Jake Could Use Your Good Thoughts

His leg is more swollen and while it looks worse, this is exactly the same pattern I've seen in him previously. The trick will be to avoid cellulitis like he had a year and a half ago from a very similar injury.

What were your vet's thoughts about the unidentified TBD that he had? Was the possibility of Bartonella considered? What about going ahead and starting some antibiotics to try to avoid the cellulitis?

Can't say I've ever heard of past TBD causing a heightened response to injuries. The swelling you describe makes me wonder if there's still some chronic, ongoing infectious/inflammatory process that occasionally flares up.

Sending good thoughts for your boy!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennifer, Jake had two years of unexplained rotating leg swelling, sometimes with fever sometimes not. He had been tick tested both PCR and titre when he became a blood donor so we really didn't see it being a TBD. We did 2 o3 rounds of antibiotics when he had the swelling with fever. On Dr Couto's advice we did a round of tests including a joint tap, fully expecing to see something like immune mediated poly arthritis. Tests were neg, and the episodes were getting so close together that the last 2 were a week apart. Both back legs hot and swollen, our vet sat on the floor with us and said she was stumped. We did a round of doxy as a sort of hail Mary, and it worked! I saw Jake as I hadn't in a year or two, energetic able to get up on the furniture, it was great. Since TBD is rare where we are, the vets here were astounded at the dose I gave them for the doxy. Our vet, who at the time was an associate at the clinic, was told she couldn't give such a high dose. We did give one much higher than the recommended here and only for 4 weeks. He then had a relapse. He fell down 3 steps and within 2 hours his back leg swelled up and he spiked a fever of 103.6. Back on the doxy he went and this time at the full dose recommended for greys with TBD and for 8 full weeks. He hasn't had an episode since then, but.... I'm wondering. Because seriously how bad should his response be to what was most likely a slip on the floor? He doesn't do stairs and most of the floor is carpeted.

His temp is up slightly again this am, 102.38 usually he's around 101.5. I have an email in to Miki to ask her about doing another round of doxy. I have some in the house that was Peanut's so I could start him right away. Hopefully I'll hear back later today, poor Miki is dealing with a very sick dog of her own. Her baby had a liver biopsy on Thursday, so please think good thoughts for Blink.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Heard back from Miki. Started Jake on doxycyclin 20 min ago. Pray this helps and we can turn this around asap.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Gosh Janet, I hope it works! Keeping Jake in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Jennifer, Jake had two years of unexplained rotating leg swelling, sometimes with fever sometimes not. He had been tick tested both PCR and titre when he became a blood donor so we really didn't see it being a TBD.

Glad you got Jake back on the doxy. Hopefully it works just as well this time.

Negative titers and PCR do not completely rule out TBD. You might also want to check the specific panel, as many of the older panels didn't include Bartonella. A couple years ago, my girl Willow got sick and we were very suspicious of Bartonella, but were never able to confirm it despite running PCR as well as titers several times. According to Dr. Breitschwerdt, one of the TBD experts at NC State, this is not unusual with bartonellosis, which can be very difficult to diagnose. Here's a post in previous thread where I wrote more about Willow's illness.

The Bartonella bacteria is thought to 'hide out' in the cells lining blood vessels (endothelial cells), so I suppose theoretically, injuries might trigger a relapse, although I've never heard this mentioned in the literature. If you're still not seeing significant improvement in the next week, I'd consider adding a stronger antibiotic (ie. Baytril) to use along with the doxy. Have you consulted with Dr. Couto again regarding his more recent episodes? Might also ask your vet to try contacting Dr. Breitschwerdt at NC State.

Edited by jjng

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Taking a cautious sigh of relief. Someone woke me at 4:00 to go out. He then hauled himself to his feet and walked outside with some help. This morning, ha ha 2 1/2 hours later he got up again by himself. I had to get the door open so the other 2 were out of his way and by the time I got the mat over the door frame, he was almost at the door. He only needed my help over the door frame and down the 2 steps.

He's eating 3 smaller meals and I'm giving Pepcid 2 hours before the Doxy.

Keep the good thoughts coming please!

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Glad there's finally some good news. I hope he continues to recover. Quickly.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

continued good thoughts for Jake and for you...

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

Jake is still doing well. He is now staying upright a lot instead of laying flat on his side like he did all weekend. Plus he's bed hopping. :D

Keep the good thoughts coming. We so appreciate them.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

:yay Jake!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Jake had his first poop outside since .......ummm ....... Wednesday afternoon :blink::yay

Initially, if you remember, he had difficulty with his back end and we weren't sure if it was neurological. Every now and then due to his LS we get a small poop on his bed, but only rarely and we've dealt with that for a long while now. So this past few days wasn't too much different. Since her really couldn't get up on his own, and once up didn't have the leg strength to hold himself up in "the position" we decided not to worry about it. Today when I got home from work he went outside and did his bizness! Good thing too, as it was a bit soft.

Jake's leg is quite swollen top to bottom today. I think this is due to gravity, if I remember correctly in past episodes it took almost 2 weeks for the swelling to subside. He's getting quite a cocktail of meds - Gabapenten, Meloxicam, Tramadol, Pepcid and Doxycyclin. We've had to buy a new pill container and make a chart to keep it all straight but so far it's working!

Thank you so much for your good thoughts and prayers, I appreciate it more than you can know. I'll try to get some pictures of Jake tomorrow standing! B)

Summer-3bjpg.jpg