Get Em Had His Surgery Yesterday

Guest goofydog

Guest goofydog

Last Friday I had an appointment to talk with the vet about removing his ruptured salivary gland. Thursday night I noticed a lump on his right shoulder that appeared from nowhere, now I had 2 things to discuss with Dr. Bradley :( After palpating the lump she said it really needed to be removed and both procedures could be done at the same time, so we scheduled for yesterday. I dropped him off on the way to work(7AM) and got the call at 11:30 that he was out of surgery and slowly waking up and to call around 3PM to see what time I could pick him up. When I called I was told any time after 4PM.

Turns out there were 2 sacs of fluid under his jaw and she was able to totally remove one of them and partially remove the main one. The ruptured gland was embedded too close to major arteries and nerves for her to be able to get it out so he will forever have his Winston Churchill pouch to varying extents. We have the option to drain it every few months if it gets too large or appears to be causing him discomfort. Doing this also gives the opportunity to evaluate the fluid and monitor for any changes. She did send the tissue for pathology.

The lump is a whole other matter. She didn't tell me on Friday how concerned she was with its presentation since it mimicked another dog, nongrey, that presented with a similar lump who is now battling a very nasty CA that has spread :cry1 Get Em's lump was a bit squishy with 3-4 hard nodules in it. When exposed it was anchored in the muscle and she had to excize a portion of said muscle to get what she feels are clean margins. This was also sent to UGA for histiopathology. Now we wait 10-14 days for results

When he came out from the back he was panting heavily and weaving like a drunken sailor on leave (no offense to sailors, I'm from a Navy family)! It took several hours for the panting to resolve. He hadn't had a bad reaction to anesthesia in the past (toe amp and eye removal) and I'm wondering if it was because this was the longest he had been under.

Anywho, we were up and down most of the night and he consumed 2 large bowls of water, not voiding any of it until this morning. He wasn't interested in any food item presented so by this morning he had been 36 hours without caloric intake. He did eat softened kibble this morning and evening, along with roasted turkey to hide his pain meds and abx. He's still acting a bit off but much more interested in his surroundings and interacting with me, the keeper of all treats :rolleyes: His chin incision doesn't apear to bother him, however the shoulder is very sore and he doesn't like putting much weight on it, frankly I can't blame him since there was muscle removed.

Apologies for the long post and thanks to those who stuck it out and read the entire thing. Gentle thoughts, prayers and chants of B9-B9-B9 will be greatly appreciated. I lalso want to thank Rickiesmom and Kudzu for being my sounding boards throughout this ordeal. You ladies ROCK!

aaawwwwwww, I didn't know poor Get Em was having surgery. :kiss2 for the Pirate for a quick recovery, B9B9B9 chants and :grouphug for you Toni.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

B9 B9 B9 B9 B9

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh my goodness! Had no idea. Sending gentle scritchies, thoughts of ice cream, and best wishes for quick healing and benign path reports.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor boy, I'm sorry he's feeling uncomfortable. Hoping for good path reports every which way.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My gosh the poor boy has been through it hasn't he. Good thoughts for quick healing and B9 results.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am joining the B9 chants! Poor guy - he's had so many surgeries. :(

Sending healing thoughts his way.

I know waiting for the test results will be hard - we are here for you.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Hoping he feels better soon.

Chanting B9 B9 B9!!!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hope he is feeling better tonight. My Meeka has had her pouch for years. She was 11 when I got her earlier this year. Her records indicate that she has had it drained several times over the years, but it has not been a problem in the eight months here. Sometimes it does fill up, but it always goes down on it's own. It doesn't bother her at all.

Guest goofydog

Thanks all for B9 chants and well wishes for my sweet boy. He finally seems to be resting while keping my feet overly warm :nappy And he's sporting my Jerry Murray Schwartz Varnberg t-shirt for good luck and to stiffle his wound licking tendancy!

Poor Baby please give him a lot of :kiss2 :kiss2 :kiss2 from us! And for mom we are sending a big :grouphug!!!!! Then we are starting to pray now and we are sending lots of good thoughts b9 b9 b9 b9 b9.... Chanting.... b9b9b9b9b9b9b9b9b9b9b9b9

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Your poor boy has been through so much. Sending a million B9's. Keep us posted.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Many prayers for B9 path report for The Pirate. Hugs to you Toni - so scary and tense while they go through this stuff. Many hugs and ear rubs from Maggie and I.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.