Ruby

rascalsmom

RUBY (RT's Stinker)

5/12/99--8/23/11

Yesterday Ruby went to run with the angels. :(

Ruby came to us in late 2002. I saw her picture on our adoption group's website, and knew she was Rascal's sister. Thus began my campaign to bring her home. My husband told me, "we don't need another dog"--we already had Rascal, and Buddy. I was persistent, and on November 4, 2002, Ruby became a permanent member of our family.

This was the first picture I saw of Ruby:

Ruby at GHG.jpg

There seemed to be some recognition, on Rascal's part, that she 'knew' this dog. Ruby, however, did not feel too good at first [hookworms], so it's hard to say if she remembered Rascal or not. At any rate, my heart delighted at my two "twins". :wub:

In those early years, they only played with each other, never with Buddy, and never with any other dog.

barneyfight.jpg

After a couple of years (I think) I was able to contact someone who knew them when they were puppies--she was the niece of the man who owned them, and she helped raise them, and even gave them their names. She told me that, as pups, they never really played with the rest of the litter--only each other; they were 'inseparable'. She named them Rascal and Stinker "because they were". :lol Apparently they were a bit naughty as puppies.

Years went by, and we took Ruby to Dewey several times. She took it in stride, but really only got 'happy' when she saw us putting the dog beds back in the van to come home. She was happiest being at home.

On the way home from Dewey:

rascalrubyinvan.jpg

We also went to Gettysburg several times. Again, not Ruby's favorite thing to do, but she was such a good girl, and never complained. :)

wornoutruby.jpg

Ruby did get very concerned when storms would come through, and the 4th of July was definitely not her favorite holiday. :(

She was also wary of things like hot air balloons....and remote control air planes....and kites:

Here, they are watching a kite.

rrkitewatching.jpg

Last April, Ruby hurt her neck. She could not walk, but with the help of a chiropractor, she got back on her feet! She did amazingly well, but over the past week seemed to steadily decline. By Monday she was having great difficulty getting up, and when we tried helping her, she cried in pain. Even after her injury, she never cried; so I knew she was having pain. By very early yesterday morning, it was obvious that things were even worse. We had discussed another chiropractic treatment the night before, and were planning to do that, but by morning we knew it would be too much to put her through. She had been through so much already, these past four months, and now she was in pain. Letting her go was the only thing we could do.

Ruby was a sweet girl. She loved food, walks, and sniffing around the back yard. She was quiet (well, mostly :lol ) and unassuming, and even though she seemed to be the 'leader' of the dogs, she ruled with a velvet paw. She simply had to be fed first, had to be in and out the door first [though Jack gave her a run for her money on the door thing :lol ], things like that. She never had a bad 'word' to say to any other dog, ever. She was truly my precious little gem, and I will miss her terribly.

Photo taken 8/22/11:

ruby82211.jpg

Rest in peace, my angel. Momma loves you.

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry. Rest well, sweetie.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm so sorry.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

I'm so sorry, she was so precious.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so sorry your girl is gone.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry for your loss. Ruby was a beautiful girl & how fortunate to have found her puppyhood playmate. And of course in finding a wonderful forever home. Godspeed Ruby! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm so sorry.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Melissa, I'm so very sorry. I know Ruby was so very special. I was really hoping she'd get past her injury. I'm sure she is cuddling with Elizabeth as I type, both as happy as can be.

RIP Ruby. Go find your friend Loca, and Phene, too.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I think my heart broke when I saw her name here. There are several sets of siblings on GT but Rascal and Ruby are the closest to my Emmy and Andy I have seen. I loved seeing their pictures and hearing stories about them. I'm so very sorry. Godspeed sweet girl.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

What a lovely tribute for a special girl. I'm so sorry for your loss. Run free, sweetheart.:f_pink

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson