This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have any recommendations for orthopedic beds/bedding materials? I am going to pick him up something new before he comes home just to make sure he gets something a little more supportive than the million dog beds I already have set up around my apartment.

hmmmmm...2 dogs; how many beds?

1 hound here; 5 beds :sleepy

:kiss2for Tempo

Sending more hugs, prayers, and good thoughts out to Tempo and you. Glad to read a positive update on your sweet boy.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

These updates are WONDERFUL to hear. I'm so glad. It sounds like Tempo is going to surprise you with how soon he

starts doing things you think he shouldn't.

I also vote for piling up a couple of dog beds.......and a sheet or waterproof mattresspad over the top. easy-peasy to wash.

And many kudos to YOU! Your life got turned totally upside down.....you fell apart.....then picked it all up & went on.

Hugs & happiness to you & your houndies and you travel this journey. It won't be exactly fun, but you'll learn things

about yourself and Tempo that will totally amaze you when you think back on it later.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Is Tempo at Angell? Have you decided if he's coming home today? Sounds like he's doing great!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Back at home and asleep. Rocko took the bed that I just paid $150 for, and tempo immediately jumped onto the year-old, $25 cedar beds from Costco. Life getting back to normal for the moment. Thanks everyone.

8585531271_4ae30767b3_c.jpg

What a wonderful photo! Tempo looks happy to be home!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest IrskasMom

Ohh Dear , he is so cute and Good :beatheart:beatheart:beatheart:beatheart Give him some biiiig Hugs from me . I am glad he is home with his Daddyman.

So glad to see that Tempo is home! Hope his recovery is speedy and uneventful :).

Also wanted to throw out a note about the ortho beds - YMMV but my (4-legged) pups seem to find it harder to get up from the solid memory foam bed :dunno. (And they also prefer the cheap Costco beds to any others we have purchased!)

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

Asked the vet if I should prevent him from jumping up on the couch. She assured me that he wouldn't be trying anything like that this soon. Anywhere but the new, expensive bed, I guess.

8586856372_8b67a748df_c.jpg

Oh, sweet hound! He looks so happy to be home. I'm late in seeing this, but we'll be sending all sort of good wishes for a good and complete recovery for Tempo. So glad he's home with you!

Just seeing this. What a lucky pup to have such a wonderful loving person! So glad surgery went well and he is doing so good! :beatheart:ghplaybow:beatheart

Told ya ;) Pinky was up on the couch the morning after she came home.

Did you have to help him settle or did he get situated all on his own?

One thing I will mention is that they'll lay ON the incision when they can as it's instinct to protect it...some dogs will experience pooling or swelling if they lay with that side down too much. My point with all that is, by all means let him be comfortable, but try to get him to lay incision up for equal time (and apply cold packs to reduce swelling, heat to promote healing).

So glad he's home!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

That's awesome he is already home! He looks great and is resting, perfect!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Boy, walking them is a real challenge. I don't have a yard, so all turnouts need to be on a leash. We made it around the block, but barely. And I mean barely. His front leg was trembling by the time we got back. I didn't really notice him having trouble until we were on the exact midpoint, which meant there was no quick way home. Rocko of course wants to walk like normal, and tempo is still trying to figure out how to pee with three legs. I'll have to see if I can walk them separately, which may be a challenge, as Tempo is an SA dog, and will flip out if left alone. Neither pooped, though Tempo did step in poop. This is going to be difficult.

On the bright side, Tempo's appetite is great, and he was wagging his tail like crazy when it was leash time, just like always.

I would suggest walking Tempo first. That way, when you return and need to leave him alone for a minute, he'll hopefully be tired enough from his walk that he'll just rest while you take Rocko out.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest Nekos_Mommy

Just reading this and I'm so glad he is doing so well!

I have healthy paws as well and they have helped me tremendously. I could rant and rave about that company for days... They've saved me over 4,000$ and I've only had them 4 months, not a complaint or question on their part!

I hope he continues to heal well and will be out bouncing around again very soon.

the staff at the vet hospital literally refused to believe me when i told them that healthy paws was going to pay the deposit beforehand directly to the hospital. . . via a credit card. i was asking the woman in the finance department how to arrange the payment, and she wouldn't even entertain the thought -- wouldn't let me finish my sentence, because, as she explained, "pet insurance companies don't do that. they're going to try to write us a check, and we'll have to wait for it, and track them down to get payments."

when i checked out, the woman at the cashier's window wanted the name of my insurance company because she wanted to switch her dog over to it.

Well after hearing all of this, I'll be insuring my next adopted pup with them!

My youngest two are almost 9 and everyone here has SOMETHING that could be considered pre-existing.