Lucky Girl

GreytHoundPoet

I have been putting this off. In fact, I have been pretty much avoiding it altogether. I found it was easier to be in denial. But, today Lucky Girl came back home and now I can't even pretend that she is just visiting my parents like she used to do. Many of you knew Lucky Girl. She went to the Rainbow Bridge last Friday due to advanced congestive heart failure.

So, what can I say about the greatest dog to ever live? Lucky Girl was something out-of-this-world special. She was the single most loved dog I have ever known. Every single person who met her fell in love instantly. Where most Dalmatians are bouncy and super energetic, she was serene and sweet. She never met a stranger: human or dog. Her patience knew no bounds. Puppies could bite and crawl on her, children could hug her a little too tight or tug on something they shouldn't, and people in wheelchairs or walkers could run into her and the only reaction they would get was her sitting and offering her paw. She was gentle and kind. However, she ruled the roost and the hounds never messed with her. She was the only one that could snuggle Lucius. He misses her greatly. The thing about Lucky Girl is that she loved everyone without fault. Sure, she could be a diva. She knew it was all about her. But when it really came down to it she just loved with all she had to give.

Over the past 2 weeks I have received hundreds of e-mails, messages, Facebook posts, texts, and phone calls about her. People who never met her are grieving with us. Her ability to touch lives extended far beyond her physical reach. Did you know that she has fans in South America? When a friend of ours went down there to teach he helped the children learn English by telling them stories about Lucky Girl. She has a dear friend all the way in Oregon who never met her but who sent her gifts from LG's "boyfriend", Gus. I know that they are grieving with us.

The first time I met her highness she was at a kill shelter. I had a client who worked at the shelter and she called me to tell me about a Dalmatian that had been dumped and was going to be euthanized simply because of her breed. So, despite Justin and I discussing how we were not going to go get her because the timing was not right, I went the next day to get her. The moment I met her I knew she had to come home. She rolled over on her back and gave me this "I'm pitiful now but someday you will worship me" sweet face and I completely fell head over heals. So, after the famous "how much do you love me" phone call to my husband, she came home with me and we spent a mini fortune spoiling her for the first of many times. Soon after she began having medical issues and we found out that my "2-year-old Dalmatian" was actually at minimum 7 (I knew she was older than they told me but I took her anyways). The reason she was at the shelter? The previous owners claimed she was aggressive. Yeah, right. She was as dangerous as a teddy bear and just as adorable.

One of my closest friends in the world is afraid of dogs. But Lucky Girl won her over immediately. That was LG's way. She's meet somebody, charm them, and add them to her fan club. She used to go to work with me at Petco (years ago when I worked there) everyday. She was the store mascot, essentially. She took part in every special event. She spent the day being pampered and worshipped. People would come in and ask for her. I will never forget the day that we were at Petsmart and a woman was brought to happy tears when LG approached her wheelchair and gently put her front paws on the woman's lap and allowed her to love on her.

She aged gracefully. She always looked young and beautiful, even near the end. A couple of days before we had to let her go I met a man and his children who insisted she didn't look a day over 7 or 8. She would have been 13 in November.

We have a painting on the wall of her next to an upside-down popcorn tin. People always ask about it. There is a funny story attached to that piece of art. Back when we first got the Greyhounds we used popcorn tins as raised feeders. Well, when we would leave the house we would always come home to a bowl on the floor and the same tin in random places. It liked to spend time on our bed under our covers, on the couch and papasan chair, and on the loveseat. We thought it was very odd. LG would often be found near the tin. One day we decided to pretend that we were leaving and sneak around the house to peek in the windows. We watched LG go and knock the bowls off the popcorn tin, pick it up by the rim, and carry it through the house. Silly girl!

She loved water. She would jump in any creek or lake. She would even splash around in big puddles. She loved going out in the field and splashing around. The creek and covered bridge was her favorite place in the world. For some reason she always wanted to try to jump off the edges of the bridge into the creek. We never let her, obviosuly. When we take her ashes to the creek we are going to sprinkle some over the places she always wanted to jump from. She'll finally get to leap into the creek from the bridge. We took her to the creek right before we took her to the vet. She was stinky, wet, and happy. She wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

She loved food. That dog should have ended up at the e-vet so many times. She would find ways to get into cupboards and the fridge. She would gorge herself and then hide the evidence under the bird cages. She would do anything for food. She loved Brusters Ice Cream doggie sundaes.

Most of all, she loved me. The sun rose and set with me in her eyes. She always wanted to be with me. If I moved, she moved. She was always by my side, under my feet, or cuddled up to me. Even when walking became kind of hard to do she would follow me from room to room, never letting me out of her sight. In pictures she was almost always looking at me. She was MY dog and she was devoted to me until the day she died. I held her face and kissed her and spoke to her as she was going to sleep for her final rest. She was content with me there by her side.

The whole in my heart is gaping. The emptiness in the house is staggering. Lucky Girl was a one-in-a-million dog and she will forever be missed. This tribute is long but honestly it is not long enough. Run free my beautiful Lucky Girl. I have no doubt that you are in Heaven eating steak while resting in a creek. We love you and miss you. We'll meet again someday.

297031_691994291186_5448210_n1.jpg

375894_869621784266_1842021355_n.jpg

164773_610064963216_6260548_n.jpg

183254_877982419486_697190881_n.jpg

DSC06914-1.jpg

DSC07832.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A perfect tribute for a perfect dog. We should all be so lucky to know a soul like hers at some point in our time on earth.

Run free, sweet girl. :heart

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

There's no way you could have resisted that face and a perfect :heart tongue. Your beautiful girl was appropriately named but I suspect you feel that it applies to you as well. Lucky Girls, so lucky to have found each other. I am so sorry now for your loss. :grouphug

Godspeed Lucky Girl. At the Bridge there is an endless supply of ice cream and steak and creeks. f_yellow

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh Shannon - I wish I could send you a hug! :grouphug

Such a nice tribute to Lucky Girl, she was a truly beautiful girl inside and out!

:f_pink :f_pink :f_pink

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Shannon, I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a wonderful girl she was and how lucky you both were to have each other.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh my :weep ...what a moving tribute and what poignant beautiful pictures. It wasn't long. You could tell by reading it that it was but a mere reflection of her beauty. I too have a special Dalmatian at the bridge named Lady who looks very much like LG and I have just told her to hunt LG up and welcome her. Now I sit here thinking how wonderful it will be to meet both of them again someday-to be able to touch them again-to smell their unique fragrance- oh my- more happiness than we can imagine. My heart is breaking for you. She was clearly meant to be yours forever and circumstances conspired so that you found each other-forever. No coincidences there. :grouphug

:f_pink :f_pink :f_red:f_pink :f_pink

I also have a special Dal angel at the Bridge. I lost her in 1999 at the age of 14 years and 10 months. I know how they can steal your heart and the tremendous capacity for love

their heart holds for their family. There are no words to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. She was, indeed, a lucky girl who was given a second chance for love.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Thank you for sharing Lucky Girl with us. When you were on GT more often, I always enjoyed her pictures and random stories. I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were both the lucky girls.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:cry1 What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful Lucky Girl! :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I am so very sorry for your loss. You have written a beautiful tribute to your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I always loved the photos of Lucky Girl. Your tribute to this very special girl is lovely and moving. We also had a Dalmatian, Chooch, who is at the bridge. He had those sweet, soulful eyes very like Lucky Girl, always filled with love when he looked at us. My heart goes out to you at your loss. May all those wonderful memories you have of this beautiful girl bring you smiles and comfort.

:f_pink

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so very sorry. Your tribute to your special girl is wonderful.

Godspeed Lucky Girl.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I am so sorry for your loss of LG...your tribte was so beautiful :weep

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.