Pal " Pagliaccio " 9/04/98-10/02/12

FiveRoooooers

I’m not sure we think about our crossing off the years until we reach this point at the end of a life and start looking back. So many memories tucked into lives well lived and loved. Pal was my first greyhound, right off the track. He was perfect. No really, he was. And kind.
Palbrandnew-1.jpg
To Pal, everyone he met was his friend. After basic training with Martha Bailey at Smartydog and earning his Canine Good Citizen and Delta Pet Partner awards, for years he shared his intuition and love with his visits to several local nursing homes and hospitals. I remember clearly Martha saying “There is a huge amount of trust there.” :wub: He also earned CG’s 2005 desk calendar back cover. A boy who loved a sunbeam, the Olympics, his purple tag collar, to sit outside and watch his world …
Pal2-12-10scenicgreyts_036.jpg
Throughout his life, though, Pal’s love of stuffies was clearly his priority. He greeted our friends at the door, ran back to choose a stuffy, and then ran outside with it. It was a constant thing we had :lol There were outdoor stuffies and indoor stuffies but to Pal they were all simply HIS stuffies. He was rarely without one and without fail right to the end, Pal brought a stuffy to bed with him every night.
Aboyandhisheart-1.jpg
After our LadyBug died, our hearts were broken until she sent Seamus to help us heal. Of all the available greyhounds, I happened on a link for Seamus and there he was, Pal’s “brother.” P’s Raising Cain is Pal’s dad and Seamie’s maternal grandfather. I still call these boys “brothers” and they shared a bond that couldn’t be betrayed. Pal recently had a bad episode of serious “crabbing” (LS) that hindered his walk from the front yard to the back. I steadied him, we paused so he could rest, and as we reached the back yard along came Seamie who had followed us. He walked up parallel to Pal and stayed there, steadying his brother. Pal did his trademark nuzzle with the top of his head to Seamie's face and neck. Seamie looked at Pal and continued his support until Pal was ready to go into the house. Two brothers, seriously bonded. :beatheart
SunbeamBrothers-1.jpg
On Tuesday, my 14.1 y.o. young man was snuggled into the couch and I was on the floor with my arm around his neck. It was just before our doc arrived that Pal lifted his head and kissed my nose. “It’s ok, momma, I’m ready. Lub you.” :heart:brokenheart Sweet boy. Pal’s was one of the most peaceful passings I have had privilege to witness. He took with him his Grammie’s Jammies and two favoritest stuffies, his bear and his heart. He left me with so much, including his paw print (that little rat foot) tattooed on my arm. :paw
PalandhisMomma-1.jpg
Pal. Pagliaccio. Mai Lub. My Baby Boy. Mai Sweetest Won. My Young Man. The Sweetest Boy There Is. This summer in our remembory garden Pal’s daylily, Barbie Doll, bloomed so beautifully. Pal, my best friend, an old soul who, just by being his own (perfect) wonderful self, was responsible for Every Single Camper who arrived after him. Friends have said they will remember Pal as a warm, kind soul. Thank you sweet Pal, for blessing my life with almost 11 years together. I will try to always be the person you believed I was. :kiss2 Godspeed Baby Boy.
PalBurps2-1.jpg

I hear Pal singing this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA9QYFmtKNI&feature=youtube_gdata

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a special tribute for a very special and much loved hound. Jan, I'm so very sorry. Pal, run with the wind. Find LadyBug and Zeke-aroni.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Oh, Jan, how special Pal was, and how special your bond. I'm so very sorry it was time for him to leave you. :bighug

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

That is an especially beautiful tribute to your very special Pal, probably the bestest greyhound boy there ever could be! He had a long and fabulous life with you and as the Founder of Camp Greyhound, and for that we can all justly celebrate. But I'm so very, very sorry for your broken heart. :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

An amazingly beautiful tribute to your beloved Pal, Jan. Though we love them all there is always one who manages to take a huge piece of our hearts with them. Godspeed sweet Pal.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Jan it is never easy when we have to say goodbye - your boy was well loved and well taken care of and he will let all at the Bridge know and how much he loved you too.

Rainbows will be shared by all

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

My iPad screen became very blurry as I read and watched your lovely tribute to your beautiful boy.

Godspeed, Pal.

(P's Raising Cain is also the grandsire of my Heisman.)

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

What an incredible boy, and what incredible love you had for each other. Hugs to you in your sorrow.

Godspeed, Pal.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jan, this was a truly beautiful and touching tribute to your heart dog. Pal was unique, a one-of-a-kind gentleman who was the most charming soul in a greyhound's body. So much of the sweetness and love he gave to others was because of the very close bond you and he had developed right from the start. You two had an incredible journey together, one that can be looked back upon with many smiles and much laughter. May all those precious moments bring you great comfort now.

God speed Pal. I will always remember you with your pillow & bear tucked under your chin as you watched your world at Camp Greyhound.

:f_red

Edited by Fiona3

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

words cannot express how sorry I am for your loss of Pal, especially so close to Mimi :(:cry1:cry1 :cry1

he was so very loved, you could see by the look in his face how much he loved you back. :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Oh, Jan, what a first rate tribute for your gold medal boy. I am so very sorry that he had to leave, but I know you are celebrating his life, as well as mourning his passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

What a special bond you had with him. I'm so sorry you had to say good-bye. There's nothing like the love of a devoted friend.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Beautiful tribute Jan

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross