It's Official

I'm sorry. I'm sure he is wondering what the heck happened to his world. Poor little guy.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

{{{{{{{{{{Poodle}}}}}}}}}}

{{{{{{{{{{Pam}}}}}}}}}}

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug :grouphug Poodle :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Tabby

I am so sorry. :(

Can I ask what you do to help him/her cope? What were the signs leading up to this? Sorry, to be nosey...Just want to learn.

Poodle :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm sorry Pam. sad.gif But Poodle is a fighter & he has you. Is he doing well otherwise? Could something else be bothering him? Blood sugar? Kidneys?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

eta: double post

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm sorry Pam. sad.gif But Poodle is a fighter & he has you. Is he doing well otherwise? Could something else be bothering him? Blood sugar? Kidneys?

His glucose was 127 today. The vet thinks this blindness has progressed rapidly and said a lot of dogs have problems with that.

Can I ask what you do to help him/her cope? What were the signs leading up to this? Sorry, to be nosey...Just want to learn.

I don't know how to help him cope besides not moving furniture, etc. I was told when he was diagnosed diabetic this would come. He really just started having big trouble yesterday.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Pam, I'm very sorry. Sheila went blind suddenly when she was 10, she had Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome. No rhyme nor reason for it. She was a fighter, too. I joined the group, Owners of Blind Dogs, and learned how I could help her. I used essential oils in the doorways (at the level of her nose) of rooms so she would know which room she was in and when she was entering/exiting a room, I wore a bracelet with bells on it when I was home so she would know where I was, I put a cat bell on my other dog for the same reason. I taught her when she was coming to a step, "step up", "step down", these little things really helped her acclimate. I didn't need to use the oils and bells for all that long, maybe 3 months, and she had it down pat. Initially, I did a lot of crying and started to baby her and then after about a short time of that I kicked myself in the butt and pulled it together, that wasn't going to help her - she was paying too much attention to my negativity, so I pulled it together and we did well. She was even able to go on walks...true to her willful self, she tried to lead! She lived another happy 5 years. My thoughts go out to you and Poodle as you go down this path, it will be bumpy, but you will guide Poodle and it will work out.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest PiagetsMom

I'm sorry, Pam. :grouphug

I had a miniature poodle years ago who had the degenerative eye disease that you see often in poodles. We didn't even realize she was having problems until we moved to a new house and she was having problems navigating. I will tell you though, that once she grew accustomed to the layout, and as long as we didn't move anything, she did well for quite a long time. The yard was a little tougher and I really had to watch her.

A sudden on-set blindness would be a challenge, but in a slower on-set I think they can often adjust quite well in familiar surroundings.

Edited by PiagetsMom

I'm sorry Pam.

Give Poodlum a kiss from me and his woolly relatives.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest KennelMom

Poodle :grouphug

Our blind gal has some days where she gets turned around and kinda freaks out, but for the most part she's adjusted really well. Losing their sight over a period of time usually gives the dog a chance to adjust. Since dogs don't rely on their sight like people do, it's usually harder on the owner than it is on the dog. It can be REALLY hard, but sometimes you just have to let them figure things out. That may mean bumping in to some things, but they will create a mental map of the areas they frequent. I will gently use my voice (and sometimes hands) to redirect Hanna if she freezes up and isn't sure where she is.

Aw, Pam, I'm so sorry. sad.gif Scoop up Poodle and give him a kiss or ten for me. wub.gif

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

His glucose was 127 today. The vet thinks this blindness has progressed rapidly and said a lot of dogs have problems with that.

I don't know how to help him cope besides not moving furniture, etc. I was told when he was diagnosed diabetic this would come. He really just started having big trouble yesterday.

I'm so sorry--I have a suggestion--I used to have a neighbor with a blind dog. She had a special tag made for him that said BLIND DOG so just in case, if he EVER got away from her, anyone who found him would know.

Also, she said she never moved things around, kept his favorite paths clear, etc. He really did very well, even living in the city!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck