Tempo are facing this. I just lost my boy Stewart to osteo a few weeks ago. He was 10 when diagnosed, I can't imagine a 5 1/2 year old getting that diagnosis. :( I feel for you, I was a WRECK for the first few months, the uncertainty and decisions to be made and the fear... big hugs to you and Tempo, and prayers that you and he have a long life together. :grouphug

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

they're both laying in bed with me now, and i dont want to get up and face the day, as tempo needs to be dropped off at the hospital in 45 minutes. he's laying next to me right now with his head on my shoulder while i type this. this will be our last normal morning for a long time.

they're both laying in bed with me now, and i dont want to get up and face the day, as tempo needs to be dropped off at the hospital in 45 minutes. he's laying next to me right now with his head on my shoulder while i type this. this will be our last normal morning for a long time.

Try to take deep breaths. We are all pulling for Tempo and out thoughts will be with you both today.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

he was in such a happy mood this morning, even at the hospital. he jumped to the end of his leash and practically knocked over his ER doctor from yesterday when he saw her, even though she was just walking by us in the lobby, and did the same thing trying to greet to the vet technician who came to get him.

i feel physically ill right now, and even though i still have my other greyhound, it feels ominously and uncomfortably empty in my apartment. now i have to go to work somehow.

Guest BlackandTan

Good Luck with everything! Dont hesitate to ask if you need anything!!

Im not big on praying but ou guys are in my thoughts!!

he will be staying there for three days as it stands. the admitting vet said they would be glad to keep him for as long as i wanted. i just have to figure out whether that will be considered coverable by the insurance, which is unfortunately a determining factor.

by the way, though i initially had what now seem like a couple minor problems with healthy paws, let me take a moment to tell you about what they are doing for me right now.

yesterday, just his diagnostics and medicine came to $600. the estimate for todays surgery and hospital stay along with it is $3500-$4500, and the DEPOSIT, at the time of check-in, IS the lower end of the estimate. i called healthy paws, and they actually arranged to pay the entire deposit directly to the vet by calling in a credit card number over the phone. i didnt have to do anything, they made the calls and got all the paperwork without my having to worry about it. even if i had had to only front that deposit, and then submit it to HP for reimbursement, it would have nearly exhausted my credit limit. not having to worry about paying for any of this is not only a relief, but it actually makes this care possible, as i probably couldnt afford it otherwise. $40 per month for him -- ive had him for 1.5 years, and my premiums had already long-since paid for themselves during other procedures for cuts, scrapes, and various minor (but expensive) maladies. i cant say enough good things about this company.

Edited by jaym1

Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts out to Tempo and you.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Keeping you and your boy in my thoughts today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's going to be very hard to work today. Since I went to OSU, I sat in the waiting room for probably 10 hrs (it's hard to remember when I left, I just remember being there before 7.)

A greyhound person who has now become a dear friend of mine stayed with me the whole day. At that time, the only thing we had in common was a love of greyhounds and she spent the whole entire day with me in the waiting room.

It was a blessing. So I know how hard it will be for you to try to work today. You and Tempo will be in my thoughts all day, and I wish i could physically be there for you.

(ps......Thank you Jane.......you know you're the friend I'm referring to)

:grouphug sending warm healing thoughts that all will go well

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross