This Is A Thread I Hoped I Would Never Have To Make

Guest BlackandTan

Ughhhh I hate reading these threads..... You have options and tons of people to support you through your descision..

Just to add too... If you wanted a second opinion by a local vet Dr Walker in Bridgewater was the main vet for the track and is very well experienced in all greyhound related stuff.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My angel Onyx had osteo and I decided on the amputation and the chemo. It was done at Angel in Boston back quite a few years ago now. Ask the surgeon to contact OSU about the surgery and while there is probably nothing new that he will learn, there is a chance that OSU might have some slightly different recommendations that could make a difference long-term since they are doing so much research on osteo in greyhounds. As someone suggested, the amicar is now recommended for many types of greyhound surgery.

This is a tough decision either way that you go and even all my preparation did not prepare me for the first week. I did take my boy home the day after the surgery which is pretty early for an amp. Just remember .. your boy Tempo (and he is quite beautiful), will adjust and be happy and will be flying around the yard in the not-to-distant-future. The first two weeks are the toughest and during this time you will wonder why you ever went down this path. The pain meds can be tough for greyhounds and sometimes will make them worse with the panting and the pacing. You might have to help him get up and down. Make sure the dog beds are not too fluffy and are firm enough so that he will not catch his foot. You WILL HAVE to make sure that you put non-skid rugs down so that your boy has some firm footing until he learns to work his legs better.

One obvious fact was that the pain from the amputation was not as bad as the pain from the bone cancer and was controllable by the pain meds. Once the recovery set in, it was fast ... one day he hopped into the yard and then started running and I was holding my breath .. my boy was back... The chemo did cause some setbacks but, only a few days. They have better stomach meds now that will keep the nausea at bay.

Hope the surgery goes well and that you smooth sailing in the days ahead.

Oh God... I am so sorry you're going through this.

My boy is 5 1/2 too... You're probably never prepared for news like this, but 5 1/2 is way too young...

Hugs and best wishes for a successful surgery and treatment. :goodluck

Sending hugs and prayers for you and your boy. :grouphug:hope :hope :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I'm so sorry that you got that news. It's a HORRID disease.

Just remember whatever choice you make, you make it out of love for Tempo. So no decision is wrong.

I'll tell you what I did. I drove from NJ to OSU. I specifically went because I know they see hundreds of greys and they could tell me if they thought my Diamond could handle being a tripod. After a day of tests, the conclusion was that she could. So I had the amp there.

The drive out there was Wed. The all day test was Thurs. The surgery was Fri. And I was driving home Tues. She had two weeks that weren't the best. But once she was off pain meds, she was fine. She had a very happy painfree 6 months.

By the way, Diamond was 12!!!! (it was a front leg amp)

For me, while I doubted my decision for the 2 weeks immediately following the surgery, now as I look back, it was the right decision.

Good luck. I'm glad you're already in touch with OSU. And you're absolutely right, 5 1/2 is WAY too young. I lost a 5 yr old to liver disease.

I'm so sorry :grouphug

My vet kept telling me that my Sparks limp wasn't cancer and not to worry. I did insist on an xray but nothing show up. 6 months later he was limping even more so I took him to a different vet, xray showed osteo. He was gone 2 weeks later. I live with this every day that he was in pain for 6 months and I didn't know. I will always think twice about a limp now.

In the last few months, I've noticed 2 hounds limping. I mentioned to the owners that they should get an xray. They had no idea that it could be cancer. They just thought it was arthritis. Sure enough, both had osteo and are already gone.

Cancer sucks and I hate it. It's taken way too many beloved hounds from us.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Something I haven't necessarily seen covered elsewhere: is a front leg amputation generally easier for them to adjust to, or is it the other way around, with the rear leg being easier? Or maybe it's all the same?

Unfortunately I can't take lots of time off from work for this and, as I live alone, they will have to be home during the days on their own. I am thinking about seeing if prolonging his stay in the hospital for even a day might be a possibility.

On a side note, OSU has gotten back to me insanely fast. They looked at the films and the other diagnostics, and they concur with the diagnosis my vet has given, so that makes me feel better. I do wish I could simply bring him to ohio, like the many others who have done so, but with two greyhounds, limited means, and the fact that i cant get that much time off, it simply won't be possible. I am pretty confident, based on past results, in the vets where I am now.

In retrospect, Tempo has always been a very active greyhound, and a very hard runner. He has, for a long time, finished his runs (after a ball, or just around the park when he's excited) by standing and holding a paw up. This didn't happen all of the time, or even most of the time. But it did happen frequently enough that it wasn't abnormal at all. I always thought it was because he had run over rocks, or sticks, or gravel, particularly because he would go right back to running full speed, and never actually limped. And while it might indeed have been nothing to worry about, I will always worry about anything like that in the future.

For now, the pain medication has knocked him out, and he is asleep next to me on the couch. Trying to enjoy this quiet time next to him before what will undoubtedly be a very trying few weeks, starting tomorrow.

Edited by jaym1

Rear leg amputations are easy for hounds to get used to as they have more weight up-front however I have seen some front leg amputees that get around great.

For the first week post-op can you take any time from work? Or work from home? If not, is there anyone who can help you out while you are at work? Just thinking of ways to make easier on both of you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thanks. I can take a couple days, probably. He will have the weekend to recuperate, and the hospital is just down the street from me. I can probably have people drop in on them now and again, but they won't be able to stay. I have a camera setup so I can monitor them, but obviously that's not the same as being there.

Thanks. I can take a couple days, probably. He will have the weekend to recuperate, and the hospital is just down the street from me. I can probably have people drop in on them now and again, but they won't be able to stay. I have a camera setup so I can monitor them, but obviously that's not the same as being there.

Well I would say the first couple nights can be a little rough and usually we humans are the worst part of it all. As long as Tempo has the right dosage of pain meds and no complications from surgery then he will do better each day. After the first few days at home Charlie want to run on his own but I would not let him.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

No advice (had four with OS here; no amputations). Just best wishes for you and your boy.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Something I haven't necessarily seen covered elsewhere: is a front leg amputation generally easier for them to adjust to, or is it the other way around, with the rear leg being easier? Or maybe it's all the same?

Rear leg amputations are usually a little easier as Kyle mentioned, but most dogs do fine with front leg amps too. Twiggy is one who's had a front leg amp who is very active. Here's an old message with some video that Twiggy's mom posted to show how well she was getting around shortly after surgery.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Hey, if my 12 yr old could get around with a front amp, anyone can.

I will say prayers that he does well. And come talk to us non-stop the first two weeks. He'll probably pant and whine a lot. I believed that it was more the meds than the surgery in Diamond. But I was also super glad that OSU kept her for 3 days before discharging her to me. She was ready to go home then.

I'm also a single person, living alone. I had 4 greyhounds at that time.

One thing though....do you have stairs? Diamond always had trouble with stairs, but after her amp, she really had trouble. I built a ramp for her. All by myself (I'm a mid-50's woman) and she took to it readily.

I'm so sorry.........there are many heros on this forum who have proved that there is greyt quality of life after amputation.

I will never forget meeting Twiggy (front-leg amputee) at Mountain Hounds, and the ovation she received while tearing up

the Fun Run. That girl can positively FLY on 3 legs.

We'll be thing of you & Tempo tomorrow......sending prayers that all goes well and recovery is swift.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest IrskasMom

Lots of Prayers and gentle Hugs for Tempo . Charlies_Dad gave the utmost Advice and will walk you through . We are all here to Support you and listen. BTW. Tempo is gorgeous :beatheart:beatheart :beatheart :beatheart:beatheart

I wanted to add how sorry I am that you are facing this with Tempo. Your right, this is not fair, unfortunately cancer doesn't play fair. I will keep you and your boy in my thoughts tomorrow that his amputation goes without complication.