Spent New Years Day At The E-Vet! Update #115 :(

hoping he's doing better! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good way to start the New Year. Hope Cody feels better soon!

I have never had a Vet tell me to "hold off" on Pepcid, regardless of the med involved. IIWM: I would call again and ask for a more detailed explanation before deciding.

Edited by duncan41

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Update...

Cody still not eating much, chesse that he was eating before he now turns his nose up at, he did crunch on some Charlie bears and licked a bit of peanut butter but didnt have much else, he's down another pound from the 1st. We saw our regular vet today, she found two more lymph nodes swollen and aspirated a couple of them. We aren't continuing the Rimadyl right now (I didn't give it to him last night or this morning) but are on some Tramadol to hopefully ease any mouth pain, assuming thats what is causing his lack of eating. I need to find some good stuff that he can just swallow.

...and we wait for the test results back.

:( Hope your best boy is better soonest!

Wouldn't hesitate to give him the pepcid -- won't hurt, could help.

Stuff he can just swallow: Yogurt, ice cream, scrambled eggs, spaghettios, overcooked pasta or rice in some broth, canned tuna (go easy - salty), canned dog food -- Pedigree and IAMS make some that are non-chunky; EVO regular is pretty smooth too but go easy on this one; moosh up with some warm water to make a thick soup. If he's having back-end digestive troubles, could get some canned I/D (or the other brand equivalent) and moosh it up with warm water; these foods are pretty smooth too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Update...

Cody still not eating much, chesse that he was eating before he now turns his nose up at, he did crunch on some Charlie bears and licked a bit of peanut butter but didnt have much else, he's down another pound from the 1st.

I SWEAR that he and Buddy are reading the same play book!!! He won't touch the Velveeta now, nor the canned food. Hope Cody is better soon.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

:( Hope your best boy is better soonest!

Wouldn't hesitate to give him the pepcid -- won't hurt, could help.

Stuff he can just swallow: Yogurt, ice cream, scrambled eggs, spaghettios, overcooked pasta or rice in some broth, canned tuna (go easy - salty), canned dog food -- Pedigree and IAMS make some that are non-chunky; EVO regular is pretty smooth too but go easy on this one; moosh up with some warm water to make a thick soup. If he's having back-end digestive troubles, could get some canned I/D (or the other brand equivalent) and moosh it up with warm water; these foods are pretty smooth too.

Thanks, I just came back from the store with some IAMS and Nutro food. I also picked up some slided roast beef and rotisserie chicken. He ate a few pieces of roast beef that I broke up and a couple of small pieces of chicken. So he's hungry, I just gotta find what he'll eat. Tramadol is probably kicked in by now as well (gave it to him at noon).

I SWEAR that he and Buddy are reading the same play book!!! He won't touch the Velveeta now, nor the canned food. Hope Cody is better soon.

Hope your Buddy is well soon as well. I'll have to find your thread to catch up.

Edited by snowjay

With multiple swollen lymph nodes, unfortunately, the main possibilities are cancer (lymphoma) or systemic infection (TBD being most likely). Most of the time, the aspirate will give you an indication of which is more likely. If there is no obvious sign of cancer on the aspirate results, I'd definitely keep TBD high on the list of possibilities despite the earlier test results showing no signs of TBD. They can sometimes be difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose. When does your vet expect to have the aspirate results? Keeping my fingers crossed that it's an infection that can be easily treated. :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

i've had luck with cooking boneless/skinless chicken breasts in chicken boullion and then chopping them in the food processor (hey, make one or two for the family while you're at it ;) -- also braunsweiger (spelling is wrong i'm sure, but you get the idea)

With multiple swollen lymph nodes, unfortunately, the main possibilities are cancer (lymphoma) or systemic infection (TBD being most likely). Most of the time, the aspirate will give you an indication of which is more likely. If there is no obvious sign of cancer on the aspirate results, I'd definitely keep TBD high on the list of possibilities despite the earlier test results showing no signs of TBD. They can sometimes be difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose. When does your vet expect to have the aspirate results? Keeping my fingers crossed that it's an infection that can be easily treated. :hope

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping for to. The e-vet only did a 4dx snap on the 1st so if the results come back "clean" I'll ask my vet to send blood to protatek for a complete panel.

I should have results back in a couple of days.

i've had luck with cooking boneless/skinless chicken breasts in chicken boullion and then chopping them in the food processor (hey, make one or two for the family while you're at it ;) -- also braunsweiger (spelling is wrong i'm sure, but you get the idea)

He is liking the chicken and roast beef I picked up. I have to hand feed him but he's eating it. I put one spoonful of IAMS canned food in his bowl added some water and mixed it up, he ate that, so then I added a few more spoonfuls of food and water and then he wouldn't eat it. He is being finicky!

Jay, I'm just seeing this, and sending healing thoughts for Cody. Another easy food option that has worked for us is jarred baby food, chicken is a fave. Good luck!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I hope he feels better soon, and that you soon have a diagnosis/treatment plan.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

If you're wanting to up the calorie intake, when Emmy couldn't chew because of jaw pain, I put together her soaked kibble and some canned food in the blender with some ensure and blended it so she could just lap it up. I was able to get more calories in her that way.

Hope he's feeling better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

sending more good thoughts! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

He is liking the chicken and roast beef I picked up. I have to hand feed him but he's eating it. I put one spoonful of IAMS canned food in his bowl added some water and mixed it up, he ate that, so then I added a few more spoonfuls of food and water and then he wouldn't eat it. He is being finicky!

Sending lost more healing energy for Cody and hugs for Dad. ;):grouphug

Dylan would only eat Boarhead's roast beef at 9 bucks a pound. He thought the store brand sucked. ;):lol :lol And he loved WalMart rotisserie chicken too.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

costco chicken to the rescue! i hope all of this passes and answers are found shortly. i also heard that green tripe is one of the..."just can't be resisited" foods. but i'm not sure of how much can be fed at a time. i would slowly introduce boiled white rice cooked in chicken broth and water as well. make the rice soupy, like chinese congee.

Edited by cleptogrey

Still waiting for the test results, but now he's off the chicken, raw and tripe. Going to go to the store and pick up some more stuff that was suggested, but I don't think things are looking good for my bunky. :(

Oh no oh no oh no. Please eat, Cody!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.