Neck Injury--Ruby

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She prescribed cyproheptadine as an appetite stimulant. We got a Pepcid into her.

One more question....if anyone knows. How often should I be syringe feeding her? I forgot to ask the vet! Right now I am doing it twice daily, and trying to get 6-7 ounces of wet food into her each time. That isn't a lot of food for a greyhound! We offer her snacks throughout the day.

For an idea of what we are giving her, here's what she ate yesterday:

1/2 (large) can dog food

1/2 piece of toast with peanut butter

10 little pieces of chicken

3 ginger snaps

1 fig newton

about 15 Cheez-its

1/4 can dog food

4 or 5 "slice and bake" dog food 'cookies'

3 pieces of DH's beef jerky

I realize a lot of it isn't great, but those are the things she eats WILLINGLY. The dog food I have to syringe feed.

Does that seem like enough? It doesn't to me, but then again she's not burning many calories. Ruby was always the one I could count on for a clean bowl, so her not wanting to eat is very disturbing....:(

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Have you tried Fat Balls

make them small enough to just push down her throat. Several of my old dogs going thru medical issues LIVED on these for weeks!

raw hamberger

raw eggs (with shells)

molases

olive oil

wheat germ

gelatin

crushed total cereal

seems like there is something else in there too,, i'll have to research it: all mixed together, form small balls, feed raw - makes for easy pilling too.

good luck!

I'm always amazed at the determination and healing power of greyhounds!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

If she's having liver difficulty, it's even more important that she eat. But don't panic. The chiropractor vet may be of good guidance on the subject of helpful supplements, and I think you should ask him. But from what I know, milk thistle and CQ10 are very helpful. We've used both when one of our guys was on long-term antibiotics. We've also used them when his liver values were inexplicably iffy, and it (or something) brought them back to the normal range.

Our IBD dog has intermittent appetite problems. Pepcid or Zantac have worked well, but I've found that it takes longer than 10 minutes to be effective. I believe the time range on this stuff is 10 to 60 minutes, and something closer to 60 minutes is what it takes for us. Also I've found that sometimes it takes him longer to get started on food and that if I leave it down for a while, he'll get to it in his own time. And as someone else said, hand-feeding a couple bites sometimes gets him started enough that he'll go ahead and eat on his own. Oh, and also as Kudzu and others said, smelly food may be a turn-off, and bland things may work better.

Hugs and scritches to you and Ruby. I know it's a bumpy road, but you're both doing greyt even if it doesn't feel that way.

ETA: Isn't ginger supposed to help with nausea and digestion? Interesting that Ruby likes ginger snaps right now! :colgate

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I'm going to ask the chiropractor if he has any advice, but he is NOT a vet. He is a 'people' chiropractor who also treats animals.

I agree, if her liver is struggling, she really needs to eat! She has gotten so thin....:(

I guess a bit of good news is that she has pooped each of the past four days---that's got to be a good sign, right??

I think Denamarin isCoQ10 & milk thistle combined. Expensive but supposed to be better than 2 supplements separately. This is used for liver support.

I'd ask vet about high protein &/or hi cal food given possible liver or pancreas issues. I think hi protein or hi fat may be an issue w pancreatitis.

How about Ensure type liquids? That might be easier to deliver by syringe.

Do you think Ruby's head or neck position and comfort might be making a difference in her wanting to eat? Maybe it's a posture/pain issue rather than lack of appetite? Notice her position when she does accept food. Maybe you could try an elevated feeder or alter her position to see if it makes a difference.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

If she's having liver difficulty, it's even more important that she eat. But don't panic. The chiropractor vet may be of good guidance on the subject of helpful supplements, and I think you should ask him. But from what I know, milk thistle and CQ10 are very helpful. We've used both when one of our guys was on long-term antibiotics. We've also used them when his liver values were inexplicably iffy, and it (or something) brought them back to the normal range.

Our IBD dog has intermittent appetite problems. Pepcid or Zantac have worked well, but I've found that it takes longer than 10 minutes to be effective. I believe the time range on this stuff is 10 to 60 minutes, and something closer to 60 minutes is what it takes for us. Also I've found that sometimes it takes him longer to get started on food and that if I leave it down for a while, he'll get to it in his own time. And as someone else said, hand-feeding a couple bites sometimes gets him started enough that he'll go ahead and eat on his own. Oh, and also as Kudzu and others said, smelly food may be a turn-off, and bland things may work better.

Hugs and scritches to you and Ruby. I know it's a bumpy road, but you're both doing greyt even if it doesn't feel that way.

ETA: Isn't ginger supposed to help with nausea and digestion? Interesting that Ruby likes ginger snaps right now! :colgate

Ruby has always loved gingersnaps...and I figured they might help, if she's got an upset stomach, because yes, ginger is used for that.

Donna, the vet did tell me to be cautious about too much of the 'critical care' food--because of the possibility of pancreatitis.

She is too weak to stand up for any length of time--about 10 minutes is it for her--so she is eating in bed. When we syringe feed her she is generally on her side. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and is able to move her head around pretty well....even better since she's seeing the chiropractor.

The vet really feels that she doesn't want to eat because of some GI issue. We just aren't sure what that issue is. :(

Edited by rascalsmom

I know you've probably tried everything - cooked rice? Plain might be a little bland, but roll it around in some gravy and see what happens?

When Kasey hasn't had a desire to eat rice, almost ALWAYS worked. The last time around I added beef broth so the rice wasn't so plain....he lapped it up.

What about soft treats? Something that comes to mind is pill pockets, they are so mushy and full of smell to mask the pills Kasey loves them (he just doesn't know pills are in there).

Beef jerky was a good try - good that she ate that!

I wonder.....

When we go hiking we sometimes buy these gel packs/gummies. They are like an electrolyte like Gatorade/Powerade, but easier to carry around and keep your energy levels up. I wonder if that might help? They look like this - Energy Gels and Chews When we used to hike a lot with Kasey and if we would run out of water, he would drink some Gatorade/Powerade and get blue or pink lips afterwards, it was a hoot.

Glad to hear about her good news.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Keeping my fingers crossed that the appetite stimulant is successful goodluck.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Ruby is amazing. She is doing so well! We are now two weeks since the accident, and while she is nowhere near where she was prior to this, she is SOOO much better!

Things she can do:

--gets up on her own

--walks around the house on her own--she's even following me room-to-room again!

--goes and gets a drink on her own

--we are no longer using the slings outside (or inside either!). She does need a bit of 'steadying' when she poos, and she's still not crazy about that idea (no privacy!), but otherwise she falls into it. :( She is fine to pee on her own. :)

--she is actually trotting around the back yard! I think she's trying to get away from us, to have some privacy...but whatever! :lol

--she willingly eats, but only certain things. We are still doing a bit of syringe-feeding (canned dog food+baby rice cereal or potatoes), because she has gotten so very thin.

--yesterday, for the first time, she actually ate about 1/4 c. of kibble with some canned food on it!

--she is even eyeing up the couch, although she's not at all ready to get up and down from there!

It truly astounds me. Two weeks ago, I was sure she was dying before my eyes. :( What a horrific experience that was. I am so thankful that she is getting better.

She has seen the chiropractor three times, and is to go again one day this week. I really think it is the chiropractor who has helped her get this far. Some might say it was just time, but up until we went to see him, she was really not making a lot of progress. We were seriously considering euthanasia. He tells us she still has a vertebra that is rather jammed up, and that's why she's walking sort of sideways (especially when she's tired), so hopefully he'll get that resolved in the next treatment or two.

My little girl is, as my friend used to say about her mom, "a tough old broad". :)

Thanks so much for asking!

Edited by rascalsmom

:yay:confetti:yay

:clap:banana:clap

:cookie:kiss2

i could find more icons, but this might do for now!!!

Congratulations Ruby,, way to hang in there,,

and congratulations mom and dad,, thank you for being patient and loving when things didn't look so good!

ok one more

:bounce8

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Hoping the good news continues!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, I'm so glad! It sounds like you found a really good chiro! Who was it? What greyt news.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

SO happy to hear this great news! Way to go Ruby & cheers to your Mom & Dad! confetti.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis