Please Pray For Crystal

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just awful. It definitely sounds like she is happier at home and enjoying the pool.

The fortunate thing is that since she has to go through this, she has you in her corner, supporting her, caring for her and loving her.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest alannamac

I am so sorry......but she is lucky to have found you and to have had a wonderful 2 weeks with you and gotten to run like crazy at GIG before things got bad........maybe she knew this was coming....

It is terribly hard on you, but wonderful for her that you are there with such compassion and caring to help her pass when it is time. :grouphug :grouphug

Mary Pat,

I am so heartbroken for you. But I am happy that Crystal now has a home where she is adored as she should be. I am just so sorry that you didn't find each other years ago.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

I'm so very sorry. It's good that she's home, and that home is where she wants to be. Still hoping for a miracle.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

9 PM update

I finally forced her out of the pool. She was having trouble with her hind end, the water was too cold for her hips. I put her on the sofa and she eventually fell asleep. She still refused to eat, even Ensure and treats.

However a few minutes ago when the rest of the gang got their ice cream she perked up. She almost finished her bottle of ensure. She then got up and has been the brightest I've seen her all day. She's taking treats, but still turning her nose up at dog food. She is outside and trotting around a little. (she needs to trot to do her business)

So, she is starting to feel a little better. I hope the bleeding stops and she can have a little more quality time.

Next step....let's see if she'll get her appetite back.

Thanks for all the prayers and positive thoughts.

Dr. Couto didn't have anything for me. I know the oncologist at VSEC put a call into him but I also know he left for a lecture until Sunday. Hopefully he'll contact the oncologist next week and Crystal is still with us.

MP- might want to contact Jason (twoskinnydogs)- his Toby had/has hemangiosarcoma- it started in a limb. Dr Couto designed a chemo protocol that he did really well with (well, until now). Not sure if that's something you may want to pursue but, I thought I would throw that out to ya.

Dr Couto is in Fl lecturing at the VMA conference but, I'm sure he'll check in. Fingers crossed he'll be able to help.

As hard as all of this is to grasp I truly believe she was meant to be with you at this time.

She has hemangiosarcoma of the body wall. I actually wish it was the spleen then we could do surgery. The only option they gave me was to treat her with herbs to control the bleeding. The initial bleed which occurred last night after dinner has stopped, but it will happen again. She is currently stablized and walking. The doctors are going to contact Dr. Couto for a consult.

They'll get back to me with any kind of options, but it didn't sound like there were any.

I'll probably have her just a day or so longer and that's it.

To add insult to injury, for a dog that I've had less than two weeks, the bill is going to be over $2000.

Oh no! I read through this thread hoping it wasn't hemangio because the symptoms sounded way too familiar to me (I've lost two to hemagiosarcoma). So unfair all the way around. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest jettcricket

She's home. As soon as they brought her into the room to visit with me I knew she wanted to come home. Her tummy looks terrible but it's not as painful to her when I touch it. HOwever I know she feels terrible. She's in her doggie pool. Been there for at least an hour. Each time I take her out and dry her off and shuffle her inside, she goes back out into the pool. So,if that's where she wants to be, she can stay there.

Also yesterday before all this happened, if there was food within 50 miles she found it. She's turning her nose up at everything. Not even cookies.

I don't know if this means she's already near the end or just feeling crappy right now and will bounce back. All I can do is watch her. Luckily one of my vets comes to the house. She'll go to the Bridge from her home if we can make the timing work.

I'm utterly devastated.

I'm so sorry for what you and your beautiful girl are going thru....:(

My boy got the same diagnosis at the age of 11 although he had liver & spleen involvement. I had a whole year with him and carried Amicar with me every where I went. It got to the point where I thought they had misdiagnosed him as he continued to do well without any intervention. He lived until 2 days past his 12th birthday without any visible signs of pain or stress. I hope you get more time with your girl.

After losing a greyhound quickly to hemangio, my weimaraner was diagnosed (tumors in spleen, one lung, and heart) and given a couple of weeks to live. Out of desperation I put her on a raw diet, herbs and supplements to support her immune system. She actually thrived without further symptoms for 11 months when she started to show signs of congestive heart failure due to the tumor in her heart. Sending prayers for Crystal and for you that you both have more time together.

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

How is Crystal feeling this morning? Hope you both got some rest.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Mixed reviews this morning. She ate a full breakfast and is showing interest in food. She's much brighter.

But...she can't settle down. She's been pacing for several hours now and her back end is giving out.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

Our boy had two bleeds. After the first one stopped, the body absorbed what was in the stomach and he felt so much better. He was his old self until the second bleed occurred so you may find she does perk up a bit and start to act like her normal self.

Praying you have a lot more time with your sweet baby.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Mixed reviews this morning. She ate a full breakfast and is showing interest in food. She's much brighter.

But...she can't settle down. She's been pacing for several hours now and her back end is giving out.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

:(:grouphug

Still sending all the good thoughts we can muster.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I am so sorry to see that Crystal is having this difficulty. Crystal is in exactly the place she should be now where she is receiving the best of care and a very loving home. I hope you will get some good suggestions from Dr. Couto for her treatment. May you have many more days with your beautiful girl. Sending lots of good thoughts.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

sending Crystal many, many prayers :(:hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest bethac

Mary Pat - I am so very sad about Crystal. Sending prayers and huge hugs your way. I know you will treasure every moment with this girl ... hoping for a few more good days for both of you. :hope:hope

:grouphug

Edited by bethac