Bijou Is Now Into Hospice Mode

What I feared but knew was inevitable I now have to face.

I took Bijou to the vet because of mass weight loss and her hind end getting weaker and weaker. She weighed in at barely 40lbs, down from almost 60lbs 2 years ago. The vet gave her a good going over her temp was up a little and her breathing was a little labored. At almost 14, the vet and I discussed options for her. She is basically skin and internal organs.As he put it, you don't die because of age you die because your parts just wear out. And it looks like Bijou's parts have worn down. If she was 8 or 9 then mass bloodwork and all kinds of test would probably help but the vet feels that it would not help Bijou at this point in her life. She has increased urinating and drinking more water, has more weakness in her hind end, nothing but runny poo no matter what I have done to firm it up, and her energy level has gone to almost nothing.

We decided that best thing for her would be make her as comfortable as possible. I have Thursday and Friday off next week, so even though I don't want to let her go, it would be better for her to help her cross the bridge. I have some meds to keep her fairly pain free. She is going to get everything and anything she wants to eat between now and then.

I remember bringing her home 12 years ago. Her and my angel Isis were inseparable up to the day I had to let Isis cross the bridge. Now she will soon be joining her partner in crime in the sunshine over the bridge.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

{{{{{{{{{{Greg}}}}}}}}}}

Thinking of you and your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

Oh Greg, my heart is breaking for you reading your post. I have walked this path too many times, and it is never easy. In the end we do what is best for our beloved companions even if it tears us apart.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. :bighug

I am so very sorry. I went through that this summer. Even though Indy was quite elderly and I gave him the best I had, it was still the hardest thing I have ever done. You and Bijou are in my thoughts as you travel this road.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

It's awful when you have them waiting to go like that, yet in their final days we can cherish them and share some quality of life. The vet is always there as Plan B if they actually need to go sooner than anticipated.

:grouphug

Guest azlorenz

I'm so sorry Greg. It is so unfair that the life spans of our pups does not match up to ours. {{Hugs}} to you and the girls. We will be thinking of you all.

Greg, I'm so sorry. Try to remember that your girl is in the moment, tho, and she doesn't understand why you are sad. Smile for her so that she doesn't worry. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Adrianne

I'm very sorry. I have learned though, that there can be joy even in the final days, and sweet memories can be made. And though it's hard to bear the responsibility of making the decision to help our four legged loved ones to the Bridge, it's also a loving gift we give them to keep them from suffering.

:( I am so sorry you are facing this. Hugs to you and yours and exta smooches to Bijou. She is so lucky to have you.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Guest undergreysspell

I'm so sorry and send you hugs and strength to help you through this week. I went through it in Feb and 3 wks later I had my first grey. She's not the Daisy I had for 13 1/2 yrs, but every day we create more love and memories. It's so hard but all that is good is hard. Peace to your sweet baby.

Oh, Greg, I'm so sorry. That sweet little girl loves you and is happy to have given you -- and will still give you -- so many happy memories. Give her love and hugs from me and Olivia.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

:grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Greg, I'm so sorry to read this. Spoil that sweet little girl rotten and give her whatever she wants. I remember when you posted last year thinking the time had come, and then she bounced back. I'm so glad that you got that extra time with her.
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life