Neck Injury--Ruby

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad to see such a postive update! :yay :yay :yay

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Today's Ruby update. :)

--Today Ruby is able to go from the house out to the patio. It is only one step down, but until today she was unwilling (and I was afraid to let her!) to do that step. She can also get back into the house. :)

--She also was quite resistant to her syringe feeding this morning, which I expect is a good sign!

--She ate about 1/3 of a can of dog food (chunks in gravy) this morning, standing at her table. She did not eat very much of the 1/2 cup of kibble I put under it, though.

--At lunch she ate about 1/2 package of deli chicken (those little prepackaged tubs--Hillshire Farms). :chow

--She also pooped today without any support!

--She is up and walking around in the house a LOT more than a few days ago. She is once again following me from room to room. :rolleyes:

I am still concerned that she's not eating enough. However, she IS pooping at least once a day--not as much as she used to, but pooping nonetheless. That's a good sign, right?? The first week she was home she only pooped THREE TIMES the whole week. Maybe I am just impatient, I want her to eat eat eat so she can regain the weight she's lost. Not to mention, with her not too interested in eating, the other two dogs aren't eating as well, either. :(

Ruby's recovery has been, to me, nothing short of amazing. To think that two weeks ago, she was in the hospital, unable to get up on her own.

I want to thank every one of you who have followed her story, and given me encouragement, and sent prayers for my sweet Ruby. It means the world to me. :wubsite I am also very grateful to our vet, who tolerated phone calls at home from me, who patiently explained things to me...she is more than our vet, she's our friend, too. Also, I am grateful to Ginni, the woman in my bell choir, who suggested that we take Ruby to the chiropractor; she told me about him while Ruby was still in the hospital, and then the following Sunday she again URGED me to give it a try. Without her repeated urgings, I am not sure Ruby would still be with us today.

I will continue to update this thread as she progresses....tomorrow night she's going to the chiropractor again, so hopefully we'll see even MORE improvement after that--and hopefully an improved appetite, too! :hope

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Really wonderful to hear how well she is doing, Melissa. I'm so happy for you.

Sending best "hungry tummy" thoughts to your precious girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thank goodness! This is such encouraging news, Melissa. We will keep sending out good thoughts, and hope that she feels better and better.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Here is what my husband did with the screen door (after he replaced the screen). We knew it was going to get warmer this week, so we needed an instant solution (not something we'd have to send for). He found this screen guard at Home Depot, put it up, and then added a few strips of surveyor's tape, just to make it MORE visible to the dogs. We'll take the tape off once they get used to this.

screendoor.jpg

I took a short video of Ruby walking around outside, but it's taking forever to load to Photobucket...

I swear the older they are the tougher they are! I'm so glad to hear that Ruby's improving so much. When my Agatha wasn't eating really well, I got some canned Tripe and that perked up everyone's appetite. Maybe it would do the same for Ruby.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

OK, here's the very short video. Just remember, two weeks ago, she could not even stand up without help!!

My link

She can even make it across those bumpy "cobblestones"! :)

Edited by rascalsmom

OMG!! She looks terrific!

I think all of us were as scared as you were. I know, in my case, one of the first things I'd do on this amazing site

was to CHECK ON RUBY!!!

I'm so glad she's doing so well.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Incredible video. GO RUBY!!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

OK, here's the very short video. Just remember, two weeks ago, she could not even stand up without help!!

My link

She can even make it across those bumpy "cobblestones"! :)

What a wonderful update and video! I'm thrilled for Ruby, you and all your family! :colgate

How wonderful to see her, walking and looking fairly comfortable!! It brought tears to my eyes, especially as I imagine Renie would have looked a lot like her if she'd lived to grow old.

I'm SO pleased to see her doing so well. As others have said, this is the first thread I check when I come in here.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Give me an R! Give me a U! Give me a B! Give me a Y!

What's that spell? Ruby! What's that spell? RUBY!!!!!!!!! :yay:confetti: :yay

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Ruby had her chiropractic adjustment yesterday. Since then, she seems to be uncomfortable. :( She couldn't seem to settle last night, after we went to bed, and I ended up getting up, letting her out (she pottied), and then of course I couldn't get to sleep till after 2:00. :angry:

She still does not want to eat. Well, I guess she wants to eat SOME stuff, but not 'good' stuff. Last night we grilled some chicken, and put wing dust on it--she LOVED that, believe it or not, and ate a bunch. But this morning, she only ate a few bits of the Natural Balance dog food roll, then quit. I also bought some frozen Bil-Jac yesterday, and she won't even consider it. :( Fortunately Jack and Rascal seem to like it--they aren't eating well either. :angryfire

Now, I think this could be various things.

--She still isn't feeling well--the vet suggested her liver values were a bit higher than normal, her bilirubin was up; and there was the possibility that she had pancreatitis, although the bloodwork didn't really indicate that. Should I get the bloodwork rechecked? Although it does seem odd to me that if she doesn't feel well, she'd eat WING DUSTED CHICKEN! :lol

--Maybe she is just getting spoiled. :eek Oh, big shock there, huh? Giving a dog anything she'll eat might tend to 'spoil' them for dog food...

--Maybe she is enjoying the attention. After her chicken-fest last night, I felt we should give her something else. So we made up some baby food oatmeal and syringed that in. She took it all quite willingly--more willingly than my kids ever did :lol --as my husband is squirting it into her mouth and saying, "goo goo ga ga, eat up little baby bird", and me laughing the whole time.

--We thought maybe the antibiotic she was given, for the possible UTI, was upsetting her tummy. She took the last one yesterday morning, so she's not had ANY pills today--I did not give her the Pepcid or the appetite stimulant because neither of them seemed to make a huge difference in her appetite. I was SO hoping she'd start eating more, not having any meds in her stomach. :(

So, possible solutions to the above are:

--Recheck blood values, to rule out (or in) any liver malfunction

--TOUGH LOVE--eat the dog food or don't eat. This is kind of scary, since she is still very thing.

--Keep force feeding her until she decides she's had enough and starts to eat on her own.

Any thoughts?

I think sometimes chiro makes them feel uncomfortable. Phene went Monday morning and hasn't seemed right since. I guess the same happens to us.

Is it possible that her meds may be upsetting her tummy?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Chiro has worked miracles on ME twice. One of the Drs told me it was part of the healing process to go through what would otherwise appear as a setback or lack of progress-in other words what you described. I found this to be true in my case too. Don't know what to do about her appetite. There are some accupressure points that may help, rose oil aroma may help(I put some on a dogdanna and then put it on them) and tripe is great too. I think best of all is the prayer though so I'll pray for her appetite to wake up! For Rosy::kiss2

racindog, yes, the chiropractor did tell us we could see a bit of a setback after an adjustment. He told me to bring her back in two weeks, unless she seems worse; then bring her back next week instead.

The appetite thing is killing me. I am so frustrated with that!!

Thanks for the appetite-awakening-prayers...I hope they work. I've been praying for that, too.