Neck Injury--Ruby

I'd still try the acupuncture too - it really helped Cody with her back injury!

And she looks great!!

Also if her liver values are off, try some milk thistle - it's a great supplement for liver support!

You can get it at GNC or other stores that have vitamin-y things - I think my grocery store even has it...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Have you tried Nutritional Yeast? It didn't work for Morgan but others swear by it. It's available at the health food store. I thought it took a couple of days after antibiotic use before the stomach returned to normal.

I would not go the tough love route with a dog with any sort of medical issue. Yes, a healthy dog will eventually eat but a dog with anorexia or inappetence for a medical reason will starve themselves.

I would have the blood work re-run and check kidney and liver values.

I would also try supplementing with DogSureif you haven't already - it was the only thing Princess would eat consistently and kept her weight at least in the decent range.

Good luck :)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest ss556

Melissa, the video is amazing. I didn't read all of the recent pages here, but it seems there is some good advice as to what to try to feed Ruby. I would give the milk thistle for the liver or you can ask your vet if there is something else as I used to give Alan a dog supplement, but I cannot remember the name and do check the liver enzymes again. doG forbid it is pancreatitis as my niece is recovering from that painful attack now. Maybe she is sore from the chiro. Sending my prayers.

I would not go the tough love route with a dog with any sort of medical issue. Yes, a healthy dog will eventually eat but a dog with anorexia or inappetence for a medical reason will starve themselves.

yes, I agree, and we just fed her a bowl of canned dog food/baby cereal. She NEEDS food in her stomach.

I would have the blood work re-run and check kidney and liver values.

DH and I discussed it at lunchtime, and if tomorrow is the same as today, and she doesn't want to eat, we're calling the vet about rechecking her bloodwork.

I would also try supplementing with DogSureif you haven't already - it was the only thing Princess would eat consistently and kept her weight at least in the decent range.

Good luck :)

All she ate today was the few bites of meat roll, a hot dog, and the dog food/baby cereal that DD and I syringed into her. :(

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

I agree that you shouldn't go the tough-love route when the issue is medical! If her liver is a problem, she needs milk thistle. It's not wise to do a lot of wait-and-see with the liver. So something like milk thistle that helps the liver will go further toward improving her appetite than changing foods will. On the other hand, do whatever you must to get her to eat, because not eating makes the liver worse. Vicious circle. Break it any way you can.

Does your chiropractor not do acupuncture also? Ours does both, and acupuncture can do wonderful things for organ problems.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

FWIW, Melissa, I'd feed her just about whatever, drawing the line only at large quantities of extremely salty/fatty things and things that are actually poisonous.

When Batman was ill, he very quickly lost interest in kibble so I quit offering it. I would fix his bowl like a divided cafeteria plate -- canned tripe in this quadrant, scrambled eggs next to them, meat mix next to that, spaghettios in one glob here -- so as to improve the chances he'd eat *something*. Next meal I'd offer more of the things he'd eaten the meal before and less of the things he hadn't.

If he showed any interest in something the people were eating and it was safe to give him, he got it. I lost a couple of lean cuisine chicken/noodle lunches that way :lol . A spoonful of ice cream or drizzle of honey/molasses on top of it all helped as well. He would usually eat graham crackers and Pepperidge Farm cinnamon bread (no raisins), and we often used those to fill in the chinks.

Sending more hugs and lots of prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Another trick to try is to just dab a tiny smear of something really good on her nose. Sometimes, either through the process of the illness or the medications they're on, they can lose their sense of smell. When that happens, they can lose interest in eating. I've sometimes found that if they just get the taste of it they'll eat a little.

If she licks it (which is automatic) and tucks her head down, curls and smacks her lip and looks disgusted or turns away, then don't keep on with that, but it's worth a shot.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

she looks amazing in that video! What Batmom said worked very well for Sugar when I was struggling to get her to eat. By separating the different things I was offering, she could eat what she wanted, without it being "contaminated" :rolleyes: by something she didn't want.

We took her to the vet this afternoon. She's checking Ruby's blood work, to see if there's anything going on, causing her to not want to eat (such as pancreatitis). We should know the results by tomorrow. Ruby DID gain a pound since she was there almost two weeks ago, so at least she's not continuing to lose weight. Then again, she had a harness on this time, and did not the last time :unsure .

I got a bottle of "flavor enhancer" for the food--basically brewer's yeast. Might work for Jack, too, since he's not eating very well lately.

Then we went to get dog food, treats, cat food and litter, so Ruby got a little 'outing' at the food store. :)

Home now, and worn out. Maybe the outing (vet, store) will stimulate her appetite a bit.

We're leaving for GIG tomorrow (no laptop), but just wanted you to know we're thinking about you and Ruby, and hoping for positive news when we get back.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

WELL....the blood work is 'perfect'. So apparently Ruby is just very spoiled. :lol She is at least coming to her bowl to eat today, even if she's only eating the spaghettios and not much of the dog food. :)

Mmmmmmm, spaghettios!

Good girl, Ruby!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

OMG, on the couch! You GO, Ruby!!!!

Spaghettios and the sofa -- a winning combination!

Fortunately it was not spaghettios ON the sofa.... :lol

Yesterday Ruby tried running outside a little bit with Rascal and Jack. It was by no means pretty--her back end sort of slides around to the front--but she definitely tried! Made me just a bit nervous....

She is beginning to eat a little better, too. :yay Nothing like normal yet, but better.

Keep up the good work, mom & Ruby!