Neck Injury--Ruby

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruby is doing OK today. Last night, we left her in the living room and before we went to sleep we heard something...I jumped out of bed, and she wasn't in her bed! I found her in the kitchen, probably 12-14 feet from where we left her! I have no idea how she got there, since she can't stand on her own...but anyway, we got her up in the slings, and took her to the bedroom with us, and she started peeing when we were almost there....all over my foot, my bathrobe, the carpet, but who cares...got that cleaned up and her settled in and she slept all night.

She peed again this morning, this time in the living room when we got her up in the sling (the one sling is pressing on her bladder, hence peeing).

I did get her to eat almost a can (6 oz. can) of "maximum calorie" food. Last night she ate "canine carry-out" treats, cheese, and ham for Eric when he got home. She is drinking well.

One of my friends came to see her this morning--the one who used to babysit our dogs--and Ruby seemed to remember her.

I talked to our vet today, and she reassured me that it's okay for her to NOT be on steroids; also told me to give it 7-10 days before we feel we need to make a decision....if you know what I mean.

Furthermore, I asked her if she'd come to the house when "the time" comes for either of the girls, and she said she would. That is reassuring, too. I love our vet.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest ss556

Melissa, I'm so sorry to read about Ruby. My heart goes out to you and her. Sending my prayers and hoping for the best possible outcome.

Melissa, it's great news that she moved to the kitchener on her own! :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Some good news to report. :)

Yesterday we managed to get two cans of the "maximum nutrition" food into Ruby, along with things like cheese, ham, treats. She's drinking water well, too.

My DH took the afternoon off, and I took DD to her piano lesson. We returned about 40 minutes later, and DH says, "you aren't going to believe what your little girl did"--I thought he was going to say she pooped all over the place :lol . He said he'd walked out to the garage to get a beer, and in that minute or so it took him to do that---when he returned to the living room, RUBY WAS STANDING UP!! She was off the dog bed and standing there looking at him!!! Unsteady, to be sure, but she GOT UP BY HERSELF!! :yay

I am so encouraged by this!! The old gal has the determination, apparently! Today she's moving her front legs a little better when we sling-walk her, but the back legs are slower, and the left one especially is knuckling under with each step. But hey, she's making some progress! Is it common for the healing to start in the front and work its way back, perhaps??

This morning she was entirely off the dog bed--had maneuvered herself from it to the floor.

I told her she can't give up--Jack needs her! He hid in my bedroom for the two days she was in the hospital, and was acting more weird than usual--as soon as we brought her home, we was out of hiding. Poor fellow was like a ship without his captain--I guess nobody told him his name was BTR CAPTAIN Jack!

Edited by rascalsmom

continuing to send prayers for Ruby!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Great news on her improvement. I do believe that back end coordination is always a bit more difficult.

Continued prayers.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

We got Ruby outside early this a.m., and she initially seemed to be using her feet a little better, especially the front ones. Then she took a nice long pee. After that, though, she was tired, and wasn't moving as well. :( To be expected, I am sure.

She did not want to eat yet today--I tried the maximum calorie food (just let me say, what a mess that is. She prefers to lap it off my fingers instead of out of a bowl....it's like baby food with sand mixed in. Yuck.), and I tried chicken. No go. Eric said he got her to eat a lot of chicken last night, while Emily and I went to her school's musical. I didn't feel like going, but it was good for me, and I enjoyed it. I think I needed to get out.

I don't know if I should try syringe feeding her...or just give it a couple of hours. I do know that I cannot do this for a long period of time...even though she's 'smallish' as greyhounds go (60 pounds at a good weight, and she is no longer that :(), it is very taxing physically, to get her up and about. And we MUST use two people, there's no way to do it alone. I know, I know, it's much more difficult for HER, but I am not a spring chicken anymore either.....

Sending prayers that she will get there, Melissa. You and Eric and Emily are doing a wonderful job.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We got Ruby outside early this a.m., and she initially seemed to be using her feet a little better, especially the front ones. Then she took a nice long pee. After that, though, she was tired, and wasn't moving as well. :( To be expected, I am sure.

It's absolutely to be expected that she would tire very easily, and also not unsurprising that she would regain the use of her front legs first, depending on where and what the injury/swelling is. I might have missed it, but why did you decide not to give steroids? They do have some nasty side effects to be sure, but they can be invaluable with spinal injuries. Not a criticism, just curious.

I'm so pleased to hear that she's showing some signs of improvement, even if it is two steps forward and one back. That also is to be expected I think. I hope to hear that she's continuing to improve - and I'm still sending many good thoughts and gentle scritches.

Oh, and whatever you do don't feel guilty for going out, especially to an event for your daughter. Ruby was very well cared for in your absence and you need the break. :bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I talked to our vet about the lack of steroids, and she explained that even though that always used to be the thinking--neck injury=give steroids, she said they've found that the studies don't really prove that it always helps. They did give her a steroid injection when we took her in initially. Our vet is fine with Ruby not being on steroids.

Gosh, I thought they always gave steroids for injuries like this. They are great at reducing swelling, though do have some side effects. Fingers crossed that she continues to improve.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Ah, Ruby, you've gotta keep getting better and better, sweet girl.

Melissa, I know this has to be exhausting, physically and emotionally. You're all in my prayers!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Ah, Ruby, you've gotta keep getting better and better, sweet girl.

Melissa, I know this has to be exhausting, physically and emotionally. You're all in my prayers!

Most definitely. :(

How to determine how much time is enough, to give her a chance, yet not wanting to put her through too much, if she'll not be able to at least get around on her own at some point....I don't need 100% recovery, just enough that she can get around by herself. That's all. I don't mind gimpiness....Our vet has told us 7-10 days, and we should know a lot more...today is the 5th day.

Thank you for the update as we are continuing to have Ruby in our prayers and thoughts. I don't know if my story will be of any comfort to you but it may give you some HOPE. My Brandi was paralyzed in the back legs for about 10 days, brought her home, did the sling thing and she eventually walked just fine again . On heavy dosages of pred for a long period of time and lost a lot of muscle tone. Long story short we did PT three times a week and she saw the holistic vet on a monthly basis for acu/chiro. She stayed on the pred for seven years and her kidneys/liver were fine. What I am saying is that Ruby has a good chance of pulling out of this just like Brandi did. Sending our love, hugs to you Melissa!

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg