Checking Your Boy's Private Parts

I know most of you know I've been dealing with several dogs and several issues. I'm usually really good at spotting when something is wrong with one of my dogs but I missed this one totally.

Sammie decided on Saturday morning to eat his breakfast a litter slower than usual. I thought it was unusual so I watched him closely and by dinner he was fine and ate his dinner with his usual gusto. He got up Sunday morning acting normal, ate both meals and seemed fine. He woke up Monday morning, ate his breakfast, play bowed to me and seemed fine. He was what I thought a little lazy that day, didn't want to play or anything. Come dinner time I couldn't get him off his bed. He wanted no part of his food and when I bent down to try and get him up to go potty I felt he was hot as fire. I got him up, started checking him over and when I got to his belly, I was looking for fluid like Bullitt had and saw that the area behind his penus was badly swollen. He was extremely tender and didn't want to walk.

We loaded him up right away and rushed him to the e-vet. He was running a fever of 104 and was in so much pain the e-vet couldn't even examine him. She needed to put him under to be able to ultrasound the area and take x-rays. We were told it would take about an hour and to go get something to eat or drink and come back, which we did. When we got back Sammie's temperature was rising so they wanted to keep him over night. He needed IV antibiotics and pain meds. The vet said she would call me as soon as she was finished working on him.

She called about 10:00 and told me that nothing showed up on the x-rays, everything seemed to be working normally and it looked like a massive infection of some king. She aspirated some fluid and made slides but the lab was closed so she would prep them for our vet. She also collected a clean urine sample in case our vet wanted to culture it. She had made him comfortable and they were watching him closely.

During the night Sammie's fever went to 105.7. They were giving him drugs, had a fan on him and were cooling him off. Sammie was extremely ill. Mike arrived at 6:30 in the morning to pick him up and take him to our vet. Our $400 estimate was replaced with a bill for $1,225.00! They had worked all night on Sammie.

Mike dropped him off at our vet where he stayed Tuesday and Wednesday. Sammie started bleeding under the skiin and was pretty bruised from the IV and the needles they used to aspirate the samples. He was started on Amicar for the bleeding and Baytril. He had IV antibiotics and pain killers to keep him comfortable. We brought him home last night because they could not get him to eat and he had not eaten since Monday morning. Our vet thought he would be better at home. He is still quite ill, on Baytril and Amicar. I am at this point able to get enough food in him to take his medications.

Why have I put this here, because it never occurred to me to check out my males private parts. I'm good at checking everything else, it just never occurred that they could get this serious of an infection in their private area. You can be sure I will be checkiing out all my boys on a regular basis from now on.

We have no idea what caused the infection. It could have been a small puncture or a small cut that I never noticed. He has to go back to the vet on Thursday when Bulliitt goes back for his blood draw to check his protein levels.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Holy moly, Judy. Really hope the antibiotics do their job and your boy is back to himself soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kirstenbergren

I'm sorry this had to happen to you and Sammie. But it's real good info for all of us with male dogs to check them everywhere.

I hope Sammie gets better real soon! :getwell

Male dog anatomy has something called the Bulbus Glandis just behind the penis, this is normal.

Your poor boy could have picked up a serious Urinary Tract Infection that backed up to the Bladder and Kidneys., or it could have been a general sepsis (blood poisoning). The cause has to be found and bloodwork and urinalysis will do this. Due to anatomy (position of and shortness of urethra) female dogs tend to get infections more easily than males. What if it was a spider bite or something? Can't do much more than second-guess until the lab results are back. I hope he gets better soon.

Guest cristaron

Good grief Judy, you guys sure have had a string of bad luck.

I hope things start turning the corner for you now and this is the

end of it.

Get well quick Sammie boy so your mom can quit worrying for a while.

I'm so sorry! BUt it is an excellent reminder!

I always check my boys over (and the girls too) when I do their nails. They're laying down and relaxed (usually) and I can look at all their feet and their underparts to make sure everything is OK. I keep an eye on their privates (girls and boys) and also their nipples (in case of mammary cancer). I check for lypomas or other issues, too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Poor Sammie! What an experience for all of you!

You've got to check the girl parts, too. Several years back Raven apparently got pyometra even though she's spayed, which was a complete surprise. According to the e-vet we saw the uterine stump can become infected, though it's very rare. The first sign that something was off was that she had unusual vaginal discharge. If it had been allowed to progress it would have become life-threatening.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest IrskasMom

Wowww Judy, I have to check my Boy out immediatly. Poor Sammie, how is he doing tonight ??? Hopefully he is doing much better tonight and home. Keep us Updated on his Condition PLEASE . Give him some gentle Hugs from me.

Poor Sammie...hope he's feeling better...you just can't catch a break lately :grouphug

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:ohno

Hope he recovers quickly and you find out exactly what it was.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Wowww Judy, I have to check my Boy out immediatly. Poor Sammie, how is he doing tonight ??? Hopefully he is doing much better tonight and home. Keep us Updated on his Condition PLEASE . Give him some gentle Hugs from me.

He finally ate a whole meal tonight, his first since Monday morning. He's lost some weight and is resting well. He willingly came for cookies tonight so he is slowly improving. Hopefully he will wake up hungry in the morning.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I hope he responds quickly to the combination of the antibiotics and the TLC he's getting at home. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Poor baby! Glad to hear he ate something, though. :)

I've always given a cursory glance to their private parts but started paying more attention when a foster of mine developed a sore looking sheath, right at the tip. That was a minor infection and I am glad we caught it when we did.

Poor Peyton has had to deal with me being all up in his junk lately since he had fleas and they LOVED his private parts (probably the heat). He was very good about me manhandling him. :blush