This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nekos_Mommy

The vets at OSU didnt believe me when I told them that Healthy paws would be paying for all the visits and hospitalization due to my dog's recent health care (some companies only allow 1 claim per incident) and the checks come in less than a week!

I literally called healthy paws when I was about to spend $2,000 on neko in one sitting to make sure there were no loopholes because it sounded too good to be true!

Edited by Nekos_Mommy

Some dogs with an amp prefer to have flatter beds until they learn to "hop" better. Some times the height of a new bed is a little tough for them to figure out until they get better. It's not necessary but, if he is lying on the incision, you might want to see if you can slip a pillow in there before he lies down to bolster him a bit on that side.

He looks great! Glad to hear that there are minimal problems. Hope the following days a good.

a little worried about how swollen his front leg is looking around his wrist, but i cant tell if its just because he's been laying on that side for so long. its not terrifyingly swollen, but its definitely significant enlarged. his entire underside is bruised, and the color of a plum, from his scar all the way back, including his front leg. im going to have to keep an eye on it through the night, if i can remember.

he's up on the couch now, and im sleeping on the floor next to the couch.

Pinky developed some puffiness in her remaining back leg after surgery. If it feels squishy (like Stretch Armstrong), its the same as what she had. Gentle massage starting at the toes and moving upward helped her reabsorb that fluid over the course of about a week or so. I also applied cold packs and warm packs to that leg in between massages and kept it elevated when I could.

Of course, every time she got up, she'd get some pooling around her ankle and it would jiggle as she hopped around in the yard. I could tell it was uncomfortable for her and it slowed her down, so we made our potty trips brief until she had reabsorbed that fluid.

Is he on Amicar? It should help with the bruising, etc.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Demon had a lot of blood/swelling in his remaining front leg. It made him very uncomfortable. Is he still on the amicar? I second the elevation and massage mentioned earlier.

I found it easiest to walk both at the tripod's pace and length. Put the tripod inside and continue to walk for the 4-legger.

I've been following this story, and I wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. When there is a trauma to the body, like an amputation, the swelling can be tremendous and will sink down to other dependent (lower) parts of the body. Since there is nothing below the amputation site, and nowhere for it to go, it will pool in the other nearby leg.

So sweet to see him on the couch. My dog is currently recovering from a ruptured disc on a queen-sized mattress in the middle of the living room, because she was only going to be happy if she was on that bed, and we didn't want her to fall off (she scoots around, and doesn't have a great sense of where her butt is in space).

Good luck with the recovery. My heart goes out to you and your dog.

3964308598_c55bc0aa88_o.jpg

Tempo is doing fantastic! As you've seen he will lay on either side - to this day, Twiggy is about 50/50 leg-side, amp-side.

As Kristin suggested, you might want to take Tempo out separately for the first couple weeks because going all the way around the block may be a bit much for him right now. Since Twiggy is a girl, I didn't have to worry about her figuring out how to lift her leg for potties. I'm guessing most male tripods end up squatting (I have fostered plenty of 4-legged males who squatted, so it isn't impossible!).

I love the photos you posted. He looks so happy to be home, and you must be relieved to have him back with you.

As for the beds, I'm guessing Tempo is thrilled to be back to what he is used to, and Rocko is thrilled to have his new present (even if that isn't how you intended it!)

I am so happy to see how well you are all doing!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Oh wow, I am really impressed with Tempo's ability to maneuver on three legs already! He spent a good amount of time circling around, fluffing his bed, and checking for snakes. His movement looked very natural. How cool is that.

You almost need something that moves automatically (like a clock pendulum) to prove it's a live shot rather than a still. ;)

You might want to bunch up a bit of Tempo's shirt at the hem and rubber band some of the surplus fabric in a lump on his back. With it long like that, he risks catching his back toes in the dangling hem, especially when he goes to get up on the sofa. If the excess is at his back, it won't be lumpy under him when he sleeps.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

true. i had it tied up earlier, but it came loose.

usually after one of them doesn't move for about 15 minutes, i start worrying that they've died. which is why i havent monitored them like this for a long time.

A rubber band or a hair scrunchy is usually pretty secure.

I have a nearly-13-year-old here at home, and I have to stare at him closely every now and then. He's a serious sleeper.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Asked the vet if I should prevent him from jumping up on the couch. She assured me that he wouldn't be trying anything like that this soon. Anywhere but the new, expensive bed, I guess.

8586856372_8b67a748df_c.jpg

What do vets know anyway? <insert smiley face here because for some reason I haven't been able to use emoticons on this site for some time>

Jane

I have been watching for five minutes or so and Tempo finally wiggled a paw. I was convinced that the camera had frozen :)

edited to add: He just lifted his head and yawned!!!! How exciting ;)

edited to add again: how come smiley faces are working on this post? very confusing.

Edited by joejoesmom

My guys usually ignore noises from my laptop, but they're paying attention when they hear Rocko.