Desi's Day At Osu = Hard On Us Both

Thank every one of you for thinking of us.....it means more than you can ever know. Even though I'm alone......I'm NOT alone.

First the good news.....IT IS NOT OS!!!!!!!

Now for the bad news.....they now know what it is......but not WHAT it is, if that makes any sense.

We were there from 10:30 am until 5:30 pm. I hope we never have to spend a day like that again.

Oncology reviewed xrays we'd done at my clinic.....agreed it was not osteosarc. Called in ortho, between them all, decided

the problem was in his right tricep muscle. Needed permission for sedation, ultrasound, aspirate, cytology. Do it.

Here it is: "Ultrasound shows hyperechoic focal lesion in the right tricep muscle. Cytology of said lesion in muscle did not

demonstrate a diagnostic sample. Normal muscle was seen in one slide, a few spindle-shaped cells are seen with minimal

variation in cell size and nuclear size. They are mesenquimal cells but too few were present for adequate evaluation."

I saw Dr. Clemente, who I liked very much. He talked and talked to me and explained everything and showed me the

ultrasound and admitted that he really had not seen anything present quite like that. He was sure it wasn't os, and

also sure it wasn't hemangio, but not sure what it is. Thought myositis, though didn't see any inflammatory cells on

cytology, perhaps some kind of neoplasia, although he thought he would have recognized those cells as well; another

possibility "acute vascular event" which, given his accent, I didn't quite understand as well as I'd like.

End result.......up the pain meds, rest through the weekend (and holiday on Monday). It it gets better, great. If not,

next step is surgical biopsy and histo. His preference was to give it a few days, so that's what we're doing.

It could still turn out bad, but at least I know his bone is good and the leg is not going to break on his next step.

I'm still very, very worried, but at least the dead panic is over. Now if I could just get him to eat.

Wouldn't even eat his scrambled egg tonight. I'm taking tomorrow off for a grocery run for something yummy.

So if any of you vets out there know what he means by "acute vascular event" please explain it to me in

kindergarden terms. I think I caught the drift that he meant some traumatic event that caused a muscle tear

or bleeding in the muscle..........is that right?

We're both worn out........maybe we'll both sleep tonight.

Thanks again to everyone.

Kathy & The Big Des

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad it's not osteo but man, what a rough day for you both. Hope you both get some sleep.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Jacks_Human

Good to hear it's not osteo. Will send good thoughts.

Acute vascular event = a blockage/spasm/damage to blood vessels in a specific area. This leads to muscle death in the area, which is painful and releases toxins from cell death into the bloodstream, which causes general yuckiness. (It's what happened to Dr. House's leg, if that helps). It's treatable, though you would want to find out the original cause.

Thanks for the update. Hope the rest helps you both feel better! Thinking of you.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

So glad you are both back home. Desi is probably not eating right now because of the anesthesia, hopefully his appetite will be back later tonight or in the morning.

This still has to be frustrating not having a detailed diagnosis, but I'm sure you must be relieved to eliminate osteo.

I hope the meds are keeping him nice and comfortable, and that you both get a really good night's sleep - you sure could both use it!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

{{{You did it.}}} So glad you got some answers and have a plan. Hope you both got some rest. We are all pulling for your sweet old guy!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Hoping your boy is feeling better this morning.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

glad for the good news and here's hoping that Desi will feel better with rest.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

What a relief - no "O"! Hope everyone is feeling better this morning!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks again, all, for your good thoughts. We did get about 4 uninterupted hrs of sleep last night....I for one feel much better for that.

Desi seems a little brighter to me this morning, either that or the increased Tramadol is doing it's job. He got out to the yard with minimal

fussing & coaxing for a pee & poo and then just stood there for a bit sniffing the cold crisp air. I think that alone made him feel better.

I even got a little breakfast into him.....soaked some kibble with beef broth & added an egg.

I'm a country/small town girl, and totally HATE driving in the "inner city" and always swore if would take a dire emergency to get me

down to OSU. Well, I had one, and I went, and yes, I got lost.....but that was Mapquest's fault for trying to send me through a flipping

parking lot to get to the street I needed to be on. Once I finally got there, they were stupendous. They carted Desi in on a guerney (sp?)

because of his pain level, and even though I didn't see him again for over 7 hours, they kept me informed every step of the way.

Yes, it was a long day. I was "worked in" to an already full schedule......getting the ortho guy to consult took longer, because he had a

full schedule, Dr. Clemente went to the lab himself cause they were busy. They have a kind of PR person working the lobby, which

seemed to be packed all day long, and they somehow manage to keep track of who's there for an ordinary appointment, and who's there

for an "emergency." The first sign of distress, they're there with a box of kleenex, a shoulder, and a Hershey's kiss. And if you seem to be

getting antsy, they'll go see what's going on & let you know.

Dr. Kellog from the GH Health/Wellness program even called last night to see how he was & to tell me Dr. Clemente was one of the best.

Yes, I blew my whole Mt.Hounds budget, so we won't be going to Gatlinburg this year, but I have my big boy here with me now, and even

though Dr. Clemente said he would have to call his prognosis "guarded" since they weren't positive what was going on, in my heart it's a

GOOD prognosis. I just wish I'd had enough wit to see if they could have e-mailed or printed that ultrasound image. It was totally amazing

and totally scary. The image showed both triceps side by side. The "lesion" in the right side looked like a big fuzzy egg. Totally wrong,

totally shouldn't be there.

Anyway. we're both alive, and (kind of) well. Desi seems a little better; I'm nursing a ginormous tension headache for the 3rd day.

and................OSU ROCKS!!! and.......never have I been more appreciative of this forum & the love & concern that pours out when you

need it most.

Desi & I send our love to all of you, and hope we don't need to beg for "white light" for a long, long time.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.