Help... Have Boarder That Won't Eat!

Guest tricolorhounds

i would make up some Fat Balls

raw hamburger, raw egg, molases, cereal, gelatin, oil, and more, i just can't think now everything that goes in there.....

and push small sized meat balls down her throat. easily digestible, shouldn't cause stomach upset (or colon) and nutritious.

my seniors LIVED on fat balls when they were on their hunger strikes.

just push down, they swallow..

good luck!

:)

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Along with many other good suggestions, I second NeylasMom re: Hill's A/D critical care canned food from a vet. Also, grinding her favorite Costco cookies into food; might help to leave some larger chunks to help entice her.

Off the wall suggestions (as someone who lost a dog during an absence):

Is there any chance someone can take her back to her own home to care for her until her parent/s return, or at least retrieve a worn clothing article or blanket with parent's strong scent. (The latter may help, even if she was originally left at your house with her own bedding.)

Not sure if this would help, but maybe hearing her parent's voice on speaker phone verbally urging her to eat(?).

I know you already bought meat baby food. Just a reminder for other readers to avoid baby food with any onion or garlic spices added. A safe "meat only" baby food for dogs and cats is Gerber, Stage 2 (blue label).

Guest tricolorhounds

Along with many other good suggestions, I second NeylasMom re: Hill's A/D critical care canned food from a vet. Also, grinding her favorite Costco cookies into food; might help to leave some larger chunks to help entice her.

Off the wall suggestions (as someone who lost a dog during an absence):

Is there any chance someone can take her back to her own home to care for her until her parent/s return, or at least retrieve a worn clothing article or blanket with parent's strong scent. (The latter may help, even if she was originally left at your house with her own bedding.)

Not sure if this would help, but maybe hearing her parent's voice on speaker phone verbally urging her to eat(?).

I know you already bought meat baby food. Just a reminder for other readers to avoid baby food with any onion or garlic spices added. A safe "meat only" baby food for dogs and cats is Gerber, Stage 2 (blue label).

Unfortunately we can't take her back home. Her "brother" is with us too. He was not too interested in his meals when he first arrived but he probably weighs 90+ pounds and could stand to miss a few meals :P She is doing well despite the food strike. I really don't think this is illness related, I just think she is being stubborn but I was just sick worrying about her. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, we're taking it one meal at a time and have backups at the ready.

Guest WhiteWave

Can you crush a dog biscuit and put over her food? Since she seems so willing to eat them.

My old guy got picky at the end and didn't have any spare weight either. His favorite was homemade mac and cheese w/ lots of cheese! He also loved canned tripe. I also baked chicken and ran it thru the blender w/ some boiled chicken livers to make a pate. He would eat that mixed over his kibble sometimes.

Guest Mom2Comet

Ugh - Nup had a dental, rabies and bordatella on Thursday and has been picky about eating ever since. She, too, is eating Costco dog biscuits. BilJac for a day ..now she won't touch it. I gave her two chicken fingers (breaded chicken tenders - I know, not that good) and she wolfed them down. Then we tried the cut up chicken breast and she wanted nothing to do with it. We gave her a WHOLE chicken breast and she ate it! She wants the food in it's whole form apparently. It's very frustrating!

Luckily she's still peeing, pooping and acting normal.

Best of luck to you!