Jake Could Use Your Good Thoughts

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish he was feeling better :(

He had a good night, and woke me up at 4:50 to go out. Getting up is really hard for him, I hate having to haul him up and then he tries to go back to bed so I have to fight him forward. Once we get going, he can slowly walk out. He isn't falling when he pees, so while his back end is weak it can support him. He is eating well, drinking and looking for treats and loving. :D

His leg and likely his chest is really painful though. When I go to look at it, he licks his lips, yawns and looks away - cleary telling me to go the hell away.

I looked back through a facebook conversation with Miki our vet, after his fall on Dec 31st it took 14 days before the swelling in the same leg went down. I am pretty sure this is going to take a long time too. Only this time he can't get himself up without major help.

It makes me really sad, and conflicted to see him like this. I hope I'm doing the right thing waiting this out.......I think I am, but......... :(

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Just some hugs for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks everyone. We had to go out for a couple of hours. During that time Jake half removed his bandage and moved from one dog bed to another. He did id a nice neat poop on the floor next to the bed too, woops! :rolleyes: But, he wasn't stranded and looked pretty pleased with himself.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

In every cloud, there's a silver lining. Hugs to you and Jake. Prayers for slow and steady improvements.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

His temp is up a bit 39.2 C or 102.56 F Plus his upper leg from under his armpit to elbow is quite swollen and warm. There is swelling as you go down the leg, but only a bit more than on Thursday.

As usual quite puzzling. Why can't my dogs be straight forward?

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

I would ice the area for about 5 minutes at a time every 30 minutes or so and see if that helps at all.

Poor Jake with his mystery issues :(

Have you tried acupuncture or cold laser therapy before?

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Maybe your vet needs to rethink that treatment plan?

Mary I sent her an email. I'll likely hear back soon. She had just sent me one saying to up his tramadol when I went to send her an update.

I would ice the area for about 5 minutes at a time every 30 minutes or so and see if that helps at all.

Poor Jake with his mystery issues :(

Have you tried acupuncture or cold laser therapy before?

I've been icing it off and on.

No to either of those, yet. Honestly this is following the same weird progression (with slight variations for fun ) as previous injuries. We just never know what he'll throw at us next.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Yay for the Tramadol, Janet. Earlier it sounded like just rest, no meds! Still holding you and Jake in our thoughts.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Yay for the Tramadol, Janet. Earlier it sounded like just rest, no meds! Still holding you and Jake in our thoughts.

Oh no, he's got meds. ;) Tramadol, Meloxicam, Gabapentin plus Anti Flam and I'm putting Traumeel gel on his leg.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

I hope that if nothing else, that time and rest will help him out...bless his heart :heart

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Oh Janet, :( we're sending our best wishes to Jake. I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Debbie

:bighug

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

Sending prayers for sweet Jake. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

:goodluck

I hope Jake starts feeling better soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

:goodluck

I hope Jake starts feeling better soon.

:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Well, the bigger dose of tramadol is allowing us to stay ahead of the pain. He changed beds on his own, ate all his dinner and went out with only a bit of fuss at dinner time. Just now he asked to go out and made a stop at the water bowl first. He tried to turn back around but when I said "outside Jake" he moved towards the door. He has stopped fighting the help I'm providing going down the deck steps. I pretty much lift and lower as he provides forward motion. The same going back up. :yay

His leg is more swollen and while it looks worse, this is exactly the same pattern I've seen in him previously. The trick will be to avoid cellulitis like he had a year and a half ago from a very similar injury.

One of the things we've found is that ever since he was treated for TBD he has had a crazy heightened response to injuries. Especially strains and sprains.

I'm pretty confident after watching him walk in the yard tonight that once he heals from this injury he should be okay. He was able to stand, bend his knees to pee then straighten up and walk a couple of steps. Then he turned and walked toward the steps - all unassisted.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg