This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

Guest zombrie

Just reading all of this... I'm so sorry. Good thoughts are heading to you and Tempo today.
I don't know where in Boston you are, but I live in Boston and if you need help with anything, let me know

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding good thoughts for both of you today. You are not alone at work, we are all here with you.

Healthy Paws sounds like they are truly wonderful for you. It is great that they can take some of the financial and emotional stress off your shoulders.

I didn't go through the amp as my girl was deemed too old (we thought she was 14, found out after, that she was 19) so I only know the first two weeks from what I have read on here. What I do know from other surgeries with my girls is that "normal" for Tempo is to be with you, and be loved. You will give him that.

Edited by carronstar

I'm so sorry that you and Tempo are facing this devastating diagnosis. Even though it seems like the world is crashing down on you, please know that you have proceeded in a remarkably positive way. First, thanks for coming here. There are so many of us who understand what you are going through. There is a lot of great info ( some of which you have already gotten), and invaluable support. Even if you need to come to vent, or boost your spirits in moments of doubt (and there will be those moments), GT will help you on this journey.

I think this initial time is the hardest, as we try to wrap our minds around the unthinkable. When Winnie was diagnosed, I agonized for weeks before deciding to do the amp. It was in 2004, and I didn't have the support or knowledge that I have now, and I felt that I was always on the verge of making some horrible mistake. But you made a decision very quickly, and I think it is the right decision for many reasons---his age, the cancer not having spread, being on the ground floor, and the financial assistance. Unfortunately, often one or more of those factors decides what course of action we take. But like Mary Pat said, whatever decision you make is right, because you know your precious boy best, and that decision is made out of love for Tempo.

You will probably read over this thread many times---there is some good concrete advice that could come in handy, and save needless worrying. Try and prepare yourself for what he will look like. Depending on how you react to such trauma, it can be very upsetting. Just remember that all that bruising and swelling is soft tissue trauma, and it will fade. The amp takes away the severe pain of the osteo, and the right pain meds can control the pain from the surgery during the recovery. I think it's good that he stays in the hospital for a day or two. We tend to stress over their discomfort, and sometimes as they process the anesthesia and meds, they will pant, be very restless, vocal, etc. This will pass.

You probably won't get much sleep for a while. And his recovery and adjustment might seem to be taking one step forward and two steps back. This too will pass. Remember in the larger scheme of things, that he can have a remarkably normal life on 3 legs. As Dr. Couto says, Greyhounds have 3 legs and a spare. And there is no stigma in the animal world for 3 leggers. Those feelings of "handicapped" tend to belong to us humans. There were many times when I looked at my beautiful Winnie and wished with all my heart that she could be whole again. But Winnie didn't waste time on such sentiment. She just did what she had to do, and enjoyed the hell out of her time post amp. And that time was 3 1/2 years! Yep, I realize that she is the exception rather than the rule, and any good time with her would have been precious, but we had over 3 wonderful years with her. I was the one who wrote her "obituary" poem and mourned her loss during those first awful weeks, and she was the one who went to several GIG's, several Dewey's, 1 Mountain Hounds, and a couple Grapehounds. She pulled me down many streets, and showed her 4 legged sisters that she was still as fast as they were.

So this would be my advice---and I know I've said it many times before---remember that cancer is a crapshoot. Sometimes what we do beats the monster, or holds it at bay, and sometimes everything we do is not enough. But we have to try because we love our Greys. They are brave and patient, and we owe it to them to do what is best (whatever that decision may be). You'll learn a lot from Tempo on this journey---listen to what he tells you. And my other advice---don't let thoughts of future sadness steal your precious time NOW away. They live in the moment, and he will know that for each day, he is safe and loved.

This is Winnie about 2 years post amp, a 10 year old tripod running for joy.

4dogsrunning.jpg

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I hadn't heard anything all day, so I called in a few minutes ago, and they said they were just getting him ready for surgery -- whatever that means -- even though he's been there fore nine hours already. So it'll be several more hours of worrying, at least.

he's done with surgery and just waking up. sounds like it all went fine. the surgeon said he might be able to come home as soon as tomorrow, though, to be honest, i'd rather keep him there as long as possible. it all depends on how he's doing, and whether being in a strange place is too upsetting (though i left him with his favorite blanket, just in case).

i spent the day at word strategically laying my head down to rest where no one could see me, and generally getting zero work done. right now i'm so exhausted that im going to pass out for a while with my other greyhound, who is either completely oblivious to the fact that anything is happening, or completely aware of it. he is laying his head on my ankles right now.

thanks everyone for your support.

Edited by jaym1

Guest FawnFan

Glad to hear that his surgery is finished and it all went well. Sending lots of positive wishes for a speedy recovery for him and a restful night of sleep for you.

Hope you have a good weekend and that he comes home soon,

Jean

(one of the other "new" members to this "club")

So glad to hear that the surgery went well. Hope you can get some rest before he comes home.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

My decision on whether or not to keep him at the vet's office or bring him home would also come from knowing if he has overnight supervision.

Pinky was transferred to our local emergency hospital for overnight observation the night of her surgery. She came home the next day because she was agitated in her kennel and they kept having to sedate her because she just wanted to stand up and move around. She was SO much happier once I had her home. I set up my air mattress in the living room and slept there with her for about a week.

Don't freak out too much if he does things like get up on the couch right away. Pinky FLEW onto the couch the day after I brought her home. She about gave me a heart attack but she was happy to be up there on "her" couch again.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Glad to hear the surgery went well. You both remain in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Thanks for updating us. Sending many hugs and prayers!!

:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

If your vet has an actual veterinarian on staff 24/7 in an ICU like environment, and if Tempo is reasonably comfortable being there, I would let him stay there as long as your insurance allows. Taking care of most amputees in the first week is difficult at best.

Meanwhile, you should get as much sleep as you can. In addition:

1) If Tempo is not eating in the hospital, bring in some of his favorite foods.

2) Purchase rubber backed carpet runners for the hard floors in your house. You just need to give a safe pathway through the rooms that Tempo will have access to. He will choose to walk on the carpet. Home improvement stores (like Home Depot) sell runners by the foot. Measure the lengths you need before you go to the store and they will cut the runners for you.

3) Purchase whatever you will need to keep the path to the outdoor potty area completely free of ice and snow.

4) If you have more than 3 or 4 steps to get outside, consider building or buying a ramp. Be sure it is covered with a non-slip surface and make sure it is ice and snow free.

5) Make or purchase a sling. If he is a front leg amputee: If you have more than a couple of steps, it is helpful to sew a strip of fabric or webbing to the front of the sling and use velcro (or just a handle) so that it will go up the front of his chest (essentially wrapping around his remaining leg). This will prevent the sling from slipping to his belly when he is going down the steps or if he gets in front of you. When he comes home, anticipate that he might try to jump the steps.

6) Obtain at least two suitably sized T-shirt (adult small or kids large) and two heavy duty rubber bands. The shirt will go on so that his one front leg will go through one of the arms. The other arm and neck will be snugged up around his neck and you will use a rubber band around the material to keep it snug. Use the other rubber band to snug up the waist area (making it harder for him to pee on it. This will reduce the chance that he can lick the incision. It is a pain to put the T shirt on. You will need to put the leg through the arm while he is lying down. Then get him up and put his head through the neck and do the rubber bands.

7) buy some maxi pads. Buy a type that has the maximum amount of adhesive. You will use these to stick inside the t-shirt at the incision. You will likely need to use 2 or 3 at a time. This will help absorb some of the drainage. Of course, your vet might choose to apply dressing to the incision. In this case, be sure it is checked often for infection (as you won't be able to see if it gets infected)

8) Instead of (or in addition to) the T-shirt: Buy a stool guard for his turnout muzzle. You may be able to get this from your adoption group or you can buy it on-line. Attach it to the muzzle with a couple of tie-wraps. Cut the ends of the tie wraps about 1/8 inch long. Use a file or scissors to round the ends of the tie wraps so there are no sharp corners. This way he can't use it to scratch at the incision. I prefer to use this only when I am home as I worry about vomit.

9) Get written scripts (if you are not getting the medicines filled at your vets office) before you bring him home. This way you can pick up the medicine in advance of his homecoming.

10) Make food for yourself and him to last for a week. You will be tired the first week because you will be getting up several times a night and you won't sleep well because of worry -- this is normal.

11) You said you had a single floor home. Set up a place for him next to your bed. Expect that he will not be able to make it a long distance to go outside (in a short timeframe) so you may have accidents. If you can set yourself up to sleep near the door outside, this might prevent some accidents. Especially for the first 24 hours or so, he will need to urinate frequently.

12) Since you will need to leave him during the day, it is important to contain him. A crate is not recommended because you will likely need to help him to stand, this is very hard to do with a crate that has a top. An x-pen might be a good choice if you have it. Also, you can set your camera up to watch him all the time if he can't move out of camera range.

13) Make arrangements for someone to check on him at least every 4 hours. It is preferable to have someone with him 24/7 for the first 7 to 10 days following the amputation. If he stays in the hospital for 5 days, this just leaves about 5 days that you either need to stay home or find someone to help. If this isn't possible and since your vet is so close, perhaps a vet tech there could be "on call" during the day if you notice something on the camera. By two weeks after the surgery, he should be okay on his own while you are at work, although I would still contain him to keep him safe.

14) I want to re-iterate some things that Twiggy's Mom said. Expect him to scream from time to time. Typically this screaming is because he went to do something, forgetting he is missing a leg -- this will freak him out. You may be sleeping and be awakened by a scream. Unless it is a frequent scream, it is probably normal. This will go away as he learns to manage without the leg, typically within 2 to 3 weeks.

15) Watch for signs of pain -- moaning, whining, panting, agitation, etc. You may need to adjust his pain medication.

16) Be aware that opiate pain medication (tramadol, fentanyl, etc.) can cause side effects that mimic pain. Make note of when you give meds and when the pain signs occur. If they get worse 30 to 90 minutes after you give him the opiate, it could be adverse reactions to the opiate. Call your vet to get a different med.

17) At some point during the first two weeks, perhaps at many points, you will be sure you made the wrong decision. The first two weeks are rough. You will regret the amputation. Then he will figure it out and will start doing things you wish he wouldn't. Usually at 3 to 6 weeks post amputation they will start playing again. The first time he shows signs of playing will be joyous.

I wanted to tell you that my Joe was a front leg amputation. He was able to do everything he did before the amputation, including catching a squirrel. He did get tired a bit easier (it takes more energy to walk without a front leg). He also had to adapt his bed fluffing technique, but he did figure out how to get his bed just right. We had 20 glorious months together.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

After Pinky's surgery, I learned that if she woke up from sleeping and started panting and didn't settle with comfort from me, it meant that she needed to potty and wanted me to get ready to help her get up.

She was a rear leg amp, so I used a beach towel to support her at her waist. I had to RUN with her in the yard to keep up with her-she really just needed my help when she'd squat to pee, with keeping her balance and standing back up when she was done. Then she'd pull me around the yard some more :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

thanks joejoesmom for the excellent and detailed advice and the message. that was very helpful. and thanks everyone else for your extremely detailed and instructive posts. all this advice is going to be extremely valuable in a few days, I'm sure.

my apartment is essentially one large space, about 900 sq. ft. or so. it is indeed on the ground floor, and there is only one step to get outside. unfortunately, there is no yard here, so all bathroom breaks will have to be on leash via a walk. tempo was already weary of the wood floors here, so there is a large raft of rugs that basically connects everything, though i may add to that tomorrow. my main concern is making sure that my other greyhound doesnt get at his wound at all. to that end, i will probably buy some sort of x-pen like thing, or otherwise figure out a way to divide my apartment so that they cant reach one another.

the vet he is at is not really a vet -- its an animal hospital thats as big as some human hospitals i've seen, so proper supervision for him while he is there is not an issue. in addition, a friend of my sisters wife works as a vet tech there, so he has been checked on extra often. if its ultimately necessary, i can come home for lunch for a couple weeks, though i'd only have just enough time with him to get him up take him out, and quickly settle him back down.

tonight i fell asleep a little after i last posted, and woke up a little earlier than right now. rocko is collapsed next to me, and i dont feel like going out for a walk, so we'll see if he can make it through the morning. the surgeon left a message for me while i was sleeping and said tempo is doing very well. he seems comfortable, and they were thinking of trying to feed him later (long since happened, by now). tomorrow i'll find out more about scheduling his return.

outside of that, all there is to do is wait for the pathology on his leg, the entirety of which is now gone, and start making plans for chemo. and figuring out a way to lay down next to Tempo for 8 hours per night without agitating the wound.

Edited by jaym1

That is great news the surgery went well. I also echo Jane's comments on keeping Tempo at the hospital as long as possible if your insurance allows it and if he is okay there. It will mean less stress for you when he does come home as he will have started getting used to being a tripod and his wound will have healed more. Also someone else wrote this, the wound site can be shocking at first however it will get a lot better fairly quickly. Not sure whether you have seen any pictures of post amp, however sometimes it can be worthwhile so the initial sight of Tempo won't shock you. I did this when Charlie was recovering in the hospital and before we went to see him and it made it better for me as my wife did not and was much more shocked. Irregardless, it will heal up nicely in time. So gald the surgery went well and we'll keep sending good healing thoughts for your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.