Spent New Years Day At The E-Vet! Update #115 :(

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry, Jay :( :( spoil him as much as you can for as long as you can :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Jay, while this diagnosis sucks lymphoma can be treated--it's usually one of the easiest cancer to smack into remission. Did you have a biopsy done or just an aspirate? Please seek an oncologist--better yet, contact Osu and share with them all of the diagnostic results you have. Have you started pred yet?

Jay, while this diagnosis sucks lymphoma can be treated--it's usually one of the easiest cancer to smack into remission. Did you have a biopsy done or just an aspirate? Please seek an oncologist--better yet, contact Osu and share with them all of the diagnostic results you have. Have you started pred yet?

I don't understand it because several of the chemo protocols for lymphoma use prednisone, but I have read several different places that dogs on prednisone prior to starting chemo have a poorer prognosis. I read that prednisone can cause a multidrug resistance making chemotherapeutic drugs less effective. This is something I'm worrying about now with Beanie because my vet started her on prednisone a few days prior to starting her first chemo.

When I was going through vet school, it was recommended to never start pred before starting chemo. Pred is part of most chemo protocols, and it was always started at the same time, or slightly after the other drugs. However, it seems that the newer thinking is that pred for less than a week or two before starting chemo is ok, and it's only after the dog has been on pred longer that it tends to decrease the effectiveness of chemo.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm sorry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

When I was going through vet school, it was recommended to never start pred before starting chemo. Pred is part of most chemo protocols, and it was always started at the same time, or slightly after the other drugs. However, it seems that the newer thinking is that pred for less than a week or two before starting chemo is ok, and it's only after the dog has been on pred longer that it tends to decrease the effectiveness of chemo.

Thank you so much for that. This first month has been rough and I've been so worried that we had made a wrong step in her treatment. I feel a lot better now.

Beat me to it :-)

Edited cause apparently I can't even spell 4 words correctly!

Edited by tbhounds

Thanks to a close friend calling in a favor we were able to get an ultra-sound done tonight. It is widespread through is abdominal lymph nodes and looks like it has also affected the spleen. We'll see our regular vet on Monday and have a consult with an oncologist on Tuesday - we'll take it from there.

Guest OPointyDog

When our grey/shepherd mix had advanced cancer, we had good luck with mirtazapine stimulating her appetite and helping her feel well enough to eat. Might be worth asking about.

Sending good thoughts to both you and Cody. The good thing is that lymphoma tends to respond well to chemo, regardless of how widespread it is. The fact that he's sick and not eating is more of a concern. Hoping he starts eating better and hangs in there until his appointments next week. Have you started him on pred yet? If not, starting that might help him feel better and improve his appetite.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm so sorry. I lost my first girl to Lymphoma, the diagnosis was such a shock. I'm so sorry you are going through this with Cody. :grouphug :grouphug

GTSig.jpg

Shannon, mom to Shae, Jesse James and Linus the Chinese Cresteds,and bridge angels Sydney Sue and Stewart.

Sending good thoughts to both you and Cody. The good thing is that lymphoma tends to respond well to chemo, regardless of how widespread it is. The fact that he's sick and not eating is more of a concern. Hoping he starts eating better and hangs in there until his appointments next week. Have you started him on pred yet? If not, starting that might help him feel better and improve his appetite.

No pred yet. My vet mentioned it, but knowing it may affect some treatment protocols we didn't start. I'll talk to her tomorrow morning again to re-eval and get a game plan. The oncologist I have an appt with works with Dr. Couto so I'm confident the team I have amassed will do the best for my monkey, I just don't think any miracles are going to happen.

When our grey/shepherd mix had advanced cancer, we had good luck with mirtazapine stimulating her appetite and helping her feel well enough to eat. Might be worth asking about.

That has been a thought, although he seems to have an appetite (heck I caught him licking his empty bowl yesterday), he just stops eating certain foods as if he's associating them with his discomfort.

This morning he refused his roast beef laden tramadol, so I had to pill him the whole thing and he swallowed it. So I tried giving him some sliced turkey, he refused, I shoved it in his mouth, he chewed and swallowed. Then I offered him another piece and he took it and do so for several more before I had to cram one in his mouth to get him to start taking them again. Weird, but it worked and he got about 4 pieces of deli meat in him. I'll keep trying that method little by little over the day to see if I can get some substantial quantities in him. I've got some baby food, chicken livers and turkey meatballs to try as well. I can honestly say I've never had so much different food in my fridge and really none of it is for me. :lol

Guest BleuDog

All fingers, toes, legs, and ears that can be crossed...ARE.

Come on, Baby Cody.....the Prayers are surrounding You....