Twister, 8/15/96 - 7/21/11; Just Couldn't Write This A Year Ago

joejoesmom

I lost my Twister to kidney failure and lymphoma, 1 year ago today. I just couldn't write this then.

Twister, aka Twistmas or Twistie, was my first dog as an adult.

My job for the first 15 years of my career wasn't conducive to having a dog. Then I got sick and had to give up my dream job. But this gave me an opportunity to finally get a dog. A good friend who was a vet tech helped me narrow down my choices. I knew that the dogs of my childhood would not be suitable for me as the illness causes extreme fatigue and pain. I couldn't deal with the energy of a Brittany, a Setter, or even a Labrador. I had finally decided on a greyhound. Then the call came from my friend, "Would I consider a whippet mix?" She had a friend who did whippet rescue who 5 months earlier had rescued a pregnant whippet from the pound. She had placed all of the pups, but one was returned at 4 months old. Based on the looks of the pups, she thought Dad was probably a black Labrador.

So I went to see the pup. I wasn't sure at first -- this was a big step for me. The rescue lady said that I could always bring her back if it didn't work out. So instead of a fully grown greyhound, I came home with an 18 pound "whipador" puppy.

We got home, I didn't have a fence yet so I walked her on the leash around the house. We had just rounded the corner when the Airedale from next door came bounding up to meet my new companion. Well the puppy took one look at the big Airedale and turned around and ran to me and leapt into my arms. It was that instant that I bonded. I knew from right then that she was never leaving me.

This began an absolutely wonderful 14 1/2 years together. She was everything to me.

Early on, she loved to do zoomies in tight little circles in my woods. She would kick up leaves like a tornado. This was how she came to be named Twister. She adopted me in December, which inspired the nickname Twistmas.

She saw me through the depression of losing my dream job and of dealing with a chronic illness. She forced me to make play dates for her, thus getting me out of the house to socialize. She calmed me when I needed it. She made me get up every morning. She would give me ever so gentle Twistmas kisses. She would make me laugh with her antics. She loved to sleep with me. In the winter, she would stand her 40 pound body across my pillow until I would lift up the covers so she could burrow underneath. Then she would stick just the tip of her nose out from under the covers.

She would give me hugs on command. She liked to walk between my legs and stop so I could "scratch her butt -- you know that sweet spot just above the tail". She would then start dancing, sometimes lifting both rear legs off the floor at the same time.

Twistmas was incredibly smart. She knew to ring the bell to go out. She knew the names of her different toys. When her littermate sister came to live with us when they were almost 3 years old, Twistmas ruled the roost. She knew what was important to Shelby. So if Shelby had something she wanted, she would parade Shelby's favorite toy or treat in front of her. Shelby would then go to take it from Twister and then Twister got what Shelby dropped -- exactly the way Twister planned. Shelby never did figure this out.

Twister was an amazing hunter. She caught mice, shrews, voles, moles, chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, possums, and woodchucks. She even leapt and caught a turkey while it was flying a few feet from the ground. She soon figured out that if she let me have it, it would disappear, never to be seen again. Thus began our many years of playing keep away. She would catch it and then dig a hole to bury it. If I got close, she would take it and run further away. I soon figured out that if I let her bury it, I could go back later and dig it up. Well she figured this out too. So she would bury it, wait for me to turn my back, dig it up and bury it somewhere else. Somehow she always knew if I figured out the burial site. I can't tell you how many times I tried to find her "treasures" only to dig up an empty burial site.

Although Twister was smart, she never used this to get into trouble. She was the most naturally well behaved dog I have ever known. My neighbor would always tell me that Twister was the best dog ever. And she was right.

I loved my little Twistie girl more than I can express. She was my constant companion for over 14 years. She understood me better than most of my friends do. She was a better friend than I ever deserved and loved me unconditionally. I will never forget her and will never stop loving her.

OK, so now I am crying again. If you have made it this far, thank you so much for reading about my wonderful little girl:

Twister0204_08.jpg

Jane

Jane,

She just sounds wonderful. I'm so sorry you've lost her.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest OPointyDog

She sounds like the perfect dog - it's wonderful you have so many good memories to hang onto. The loss is so hard, though, I know. You never stop missing them.

Jane, I am so sorry. She was lovely and truly lucky you became her mom.

sending many hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Jane, thank you for sharing your loving tribute to such a special soul. I'm sure Twister is smiling down on you from the Bridge, happy that you're her momma. :beatheart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest patterpaws

I feel so sad that you lost your Twister. What a wonderful hound, and a wonderful relationship you had with her. It is an honor to read about your love for her, my deepest condolences for your loss. If there is a heaven, I know she is there waiting for you.

:f_white:f_pink:f_white

What a wonderful tribute to your baby. She sounds like a wonderful dog.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What a beautiful girl, and such a moving tribute to your friend. I'm so sorry for your heartbreak :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you so much for sharing your love of Twister with us!

I'm so sorry for your loss, even a year later, it's not easy. She was very special. You were so fortunate to have her share her life with you. :grouphug

Edited by FountainLady

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

What a lovely tribute to Twister...no wonder you still miss her.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

You lost a beautiful heart dog, and losing her to kidney disease and lymphoma would have been a devastating process.

Isn't it wonderful, though, how such a lovely tribute can come thru a year later undimmed and full of compassion and appreciation for the times you shared. It brings a tear to my eyes too, but I know tears belong to the ongoing natural healing process we call grieving. :bighug

What a special girl she was. I understand why it has taken so long to be able to write about her. I'm so very sorry.

Godspeed Twister.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

{{{{{{{{{{Jane}}}}}}}}}}

Run with the wind, lovely girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jane, that was beautiful just like Twister was. She will always be in your heart and yes, she was one in a million.

Run free Twister, run free sweetie...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest budsmom

From the mom of another very special Twister, my deepest condolences. Your little girl was beautiful and obviously a very special friend.

f_yellow