Help... Have Boarder That Won't Eat!

Guest tricolorhounds

Guest tricolorhounds

We have a boarder that it giving me fits!

She is 13+ years old, very frail, probably 45# soaking wet, can't afford to lose an ounce. Years ago her 2 front legs were broken, bones were fused... and is fairly weak in the back end.

She's been with us since the 29th. So far we've tried.

1. The kibble and canned food she eats at home. After a day she decided she didn't want it anymore.

-- eats Costco dog cookies.

2. Tried adding rotisserie chicken to the kibble and canned. She like it for a day then wouldn't touch it again

3. Boiled down more rotisserie chicken, added just chicken and the broth to kibble, ate for a day then no way

4. Family said as a treat they give canned salmon and rice. I cooked up some rice, added salmon and offered it to her. She thought I was trying to poison her... wouldn't even taste it.

-- still eating Costco dog cookies.

5. Made scrambled eggs. After a few sniffs, she gave in and ate them.

6. Made scrambled eggs for breakfast the next morning... no way, no how was she going to even consider eating them.

-- more Costco dog cookies.

7. Got her to eat some of Bonkers' boiled hamburger for dinner on Tuesday.

-- followed by more Costco dog cookies.

8. Offered more boiled hamburger for breakfast... not a chance.

-- a couple more Costco dog cookies.

9. Yesterday offered her some Merrick canned dog... yuck.

-- but you guessed it, she'll eat 2-3 Costco dog cookies after refusing to eat real food.

I've tried lunch meat, chicken and beef. Pizza. Chicken tenders... oh and I tried giving her some of our Costco dog food but she wouldn't touch it.

The only thing she really eats are the Costco dog cookies. I'd really like to get something nutritious in her... Does anyone have any suggestions.

She's going to be with us for 3 more days.

When Maddie decides to hunger strike - I give her unsweetened Applesauce (no sugar added) on her dry dog food, she will eat that, tuna fish and her dry cookies as well as some of the items you have already tried, and peanut butter.

Hope this helps.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest tammara

I know some people have good results with feeding ensure, but I've never had a dog take it. When Bear was sick the only thing he would take was baby food (if you try that check the label to ensure it has no onion content). Good luck.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I am almost positive my super senior wouldn't eat a thing if I left him anywhere. I wouldn't even know what to tell someone to do with him. I will be watching this thread for ideas!

Shaky cheese? (Parmesan in a container) Here's a http://www.dogaware.com/articles/wdjinappetence.html list of things to try (scroll down to the bottom). Poor little sweetie - good luck!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Canned puppy food

Cottage cheese

Peanut butter

Cream cheese

Ensure

All of these have helped with my seniors when their appetites "go picky".

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest tricolorhounds

Thanks for the suggestions, I hadn't thought of applesauce, I have some so I'll give it a try. We also have shakey cheese because it's Savannah's favorite.

Sometimes--just sometimes--warming stuff up in the microwave helps.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I've had good luck with Merrick Canned - Grammies Pot Pie. I haven't found a dog yet who won't eat it. We keep a couple of cans on hand for emergencies.

It's gotten many girls eating again that went on hunger strikes after their spays.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Nutritional Yeast, it's full of B vitamins which stimulate the appetite. It worked for my Emmy when she wouldn't eat anything.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

With Ivy we resorted to cooking ground beef with egg noodles for her, also added some nutritional yeast. What really got her going though was the vet gave her a steroid injection and said that it also works as an appetite stimulant. It was the push she needed to continue eating. Good luck with her.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

You know I didn't know this about NY, though I have used it before for other reasons. I use it as a cheese sub when I eat Vegan. I will go get some and give it to my oldies!

Nutritional Yeast, it's full of B vitamins which stimulate the appetite. It worked for my Emmy when she wouldn't eat anything.

Boiled or roast beef, ground buffalo, ground turkey. Wellness no grain canned food or EVO canned. Warm it up in the microwave a tad. If she would eat 2 cans of EVO a day with the cookies she'd probably be ok. Honest Kitchen (some stores have the $3 box samples)

Hawaiian sweet rolls, lorna doone cookies, all beef hot dogs, tuna in oil mixed with kibble. Can you go to the food store & get samples? Usually Saturdays are good for samples at Petco (not sure about the others). Offer her something different every time :)

I have also had to boil chicken or turkey, then fry it in butter and hand feed. Peanut butter, ritz crackers

How long do you have her?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Canned green tripe.

We've had good sucess with the canned tripe.

Or try some canned puppy food.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Tripe, tuna, and ... dare I say it? ... Costco cookies. If that's what she wants to eat, I'd give them to her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tricolorhounds

Thanks for the suggestions everyone... stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home from work this morning and got a few things. The baby food beef was a big hit. Will try the chicken one later. Got some sardines, if she won't eat them, my kids will. Got Greek yogurt with honey, she ate a few spoonfuls before we shared with the rest of the herd... think I'm going to have to eat the other 3.

Lynnet

Since she likes the Costco cookies so much, could you grind them up in your food processor or blender and sprinkle them over or mix them with other food that you want her to eat?

I feel your pain. I went through this recently with a boarder who turned out to be really sick (vomiting and diarrhea). If you can find my thread in H&M you'll get some suggestions there. Slightly different scenario because she was actually sick, but I decided she was at the point where she hadn't eaten for so long the only she was going to was if I got some food into her with syringe feeding. Thanks to a GTer or two who suggested it, I picked up some canned A/D from the vet, mixed that with a little water and syringe fed it. Two feedings and she started to show interest, I think it was after the third that she ate some A/D on her own. At first that was all she'd eat, then I was able to mix it with chicken. I tried everything else I could think of, that A/D saved us.

So picking up some of that and mixing it with some crushed up Costco dog cookies and maybe some tuna or salmon might make a good meal. Good luck!

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

she is eating, not a lot- not what you consider dog food...COSTCO COOKIES are her thing. if you remember kibble was originally chunks of biscuit- thus call kennel biscuit. i would let her have her cookies, not the best nutrition- but she's old and away from home. maybe some saute`thin slices of beef in garlic and olive oil- you want it to taste yummie...or you can saute it in soy/garlic and oil- keep the meat pretty bloody- yummmm. save the receipts for the steaks- i had one boarder, also an older dog, her owner was glad to pay for the meat- SHE ATE...that's what counts. if the mac and cheese works as well, mac and cheese, steak and biskets ain't so bad. i also had great success w/ trader joe's canned dog food- the dog ate and got some liquids in- that's what counts.

stay away from organ meat - too rich-and the finikey ones seem to snub ground meats.

Edited by cleptogrey