This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

My 5 1/2 year-old greyhound, Tempo, started to limp last night. I took him into the ER in the morning, and he has been diagnosed with osteosarcoma. I am still experiencing the dizzying sensation that comes from seeing your worst possible fear realized, out of the blue. I tried to tell myself that I was being unreasonably worried, and that he probably just strained a muscle. But when he didn't come back from the x-ray for a half hour, and the vet asked me to talk to them in a conference room, rather than a waiting room, I already knew what they were going to say.

I have only had him for a year and a half, and we have been completely inseparable. As silly as it sounds for an adult to say, he is more or less the center of my life, and I am completely devastated by this. Subsequent tests showed no visible evidence of it having spread yet, and the amputation is scheduled for tomorrow. I simply can't believe that last night he was sprinting through the snow, playing fetch, and that that was be the last time we will be able to play together like that.

I have left a voicemall at Dr. Cuoto's office for a second opinion. However, the vets here in Boston feel that, whether its osteo or not, the bone in his shoulder has deteriorated to the point where it is going to break sooner or later, so amputation seems unavoidable.

I know there are a million threads about osteosarcoma already, but my head is kind of swimming, and I don't feel like spending all the time and attention to read through them when I just want to sit with my dog. If you have had experience with this, and you have time, can you please give me advice about what questions I need to be asking right now, and what to expect when he comes home from the hospital, etc.?

Not that fair means anything in life, but I feel like this is so unfair for him.

8483176081_99f342289a_z.jpg

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry you've gotten this news about Tempo.

But really--read at least the first post in the current Osteo thread. Lots of links and advice in the first thread, including a link to a blog about amputation.

Then read on when you're feeling up to it--or you might want to jump in near the current posts at the end of the thread.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

First off I am very sorry. Tempo is far too young to have Osteo however there has been a number of young pups that have been diagnosed so the age does not seem to matter any more. We went the amputation and chemo route for our Charlie and he lived a wonderful and happy 21mths longer. The surgery was done at a local hospital in Ottawa, Canada that has 24/7 coverage and while it was expensive, it was worth it. Our bill was higher though due to keeping him at the hospital longer, almost 5 complete days and that added to the bill tremendously. You can take your pup home sooner, just bear in mind that they will need more help if the surgery was only 2 days ago for example. Our surgeon was in touch with OSU and followed their protocol for everything. Charlie was up and hopping the day after surgery which I believe is standard as they want to get them moving. One thing that is critical is that your hospital/vet has Amicar as it helps to clot the blood. Usually this is a special order med so if you're going the amp route, have them order it today if possible. Once your pup is out of hospital, expect the first week to be tough initially as they will rely you and they need to be medicated around the clock initially. It's not a bid deal but taking time off work is the best solution. If you have stairs, you need to figure out how to help your pup manage these and that's either a sling or harness. Both work, the harness may be easy but you have to buy one whereas the hospital may provide you with a sling or you can make one yourself. There will be episodes where you pup is anxious, panting and that can be pain or reaction to the pain meds, it's tough to tell but have your vet's phone number available and make sure you discuss with her/him how much additional pain meds you can give safely if needs be at 2am when they are not available.

For your house, you will need to make sure your floors are not slippery. If you have wood or tile, runners or area rugs work well. Also your pup should sleep on the ground floor the first week so they do not need to do stairs. We moved some furniture around to help Charlie with different areas and giving him more room to hop around. We also put our bed on the floor so we could be close to him the first two weeks just in case.

If you're choosing amputation, then you should opt for chemo. Most pups do well with it overall and it's not like what they give humans (dosage that is). The cost of the chemo itself is not expensive, it's the blood work before each chemo that adds up plus the vets time. Overall our experience was very good and we do not regret anything.

Edited to add Temp is a beautiful pup and my heart breaks when I see an otherwise healthy pup diagnosed with Osteo. Please give your boy a hug from me.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Oh my word. I'm so sorry you and your gorgeous pup are facing this. Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry. I know how unfair things can be. We lost our beautiful Robin (not to osteo) at age 7 in November.

I hope Tempo's surgery goes well. Please keep us posted.

Hugs to you and your handsome Tempo.

:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I'm so sorry and no :grouphug it's not silly that you love him so much. I think it's safe to say all of us feel the same way about our hounds.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

I'm so sorry. It's not silly to say he's the center of your world. My hounds are the center of mine, too.

You've done the right thing in contacting OSU - they're the experts. As far as "What do I need to know right now," I think it's to make sure your vet has Amicar on hand, since greyhounds are prone to bleeding during amputation. I haven't been though amputation (my Osteo dog wasn't a candidate) but I believe you're supposed to start giving it before surgery. I'm sure someone here will chime in with the details.

The main Osteo thread is also a great resource with the key information in the first post.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

if nothing else, take this as mostly just a thread for me to voice my complete devastation at this news.

We know. And reading about the pain of others who've gotten the same news is absolutely no consolation.

You're moving quickly, which is good. That's why the first post in that thread will help, I think. It's designed to give a fast-blast of info to people who've just gotten the news.

I simply can't believe that last night he was sprinting through the snow, playing fetch, and that that was be the last time we will be able to play together like that.

Maybe not the last time. Charlies_Dad has videos of his Charlie playing in the snow. A tripod greyhound isn't handicapped once he recovers from the surgery.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am so very sorry you received this news. You are right, it is completely unfair for both of you. Too many of us remember the vets coming out to tell us the results, I know I burst into tears when they came out to ask if they could take films of her lungs, it let me know what they had found.

You have gotten great advice already and you will get unlimited support here.

Hugs to both you and Tempo.

Thank you, charlies_dad, that is very good advice. Thankfully I am on the ground floor already, so my set-up here should be easy to make suitable. And fortunately, he is insured, and Healthy Paws will be paying 90% of any costs associated with his treatment. They will even be paying the deposit on his surgery directly to the vet tomorrow so that I don't need to front the money. Without insurance, I don't know that I could afford the best care possible, and the only silver lining here is that, because of my coverage, I don't have to even think about the cost.

First off I am very sorry. Tempo is far too young to have Osteo however there has been a number of young pups that have been diagnosed so the age does not seem to matter any more. We went the amputation and chemo route for our Charlie and he lived a wonderful and happy 21mths longer. The surgery was done at a local hospital in Ottawa, Canada that has 24/7 coverage and while it was expensive, it was worth it. Our bill was higher though due to keeping him at the hospital longer, almost 5 complete days and that added to the bill tremendously. You can take your pup home sooner, just bear in mind that they will need more help if the surgery was only 2 days ago for example. Our surgeon was in touch with OSU and followed their protocol for everything. Charlie was up and hopping the day after surgery which I believe is standard as they want to get them moving. One thing that is critical is that your hospital/vet has Amicar as it helps to clot the blood. Usually this is a special order med so if you're going the amp route, have them order it today if possible. Once your pup is out of hospital, expect the first week to be tough initially as they will rely you and they need to be medicated around the clock initially. It's not a bid deal but taking time off work is the best solution. If you have stairs, you need to figure out how to help your pup manage these and that's either a sling or harness. Both work, the harness may be easy but you have to buy one whereas the hospital may provide you with a sling or you can make one yourself. There will be episodes where you pup is anxious, panting and that can be pain or reaction to the pain meds, it's tough to tell but have your vet's phone number available and make sure you discuss with her/him how much additional pain meds you can give safely if needs be at 2am when they are not available.

For your house, you will need to make sure your floors are not slippery. If you have wood or tile, runners or area rugs work well. Also your pup should sleep on the ground floor the first week so they do not need to do stairs. We moved some furniture around to help Charlie with different areas and giving him more room to hop around. We also put our bed on the floor so we could be close to him the first two weeks just in case.

If you're choosing amputation, then you should opt for chemo. Most pups do well with it overall and it's not like what they give humans (dosage that is). The cost of the chemo itself is not expensive, it's the blood work before each chemo that adds up plus the vets time. Overall our experience was very good and we do not regret anything.

Edited to add Temp is a beautiful pup and my heart breaks when I see an otherwise healthy pup diagnosed with Osteo. Please give your boy a hug from me.

I simply can't believe that last night he was sprinting through the snow, playing fetch, and that that was be the last time we will be able to play together like that.

I just wanted to add, please try not think like that. I know it's not easy right now but take a look at my angel Charlie. He will funnel all his spirit to Tempo during this difficult time and may you have many more happy days ahead playing with your boy in the snow.

DSC_0136-2.jpg

DSC_0134-3.jpg

DSC_0138-1.jpg

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for this dx...I hope we call all support you as you deal with this...

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

they do have amicar on hand, and he has already been started on it. thanks for mentioning. because the surgery is scheduled for tomorrow, i don't know that there will be for the surgeon to consult with OSU. i thought about putting it off, but he really is in tremendous pain right now, and i am fearful that he leg bone may simply fracture. it is incredible to me that he was sprinting around yesterday evening, and can barely move right now. he's even having a hard time sleeping, so hopefully the pain medications will set in soon.

i want to just sit quietly with him (he's resting his snout on my arm as i type this, finally nodding off), but i feel like there's so much information i need to get immediately.

First, I am so sorry that you have been blind sided with this news. Second, never apologize. Everyone on this forum is here for you, some share the best advice you will ever receive and others are the best hand holders ever. Third, we will walk with you every step of the way if you choose to include us. Fourth, our hearts break for you and your boy.

He is just so handsome and too young to have been diagnosed with this monster. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

You're going to have a good few hours while he's in the hospital overnight. Read the bare minimum about pre-amp drugs or procedures, then cuddle with your boy. Tomorrow, you can read up on other stuff while Tempo's being looked after by the doctors.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

I'm so sorry for your news. My heart breaks for you and Tempo.

I don't have any specific advice to give about amputation, but did want to add that many greyhounds adapt just fine and run and play on

three legs as much as they did on four. Hopefully there are many more days of romping with Tempo to come.

Cheryl, mom to Remy and Woot. Always in my heart Haley, Henry and Sheba.

I simply can't believe that last night he was sprinting through the snow, playing fetch, and that that was be the last time we will be able to play together like that..

8483176081_99f342289a_z.jpg

There is a very good chance that this isn't the case. I went through this with my girl Neyla and while we chose the palliative care route, we had 5 months of her running around and playing like her usual crazy self. It was only in the last month that she wasn't able to do that as much. In the case of amputation, they learn to run on 3 legs and provided you've caught the osteo early, you could have many many months or possibly even years of playing together.

I'm sorry you're facing this. It's a rollercoaster emotionally for sure. We're all here for you.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Information is important, but hope is important, too- while you're reading up, you should search the board for pics and videos of Charlie, Twiggy and Pinky - all of them are proof that hounds can still live active, happy, playful lives as tripods.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I'm so sorry you received such devastating news. Please, seek comfort from the people here on GT who have been through this, some more than once. They have a wealth of knowledge amongst them and are more than willing to listen. I have always been amazed at how well the dogs do after surgery. I was seen more pictures and video's of tripods running happily through the snow and they always bring a smile to my face. My prayers for you and your boy. May his surgery be successful and may he heal quickly so the two of you can enjoy those play sessions again!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Information is important, but hope is important, too- while you're reading up, you should search the board for pics and videos of Charlie, Twiggy and Pinky - all of them are proof that hounds can still live active, happy, playful lives as tripods.

And Darcy!! Don't forget her!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge